1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Ye Gods, the Croats have decided to punish me for supporting them by playing the most irritating game... AGAIN!

One Slavic nation qualifying, is that too much to ask? Well, there's still Ukraine...

EDIT: GOAL!! Just as I finished typing that, Croatia scored! I notice the Australia goalkeeper has a Croatian name, maybe he decided to help out the fatherland? :D ;)

EDIT2: Oh look, a new gay gem. :pink:

[ June 22, 2006, 22:24: Message edited by: Vukodlak ]

2. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ronaldo has finally scored although he didnt have to move much for it! :lol:

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Both games now at 2-1. Riveting stuff. Uphill battle for Socceroos now.

4. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Its nice to watch tight groups as an observer, its usually England putting me through the nail bitting games leaving qualification to the last minute.

5. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Why are Croats playing volleyball? Another handball in the penalty area! Same guy! No penalty this time, but still....

EDIT: Goal! just as I was typing that, Australia scored... What a game! Ok, my Balkan cousins, is there time for one more?

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

2-2 - Harry Kewell scores. This is the sort of tension the fans want to see!

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Man! That was the oddest match I've seen, due to the ref, most likely. i.e: Ever seen a ref pull red AFTER the match?
    Socceroos are still in, glad to say. :thumb: And deserved imo.

Edit: I never was was that nervous for a game in which Oranje didn't play.

8. Harbourboy

Wow, Australia through to the next round. Who would have thought? They played their hearts out in this game, which was probably their 'final'. They have a few days off now but I don't think they'll have anything left in the tank for more heroics against Italy. Compare to teams like Argentina and Brazil who really have not had to work quite as hard yet.

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Did I get that right? Did Simunic actually get THREE yellow cards in this game?

10. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

And for a third yellow card no less!

What an entertaining match that was...

11. Harbourboy

Hilarious stuff.

12. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Go Australia!!

And Ronaldo getting his second life when he equals legendary Gerd Müllers 14 goals in three WCs.

13. Harbourboy

New Zealanders don't say this very often, but "Go Australia!" too.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Last time I checked, Saint Gus was Dutch :p

15. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

@Harbourboy
    :D

Go the Socceroos! :spin:
    Heard the result this morning everywhere -on the bus, the train, at school...2 all draw with Croatia!
    So many people I know actually got up at 4am jst to watch it.

16. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Slightly of topic but more news about the Serie A scandal .
    That'd be like the premiership without Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Arsenal... could make for an interesting season though. :heh:

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, didn't you know Poll is a special kinda guy ? :D

18. Harbourboy

I have been up at all hours watching all of Australia's games, even the 2am ones.

19. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

spain win, face france or korea, then ghana or brazil.
    spain lose, face sui or korea, then italy.

i sure wish they lose at least 4 goals to saudi. This is going to be hard. If they advance as 1st place tomorrow, they might play korea. Remember last world cup?

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Alright, is everyone ready for a good laugh? I've been following the matches avidly although I know nothing about the personalities and histories and scandals, etc (just like the average American). Well, we're doing a pool at the office anyway, since we're all equal in our ignorance. Here are my picks

First Round winners:
    Germany over Sweden
    Argentina over Mexico
    Italy over Australia
    Ukraine over Switzerland
    England over Ecuador
    Netherlands over Portugal
    Brasil over Ghana
    Spain over South Korea

Quarterfinals:
    Argentina over Germany
    Italy over Ukraine
    England over Netherlands
    Spain over Brasil

Semis:
    Argentina over Italy
    England over Spain

Champion - ENGLAND
    Third - ITALY

It's not too late to send in corrections, or a second pool, so once you pick yourselves off the floor and stop shaking with laughter, input would be welcome! I'll even take the one who provides me with the best advice to lunch, whenever you come to Philly... :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.