1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The scientific consensus on global warming

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Drew, Mar 14, 2007.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    And let's be clear: the companies that are profiting off efficiency and conservation would be doing so regardless of environmental factors.

Reducing overhead is something corporations Like To Do. They're now realizing they can reduce overheads by increasing efficiency and Help the Environment at the same time. Profit and progress, hand in hand. Shocking.

But the point is, even if they weren't helping the environment, they'd still be increasing profitability.

Is this intended to be a serious criticism?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How else do you think he should live and move around Darkie? The man most certainly believes that he does more for the cause by going around spreading the word even if he is forced to pollute by going by, taking the bike just takes too long. I still dont get your criticisms, your point is that because some of the people who are informing about global warming dont live ecological perfect lives global warming itself dont exist? That seems to be your criticism here?

3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

No, I am dubious of claims that the world is ending coming from people who create enormous amounts of pollution. How do I expect them to get around...how about like everybody else, in cars that get better gas mileage, in commercial aircraft that use a lot less fuel per person per mile, and why does he need 3 mansions to move around? Assuming he needs 3 home (yeah, right) why can't they be normal 2,000 sq ft homes.

Honestly...if you believed that they world was going to end if we didn't do something, would you be living like Al Gore, even if you had the means?

And no, he doesn't do squat for the cause...those who believe the sky is falling believe him, and those that don't won't believe him, and the undecided are few and far between. If anything he is a lightning rod for controversy, at least on this topic, due to his past statements of hyperbole and hypocritical life.

If you want an example of someone I have a little respect for on this topic, as much as I can't stand him, at least Leo DiCaprio tries to live the lifestyle he promotes, flying commercial when possible, as far as I can tell living in one extravagant home and driving economical cars.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    But you're still really saying that because Al Gore doesn't live what he preaches, global warming doesn't exist. That's not really a sensible argument, sorry. It's not like global warming winks in and out of existence depending on the actions of Al Gore.

I certainly believe that Gore has done more to raise the awareness about this pressing issue than anyone else before him. He might not convince most Republicans of anything that goes against the party line, but his influence has thankfully reached far beyond the borders of the US, and other nations and countries unburdened by the Republican propaganda have been far more willing to listen to what he's had to say (and also do something about it).

5. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

No, I am saying that if an "expert" like Al Gore doesn't believe that he needs to change his behaviour then why should I?

But again, thanks to another person for believing that I am too stupid to state what I mean.

I am outta here for a while...sick and tired of all of you telling me what I am saying. :toofar: :wave:

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not that I'm overly keen on defending Gore if he really isn't doing all that he could in terms of being environmentally-friendly, but the apparent "dirt" that you have on him really isn't all that shocking. Ok, he's rich and has 3 mansions... so do many other people in the US. I'm sure that by the standards of the rich in the US, those 3 mansions aren't really worth mentioning. And unless he's built them from the ground up to waste energy (which I doubt), it means that he's bought them from someone else who had different ideas about what being wasteful in that department means. I probably don't need to tell you that those mansions are most likely investments, not bought just in case Al Gore suddenly decides that he needs 3 of them at once.

Of course, you COULD blame him that he didn't retrofit all of them to be energy-efficient, but without knowing a lot more about those supposed mansions, it's rather pretentious to throw accusations around left and right.

As for "moving around in fleets of Expeditions or Suburbans", again, since you offer no source, it's anyone's guess how real such a generalization is.

As for "they jet set all around the world in private aircraft"... more or less as above, but considering that Gore and his entourage are flying all around the world to spread the word, I think that it's a bit naive to expect that they could coordinate everything equally well and equally fast if they had to rely on commercial aircraft.

These are just my common sense opinions in response your unsubstantiated claims of Gore's excessive polluting.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It's also worth pointing out that, last I heard, Gore was in the process of converting his mansions to use solar energy and be 'green'-ish.

Not that I'm the biggest fan of Gore, mind.

8. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here's an interesting one. The entire article is worth the read, but here's a snippet.

Source: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/19/MNGE1BECPI1.DTL

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And evidently, a lot of people agree with you. Gore has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Peace Prize? What does environmental awareness have to do with the Peace Prize? Or is he getting the nomination for something else he's done?

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    See Here

Al Gore has been nominated for his work to make the world aware of global warming. Maybe if we all concentrate on and worry about global warming we won't have time to fight with each other?

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The last Peace price wasnt much about peace either, it nowadays seems to go mostly to people who are considering doing "good" things.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, perhaps it's the kind of prize you get when you've done something supposedly significant and yet you don't fit in any of the other categories.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.