1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The "Reality" of a Personal Evil

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mathetais, Jun 11, 2001.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

the point i was trying to make in all my shitty little posts was that there is no absolute neutral and absolute truth and absolute untruth hence lies or both sides respectively of good and evil. but telling the truth is not always the good way to go now is it? im sure you all know what i mean. and we are left with different tints of gray, which is essentiallly what the world is, nothing can be absolutely evil for teh same reason nothing can be absolutely good or absolutely neutral. and although truth is a big factor in deciding ones "side" it is not the basis of either. does everyone get what im saying....??

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I get what you're saying, but think of "absolute (or objective) truth" more as "de facts as dey are" rather than "always being truthful".

3. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Certainly the savages are acting immorally. What they believe does not change the truth. I don't accept relative morality or relative truth.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting! So by an accident of birth, you can be doomed to suffer the consequences in the afterlife of an amoral life and have absolutely no idea! Ignorance is NOT bliss!

Or do I have that wrong? You never stated your beliefs about the consequences of ignorantly leading an amoral life...

I wonder what the "savages" believe in that regard and whether your beliefs are "true" or theirs are... You both obviously believe you know what is moral, yet you both can't be right can you?

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited June 19, 2001).]

5. Capstone Gems: 16/31

I agree with Mathetias. The creation itself speaks of God, and we can learn His standards from nature. Interestingly enough, cultures that we label "primitive" or "heathen" often have higher moral standards than we here in the US. Moral decadency is usually a product of civilization.

EDIT: In reference to your last statement there, hence my belief in an absolute truth rather than a relative truth. To believe that each defines his own truth and own morality and gets to heaven his own way is to me absurd, since I believe in a very present God. To say that I have the truth and he doesn't sounds arrogant I know. I would by no means suggest that I possess truth in its fulness, but I do believe I'm on the right path and he is not. Sorry if that is offensive.

-- this is almost turning into a chat session.

[This message has been edited by Capstone (edited June 19, 2001).]

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Wait! Now I'm confused!

First you say the cannibals are certainly immoral, then you say they learned God's standards from nature.

If they believe they are acting morally in their cannibalism, and they have learned God's standards from nature, then are they not behaving within God's standards? And are they not therefore behaving in a moral fashion?

EDIT:
    I'm not offended in the least! I'm simply asking questions and making statements of my own...

7. Capstone Gems: 16/31

Cannibals would certainly be immoral. Don't think there is anything moral about eating people.

I'm saying that it is possible to learn God's standards from nature, not that everyone actually has.

8. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

but morality is completely relative cannbals dont know theyre immoral, but other poeple are more "civilized" and i use that term loosely, thus thinking that those unlike them are some kind of savages. nature can teach you nothing it is a person's nature that that person develops that ultimately decides how they act.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Once again, interesting! Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a Christian do you not partake of the body and blood of Christ (as a matter of faith it is believed to be truly His body and blood) during your religious ceremonies?

If this is not true of all Christians, it is certainly true of Catholics and their offshoots.

So, is eating people moral or isn't it?

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Blackthorne, the catholics say that.

For us it is only a symbol, the wine symbolizes the blood, the bread the body for we believe that Jesus Christ gave his body and his blood for us and bought us free with that. The catholics believe the wine changes into his blood and the bread into his body but that's not right.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

They can look around, see the whole nature and that should let them think... that cannot be created my accident.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    OK, so symbolically eating another person vs. really doing it as the Caltholics do... A minor difference IMO, since if it was an immoral act, you wouldn't symbolize it in your religious ceremonies either would you?

As to your second post in a row (which you shouldn't do ;) ) I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, but I'll guess you were referring to my "accident of birth" statement above. I'm sure it doesn't translate well from English, but what "an accident of birth" essentially means is that they were not given any choice in the matter of where they were born or under what society they were raised.

13. Capstone Gems: 16/31

*sigh*

Alright, the reason for communion!

First off, might help if you think of the meaning of the word "communion" -- a close fellowship, a heart-to-heart relationship. This is what the taking of the wine and bread (His body and blood) symbolizes; our union with Him -- not natural, but spiritual, as a bride and groom. It is not enough to simply worship some distant far off God out there, impersonal and uncaring. We are joined to a living, loving Lord; the celebration of communion is a reminder of His sacrifice for us, as well as a foreshadowing of the end result of that redemption: a wedding supper to come, when He returns to claim us.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh heh heh... Of course I realize it's not quite the same thing. My point was to show that the statement "don't think there is anything moral about eating people" bears more thought, and that the idea should not be so easily dismissed.

