1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Power of Clerics.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hmm, why doesnt anyone post a combo of harm/slay living/finger of death with various buffing spells such as righteous magic, holy power etc.?

Perhaps i should try heal with my uber buffed cleric on some highly annoying vampire.

EDIT: Do healing spells harm undead?

[ February 05, 2006, 11:01: Message edited by: Mercury Star ]

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^No, healing spells actually heal Undead. :p

Try HARM instead.

3. Krypto Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I do believe you get xp for the death of the ones you take control of (I need to test that out again though, just can't remember for sure). Been a long time since I played an evil cleric though. Once everything else is dead, just select all but one and have them attack it and repeat till one is left. Bonk it a couple times with your mace of disruption and presto, everything dead,

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think controlled undead work the same way as summoned creatures work. In other words, you get XPs for the things the controlled undead kill, just like you get XPs from things your summoned creatures kill. However, you don't get XPs for the controlled undead that die will trying to kill something else, just like you don't get XPs form your summoned creature that is destroyed. However, if you use the process Krypto suggests, i.e., having them attack each other until one is left, and then kill the last one, you do get all the XPs.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The biggest trouble with Druids in BG2 is that the animal forms quickly become useless -- a Druid with semi decent equipment is far superior to the wolf or bear forms available. Even the Avenger's extra shapeshifting choices kind of suck, and the Shapeshifter's werewolf isn't stunningly better. In PnP the shapeshifting rocks when it comes to recon, travel or escape, but this doesn't translate into the BG series.

However, the Druid can use 1 more 2-handed weapon than the cleric can (the spear) and his ability to use daggers, darts and scimitars makes him a little more versatile. He makes a fine healer, and at lower levels the Goodberry spell is helpful, particularly if you tend to get banged up quite a bit. At middle levels, the Druid's summoning abilities are most useful, and that's what I use my Druid for -- summoning and healing. If he is forced into combat, having him use Belm is helpful, and if you can keep him at a distance, having him get the extra attack that darts have over slings is also good, as his THAC0 is equal to that of a cleric, and both tricks increase his damage potential.

6. Incarnate Gems: 5/31

At higher levels when druids get lev7 spells they surpass the clerics , lev7 clerical spells are pathetic.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^You must be kidding. Level 7 Cleric Spell Greater Restoration is by no means most useful and powerful cleric spell in entire game. I mean, with ToB it completely and instantly heals all party, a total winner!

8. Incarnate Gems: 5/31

Well maybe I exaggerated but I always end up using rods of reusrection , potions , the regen spell etc. instead of greater restoration ,there are not that many cases when I had to heal my entire party

9. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    What's the best way to go about playing a Ranger/Cleric? Multi-Class from the start, or Dual Class?

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Multi-class from start. That way you get access to all Druid and Cleric spells at each level.

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Not only that, you will also get BOTH fighter and cleric [snip]! Definitely multi is way alot better! :thumb:

[ToB feature removed. -Tal]

[ March 02, 2006, 02:31: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

12. Isshy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I dual to cleric right at the start of SOA (lvl7 iirc). You still get all spells from both classes and can achieve a higher level in the long run as well as level up quicker.

13. Darkchanter Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

I think that the advantage of a cleric over a druid is the "undead stuff". A cleric gets the very useful Animate Dead spell (level 3) and also the anti-undead spells: False Dawn (level 6) and Sunray (level 7). His/her Turn Undead ability is also extreamly useful. There is plenty undead in the game.

The Druid on the other hand gets Insect Plague and Ironskins. The shapechange ability of the druid in BG2 generally sucks, however there are a few mods that address this inadequacy (the Dark Friend kit comes to mind).

14. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

just take the Ranger/cleric multiclass, i have soloed one and i am currently playing one in a party, great fun both times

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.