1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Riddle Game 2

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Pretty bad, T2Bruno:

"ONE WORD" is the answer.

I don't think there is a word in the English language that contains just those seven letters (I'm a scrabble player).

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, guilty as charged. Your turn.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you break me,
    I do not stop working.
    If you touch me,
    I may be snared.
    If you lose me,
    Nothing will matter.
    What am I?

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

6. T2Bruno

Media:
    Heart.

7. dmc

Media:
    T2Bruno is up.

8. T2Bruno

Media:
    Let's use one from history:

A beautiful crown was made of gold and encrusted with jewels. However, the king suspects his jeweler of fraud, not using all the gold the king provided for the crown and keeping the remaining gold (even though the crown is the correct weight).

The king brings in his royal scientist and tells the scientist to prove the fraud without damaging the crown. How does the scientist prove fraud on the part of the jeweler?

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

By comparing density - chuck the crown in water to see how much it displaces (which won't damage the gold because it's inert) and then work out density = mass/volume and compare it with what you'd expect for the crown with pure gold and gems. If it's different, then you know the gold has been spliced with something else.

10. T2Bruno

Media:
    Correct, your turn The Magpie.

11. The Magpie

Time to get medieval:

In former days my father and mother, Abandoned me dead, lacking breath
    Or life or being. Then one began, A kinswoman kind, to care for and love me;
    Covered me with her clothing, wrapped me in her raiment, With the same affection she felt for her own;
    Until by the law of my life's shaping, Under alien bosom I quickened with breath.
    My foster mother fed me thereafter, Until I grew sturdy and strengthened for flight.
    Then of her dear ones, of daughters and sons, She had the fewer for what she did.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    an abandoned egg of one bird, being taken into another's nest to hatch, then feasting on its foster-siblings? I was going to say "snake" except for that "strengthened for flight bit." I have no idea what bird, tho.

13. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

That would be the Cuckoo. The mother lays the egg in the nest of another bird and chucks out one of the orriginal eggs. (Birds can count) After the chick hatches it pushes the remaining eggs/chicks out of the nest until it has the undivided attention of it's "foster" parents.

There was some great footage on springwatch a couple of months back.

14. The Magpie

[​IMG] Well, Rally's logic almost took her there, but in the end the cat gets the cream.

Allez Carcaroth!

15. Carcaroth

Maths again, hopefully not one already taken.

Complete the following sequence:

6, 25, 64, 81, 32, ?

16. The Magpie

17. Carcaroth

All yours Mags.

18. The Magpie

Heh, there's been a lot of riddles that have turned up in BioWare games (particularly KotOR), it seems. This one hasn't, afaik:

Tower for a cold queen;
    Death for the donor;
    Tickled by a master;
    Wealthy is the owner.

19. dmc

Media:
    Sounds like ivory (my wife is a pianist, so I focused on the third one).

20. The Magpie

[​IMG] Indeed, dmc. Your turn!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.