1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Riddle Game

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lost Meme, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

ok. Here's another logic puzzle since I don't have a riddle handy.

Four guys need to cross a bridge in the dark. They have only one flashlight, and the bridge will only support the weight of two of them at a time. So two will cross at a time, one guy brings back the flashlight, and repeat until everybody ends up on the other side.

Now the four guys take a different amount of time to cross the bridge: 1 min, 2 min, 5 min and 10 min. As a pair, they always travel at the pace of the slower guy.

What's the fastest way to get everybody across?

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    19 minutes - have the 1 min and 2 min guys cross, send the 1 min guy back, rinse, repeat with the other two. Total = 2 min + 5 min + 10 min + 2 crossings back alone by the 1 min guy.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The 1 minute guy crosses first with the flashlight. Since the other 3 can't see, they fall into the river and swim across. :hahaerr: Man, I hate word problems.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can shave 2 minutes off of dmc's 19 minutes by reordering.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31

BTA - not going to post the solution?
    He has given everyone a hint anyhow. ;)

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Obviously you want to get 5 and 10 crossing at the same time in order to eliminate the 5 minute crossing time. You also want neither to make a return trip so you would want to do something like this.

1 Min and 2 min cross - 1 Min returns (3 Minutes total)
    5 min and 10 min cross - 2 min returns (12 minutes total)
    1 min and 2 min cross (2 minutes total)

Total 17 minutes.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31

You got it JSBB!

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

This one is really bad. Bonus points are available for anyone who identifies where I found this one.

There are three men in a boat with four cigarettes but no matches. How do they manage to smoke?

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They throw one of the cigarettes overboard so that they are now a cigarette 'lighter'

[cue mass groans]

This riddle is in the ever popular Stu's Book of Riddles but I suspect that is not where you got it from.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

They use a lighter. Who said it's law that you use matches when starting a fire or lighting up a cigarette? :p

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Harbourboy has got it. The Riddler used that one in one of the Adam West Batman episodes.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh man, that means I have to come up with another one from my memory of Stu's Book of Riddles.....

What is open when it is shut and shut when it is open?

13. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

a light switch. you open the connection to shut off the light. then you shut the connetion to turn on the light.

14. Harbourboy

Not quite. That would be what is On when it shut and Off when it is open.

15. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

well I can't really think of any way to explain an electrical circuit.

16. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

This riddle is realy hard! Give us a clue!

17. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

A drawbridge if memory serves

18. Harbourboy

DarkStrider is close enough. The answer is supposed to be the Tower Bridge in London but as that is a drawbridge - it's your turn.

19. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I am the one who brought the corn to the Wampanoag thousands of years ago. I am black with wings, and I also hop on the ground; Who am I?

Softball time

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.