1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Riddle Game

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lost Meme, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cool. Go me.

Um, here is the only one I can think of. If you are unfamiliar with last year's Lions rugby tour of New Zealand, then replace the word "Lions' with the name of any other useless sports team you can think of (like Tottenham Hotspur, for example):

What is your wife trying to tell you if she's wearing a Lions shirt in bed?

2. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

^ That she is now the King of the Bedroom and you have to submit to whatever whim she fancies?

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Is this an actual riddle or a joke?

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It's time for you to do the laundry?

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I would say that that is more of a joke than a riddle. So...

Take three-quarters of fortune connected with chance
    And one-half of a sprightly agreeable dance,
    To these add two-thirds of what serves to restrain,
    And a General who brings twenty-five in his train;
    In all three united at once may be seen
    The glory of Rome and of Shacklewell Green.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I thought it was a riddle. The answer was "You aren't going to score tonight." Anyway, seeing as I took so long to respond, carry on with Bahir the Red's one.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Nice tough riddle Bahir.

Seeing that no one guessed anything, let's try to puzzle this out.

The first word is probably "Luck" Store 3 of its 4 letters.

The second word... I don't know much about dancing, but it might be the can can... or cha cha.

The third word... I thought "rope" but you can't pick 2/3's of its letters. Maybe someone else knows this one.

No idea who's the general.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

A sprightly dance could also be a jig.

Something which retrains might be a chain.

General Hannibal had how many elephants?

Romans were known for plumbing - baths and aquaducts. Shacklewell Green might be a place near London, which had a famous bath.

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Still not correct. I'll say this though, the answers of the lines in the riddle will name the first part of a school in Shacklewell.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Dumb question - wth are we supposed to look for with the answer? Is it someone's name?

11. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This sounds like a riddle made, and only known, by the few students that went to the school.

12. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

I'll just reveal the answer then...

fortune connected with chanse: LUCk
    a sprightly agreeable dance:REel
    what serves to restrain: TIe
    and a general who brings twenty-five in his train: A

LUCRETIA. Lucretia Mott of the society of friends (Quakers) set up a school for girls in Shacklewell.

Ok, an easier one then:

This creature, part man and part tree,
    hates the termite as much as the flea.
    His tracks do not match,
    and his limbs may detach,
    Once he's not a strange creature to see.

13. Harbourboy

Bahir, I still don't understand that last riddle even after seeing the answer. Your next one does not look any easier.

14. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Reel is a dance? The letter A is a general? Whatever.
    My first guess for the new one is an old man with a cane. Part man and part tree, hates termite and flea, tracks don't match, and a cane can be 'detached'. But the 'once he's not a strange creature to see' part I'm not sure about. If it just means he's not strange (unusual), than that works, but if it means it isn't unusual to see him once, but it is more than once, than I haven't a clue.

15. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I understand Bahir's first riddle. I had the idea of how to solve it, just didn't pick the right words to get anywhere.

Reel is a dance indeed - think Virginia reel.

The general was a bit obscure, but that's what riddles do to their clues. The letter A is the general that leads a train of 25 letters in the alphabet. Bah.

And the last line with the Romans and Shackwell thing... only serves to confirm your answer once you got it. Even if you don't know the last line but still managed to form a name out of the first 4 clues, you still have a reasonable guess.

16. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

A man on stilts?

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Peg Leg Pete the Pirate? Or any one with a peg leg?

18. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Nakia is correct, but a man with a cane would probably work as well. Still, Nakia had the correct answer (someone with a peg leg), and she is up next.

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hurray!

I don't think this one has been posted and it might cause a little trouble--I hope.

"I am mother and father, but never birth or nurse. I'm rarely still, but I never wander. What am I? "

20. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

An organism's cell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.