1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Race is on - How Many Processors are in Your Box?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Chandos the Red, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Intel has 64 bit processors right now. They are the ones that have EM64T.

It isn't the memory controller design, it's the fact that the memory controller is on-chip, and Intel has demonstrated that they are pursuing on-package (not on-chip) north bridge and voltage regulator technology.

2. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Where the memory controller sits is fundamental to the design.

3. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Let's face it. Intel is going more toward multimedia than gaming for their CPUs. Which clearly gives AMD the advantage for those who use mainly use their PCs for games. Both chip makers have a purpose with regards to where they are taking the PC market. AMD is gaming and Intel is multimedia. With the way Microsoft is going I have a good idea that Intel would be the way to go considering most of the newer windwos seem to be multimedia OS vs. a OS that will optimize your games.

Heck the only reason I updated my PC was to do multimedia and video editing, something my old PC couldn't even touch. I went the AMD route because I will be playing games as well and wanted a CPU that could do both effectively without paying an arm and leg for it.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I honestly don't think I would say that. Intel may have been more successful performance-wise with multimedia vs. games, but I don't think that was their intent. They have a web site dedicated to gaming information and their products, and they sponsor gaming competitions; not something they would do I think if they intended to neglect that aspect.

5. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

The main market for CPUs lies in corporate sales, which Intel processors normally supply through their partners. Enthusiast Gamers represent a relatively small number of the Desktop PC market,
    I read somewhere that Intel beleives the future of gaming lies in the console market, although I doubt this would ever be their official line. Perhaps thats part of the reason Intel is behind by AMD when it comes to games.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It's something that's been said many times over the past 20 years (I remember reading this back when the NES was king). I don't think either system will ever displace the other - they appeal to different crowds.

7. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Just to clarify its certainly not my point of view. I much prefer PC to console gaming.

8. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It looks like the current Dual Core CPU are already outdated. Both Intel and AMD will be releasing it new CPU line early second quarter 2006. Both new processors will run cooler and quieter than the current crop they both sell. Not only that but the new batch should allow for higher clock speeds and will provide additional technology/advancement over the current processor. These new CPU will be sold in both single and dual core, however both the higher end CPUs (FX and Pentium Extreme) are dual core. One of the improves for the AMD cpu is the HT speed setting will rise from 200 to 333.

As for the current crop of dual core expect a price drop come spring time.

I personally will be happy with the AMD FX60 that they are planning on releasing in January. The first FX dual core CPU from AMD. The new AMD platform FX chips only difference from the CPU they are releasing in January is going to be the increase in the HT speed setting.

I wonder what will be the true performance gains between the new AMD 940 socket vs. the current AMD 939 sockets.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.