Cannibals do not eat people like you and I would eat a cow or a pig; to them it is a spiritual endeavor. By eating this person they believe they are acquiring their attributes, becoming one with that person. If you think about it, it is really not all that different.

The glaring difference of course is that Christ is/was a willing participant. :)

15. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

BTA, sorry for the double post, the evil also sometimes works through me :D

What I tried to say is, everybody can know that the whole world with all it's beauty cannot be evoluted from nothing to this. It must be the job of a great Artist. Even without a bible you see that God exists.

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] BTA - the Romans used to kill us left and right on the charges of Idolatry, Cannibalism & Incest.

Idolatry = we had a god other than Caesar
    Cannibalism = Eucharist
    Incest = old practice of the kiss of fellowship among "brothers & sisters" in Christ.

Part of me is still waiting for the persecution to pick up in the Western world again. However, more people have been martyred for the Christian faith in the 20th Century than in all previous centuries combined!!!! (a little off the subject)

Back to the point: There is a difference between social evil & ontological evil.

Headbanger double posted. The act violated Sorcerer's rules, yet did not violate the "natural law" that I believe God wove into the foundation of the world. Evil?

In the 1st Century, people could take the money their parents had set aside for their retirement, and donate it to the Temple. By doing so, they would elevate their own social status, which would normally lead to financial gain. This was 100% legal and was even supported by a few verses of the Bible (taken out of context and stretched out of proportion). Evil?

You see the difference? When you read the second account something inside says, "Hey, that's not right." That voice is IMHO, part of the image of God that is in each of us. It helps us tap into a thought life / moral life that is beyond empirical evidence. Without this voice, I believe we would have to live in either anarchy or tyranny.

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Mathetais - Yes! I agree with that. But then why must this internal voice have it's origin in God or any other god?

18. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The question here seems to ask why certain individuals are 'chosen' to be saved all because of some chance birth location. If you are born in a developed nation, Christianity will be available to those who would seek Christ. A 'savage' on the other hand has no choice in the matter and is therefore doomed to eternal damnation.

My wife's aunt and uncle were missionaries in Brazil for several years during the 80's, helping the so called 'savages' to have a better life and to translate the word of God for them. I suppose Christian ideas were made available to the tribe and then the ultimate choice would be up to them (which is what Christianity is based on: personal choice.)
    We discuss the various forms of truth and the methods that God may use to make himself known to us, but in reality we are passing on these ideas to our fellow humans and not God. Just look at young children; by default they are chaotic and must be taught how behave and act in a moralistic manner. So it seems that all truth is 'subjective' and is tainted by our own personal ideals. It may be argued that the bible is the 'objective' truth but it is written much like poetry and can be interpreted in so many ways. Look at all the religious denominations or even compare catholics and protestants. They argue and fight about who is right and yet they all still follow the same rule book, how objective is that?

19. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

BTA - Honestly, because I cannot develope a single other theory that holds water!

There are two competing maxim's that have battled their way through church history;

1 - Reasoning leads to believing
    2 - Believing leads to reasoning

School "1" holds that Christianity is logical and that emperical study can reach the conclusion that will ultimately lead to faith.

School "2" holds that Christianity is logical, but that you just can't get the logic until you've made the decision of faith.

Both ideas have merit. Every idea that we hold to be "true" is really a step of faith. You can't empirically prove that Gravity is a constant phenomena. Someday I might drop a quarter and have it fall "up". No matter how many times it falls down, I can not prove that it will never fall up. Hence, there is a need for faith, even at the core of science.

Theology is similar. I have eliminated many other possible explanations for the moral triggers that I experience within myself and within others. The only explanation that holds true is that this is part of the image of God, from the Christian worldview.

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Moeken - That's how I see things as well.

Mathetais - What of the simplest explanation? That the society you are raised in impresses their subjective morality on you, and that is how you come to learn what is moral and what is not.

A simplistic analog is language. You are raised speaking a particular language (or perhaps more than one). You cannot understand someone who speaks a language you don't. When someone speaks in a language you know, but uses incorrect grammar, it "sounds wrong". You may not be able to explain exactly what was wrong and why, but you know it is wrong because that is the way you were taught, and that's not the way everyone else in your society speaks...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.