1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The official Athens 2004 olympic games thread

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Apeman, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Woah! Well done to Great Britain for upsetting the much vaunted US 4x100m relay team. What a race by the Brits! I can't believe the US mens team fumbled the baton changes almost as badly as the US women did.

2. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Now that sucks for him. I would think that they would grant him a gold medal still, but no. Full story here.

3. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Is he the same guy who interrupted a F1 race one year ago?

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Fantastic performance buy the 4X100m team! Very smooth!

A special mention to Kelly Holmes aswell. The first un-injury blighted season she has had, and she wins 2 golds!

She really deserves it! Chuffed for the lass! :D

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, they can't give him a gold medal because you don't know whether he would have won or not (he did look like he was tiring). They are going to give him a special extra medal though. Damn shame but there's not much you can do about it now.

6. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, it's finally all over for another four years, and while we may not have topped the table or even finished top 3 overall, at least we set a new record of medals in one Olympic Games. And all you NZers, don't worry, the Commonwealth Games are on their way so we can kick your butts again. ;) :p

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

2 gold medals! 4 bronze!
    The world champions, the dream team, the olimpics champions, Argentina basketball team beat them all, we earn the gold medal.
    Congratulations also to the english team that won the 4x100, real nice race.

8. Harbourboy

Well done to Argentina, first gold medals in 52 years! Wow.

Yes, Aldazar, Australia's awesome awesome performance at the Olympics is very ominous for the Commonwealth Games! None of the other countries in the top 5 will be there (USA, China, Russia, Japan) so you guys will win just about everything! Other than the Bahamas, Australia had pretty much the best medals per capita of any country at the Olympics which is a great effort.

Still, there is Rugby 7s at the Commonwealth Games so at least we might be able to scrape a medal in that one.

9. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

@BOC Yes, that's the same guy according to the article. That's too bad... and it happened even with all the security around too. Looks like terrorists have found themselves a new costume - bright red and green clothes. No one will suspect a thing until it's too late. :grin:

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Okay, now that it's all over, I will have to say some things:

1. Congratulations to the men's Italian football team for the bronze, finally a medal for you guys. But what the hell was that for kind of semi-final?

2. Congratulations to the men's Iraqian football team for a great achievement. But I must say, thank god that you didn't win that last game. ;)

3. Congratulations to the UAE for the gold medal in shooting. Guess USA will have to be carefull if they attack you now with snipers like that sheik. ;)

4. Congratulations to the American basketball team for being so sucky with all those good players, not only this year, but the last years over all.

5. Good for the IOK that they decided to give Lima the medal of honor(no, not the American kind :D ) because I think that he deserved it most of all.

11. Harbourboy

Also, well done to both Italy and Argentina for being in the basketball final (poor old USA)! Damned shame that you were the two teams that New Zealand had their closest losses against! Ah, what could have been.....

12. Register Gems: 29/31

Who won that basketball final? Italy, right?

13. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Argentina won the basketball final, IIRC.

14. Harbourboy

Yeah, Argentina, hence Sydax's excitement. Argentina last won a gold medal in 1952 and then they won 2 on the same day (Soccer and Basketball).

15. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Harbourboy - scrape a medal? I don't actually follow many football codes that closely but from what I know, you guys should do more than scrape a medal.

Anyway, the real highlights of the games for me were things like the Iraqi football team doing as well as they did, De Lima's medal of honour and Suzie Bahlog's (sp?) shooting medal - particularly after being told a few years ago that she was too old and talentless and should retire from the sport.

16. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@caleb
    No, Argentina won the final game, 84 to 69.
    I think Argentina HAD to win gold in soccer since they were the only team with all the titulars, not like the other teams who were 2nd or even the 3rd team, since most of the leagues are starting their championships and most of the teams (Lazio, Arsenal, Barcelona, etc.,) didn't want their players to play in their selections.

17. Register Gems: 29/31

Yeah, I know. I say that FIFA and UEFA should allow the national teams to tell the clubs whenever they want to send their players to the national team. I am not patriotic, but the national team should go over all club titles there ever is.

18. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Hell, i didnt know there was Athens Olympic games going on until the last day of it. :roll: :rolling: :1eye:

I guess you could say i'm out of touch with time during the summer holidays :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.