1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

yes! spain over brazil. Rallymama, i am officially big fan of 76ers.

also, any rumours that any of the big clubs is eyeing the Ghana keeper?

[ June 23, 2006, 05:45: Message edited by: teekc ]

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You don't want to take any advice from me. I am only midtable in our office pool.

3. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Probably take Portugal over the Netherlands, and I'm not convinced Ghana won't give Brazil a run for their money. There's sweet FA chance of England beating the Argies in the final. (And I doubt they'd get past Spain in the Semi's)

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

That pool can easily be a winner, who's to say it's never going to happen ?

5. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yeah it's a great bid Rallymama!

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I like the look of that one, Rally ;) .

7. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think youve just described my perfect world cup. :lol:

8. teekc Gems: 23/31

why saudi goes to world cup torunament every year and got sliced every year?

you know, if they let their players go out to play, they might be real strong.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Argentina and Germany to win comfortably tomorrow morning then?

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pfft, the party ends today for the hosts. I just hope they dont get pissed of and call off the rest of the tournament after they are knocked out. ;)

11. Harbourboy

Hope not. I have three Germans in my fantasy team.

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

There is no way England are getting the Cup unless Ericsson gets his head out of his ass and uses Gerrard as an offensive mid-fielder. Lampard is out of form while Gerrard is currently top scorer for England.
    Now I hear the senile idiot saying that Beckham might be out. Beckham has scored one goal and assisted for another. He is being far more useful than a bunch of others.

Today, Germany will win by scoring atleast 3 goals and Argentine will only better them.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Shrikant - I agree, mostly. We'll have to buck our ideas up big time if we're serious about winning this WC.

I've just realised how alike your name is to an Indian fast bowler, is that intentional? :p

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah I'm with you there Shrikant. Gerrard is currently the most kick-ass English player imo and I'm no fan of Beckham's but the passes he's been feeding to Crouch have been right on the money.

Germany is kicking serious ass right now, game's still on: 2-0

15. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

A few interesting facts of the 1st round:

Trinidad & Tobago are the only team not to have scored a goal.
    Switzerland are the only team not to have conceded a goal.

Paraguay are the only team with a non-negative GD (0) not to qualify for the Round of 16.
    Australia are the only team without a positive GD (0) to qualify for the Round of 16.

Of the 48 matches in the first round, 25 matches saw only one side scoring.
    Of the other 11 drawn matches, 5 matches were goalless draws.

Berlin's Olympiastadion, where the Final is to be held, has been a disappointing venue with only 6 goals scored in 4 matches. All four matches produced results with the losing side unable to score.
    Munich's Allianz Arena has been most prolific with 17 goals scored. Only Australia did not manage atleast 2 goals here.

Only Germany, Portugal, Brazil & Spain won all their matches.
    Costa Rica, Serbia & Montenegro & Togo lost all their matches.

Sweden, Mexico, Australia & France won only one match to qualify.
    Ecuador, Mexico, Ghana, Australia & Ukraine have lost a match and yet qualified. Ghana is the only qualifier to have lost a match to a team other than the group topper.

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Okay, I may sound like a bad loosing whiner, but that referee SUCKED.

Also, Larsson shouldn't have shot a penalty he caused himself.

Otherwise, Swedish attackers REALLY underachieved this cup. It's hideous.

Good luck Germany though, hope you'll get silver this cup. Italy 4 Gold 2006. :p

17. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well, to be honest, yeah, you do sound a bit like a bad loosing whiner. Where did you see the referee disadvantage the Swedish team? The only debatable moment was the penalty for Larsson.

Really, Germany was so utterly dominating the first 20 minutes of the game that it was over before it even started. And after Larsson managed to put the penalty over the box, your team just quit playing at all.

And yes, both yellow cards for Lucic were correctly given. All in all, with Larsson and Ibrahimovic out of shape the Swedish team was really not up to advancing beyond this stage.

18. teekc Gems: 23/31

mathematically, physically, biologically, chemically, philosophically impossible. At best, they face each other in semi final.

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Both the yellows on Lucic were questionable and the penalty was cheap. That doesnt matter though, Germany won the game in the first 15 where the Swedish defence performed in an atrocious way. I dont mind losing to Germany but the way we lost it was bad, we lost without giving our most and peforming our best.

The ref was bad, not scandalous but he was bad not as bad the home advantage South Korea got the last world cup but it was there. Was not the deciding factor though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.