1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Riddle Game 2

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

From the heat - lightbulbs stay warm for a good while, and you could simply test the switches, each time you walk in with the light off you could feel the bulb. If you started by flicking two switches, then a cold bulb would indicate for certain that the other switch was the one that operated the light. If you've got a warm bulb, you'd then have to flick one of the switches again, and whether the bulb was then hot or cold would tell you whether that was the right switch.

EDIT: whether you'd get this first time seems mainly dependent on luck, but it's feasible (1/3 probability). I can't think of a 100% solution just yet, but I'll keep pondering... :hmm:

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Magpie gave me an idea...

Turn #1 switch on -- leave it on for several seconds. Turn #1 switch off. Turn #2 switch on. Open the door.

If the light is on, #2 is the switch.
    If the light is off and hot, #1 is the switch.
    If the light if off and cool, #3 is the switch.

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Yes T2 that is the answer have a shiny balloon on a stick, there's candyfloss for anyone who wants it

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    'First, the fish must be caught.'
    That is easy: a baby, I think, could have caught it.
    'Next, the fish must be bought.'
    That is easy: a penny, I think, would have bought it.

'Now cook me the fish!'
    That is easy, and will not take more than a minute.
    'Let it lie in a dish!'
    That is easy, because it already is in it.

'Bring it here! Let me sup!'
    It is easy to set such a dish on the table.
    'Take the dish-cover up!'
    Ah, that is so hard that I fear I'm unable!

For it holds like glue-
    Holds the lid to the dish, while it lies in the middle:
    Which is easiest to do,
    Un-dish-cover the fish, or dishcover the riddle?

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    As I can't make head nor tail of Bruno's riddle ( :lol: ), I'll post another, simpler one.

What's the only English word that has 3 double letters in it.

For example, apple has one and success has 2.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think Brunos riddle is pie, but am not sure.

BA, I did that riddle in middle school, it was my teachers favourite. Iirc it's Bookkeeper :)

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You can't post a riddle until you answer one correctely, or properly invoke the IJ rule.

8. T2Bruno

Media:
    Now, now... the one I posted is actually fairly easy. Some may have seen it before -- it is the Queen's riddle in Alice in Wonderland.

9. DarkStrider

And the victorians delighted in eating them as do I, it is an oyster

EDIT: typo

[ April 19, 2006, 12:22: Message edited by: DarkStrider ]

10. T2Bruno

Media:
    Darkstrider has it.

11. DarkStrider

Softball for Barmy

How many birth days does the average man have?

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    One, unless I'm very much mistaken :lol:

Cheeky swine.

13. DarkStrider

Correct Barmy, have a balloon on a stick

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    Alright, don't take the piss!

You are on an island in the middle of a lake. The lake is in a remote part of the country and there has never been a bridge connecting the island to the mainland. Every day a tractor and wagon gives hay rides around the island. Puzzled as to how the tractor had gotten onto the island, you ask around and find out that the tractor was not transported to the island by boat or by air. Nor was it built on the island. Explain how the tractor got there?

Old but some may not have heard it?

15. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Gotten? Gotten!

Either the lake is extremely shallow, or else it gets extremely cold in winter and the lake freezes. (How deep would the ice have to be to support a tractors weight?) Either way, it was driven across.

I'm off to the Lake District for a week, so if I'm right someone else can take it.

16. T2Bruno

Media:
    Really REALLY big tires!!!

Probably driven across the ice like Carc said or the lake is product of a dam and the tractor was there before the lake was filled.

17. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

easy the tractor was driven across the lake during an extreme drought that caused the lake to dry up.

18. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Carcaroth was right with the ice and so on. I know this. So proceed.

19. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Thank you kindly Bahir,

What common chemical compound is represented by the letters H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O?

20. DarkStrider

Water (H to O) = H2O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.