1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The official Athens 2004 olympic games thread

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Apeman, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You'd be surprised how many medals the dutch have Harbourboy. I believe the counter currently stands on: 3 gold, 5 silver and about 10 bronze. We won't top the last previous olympics in which we had 10 gold but for such a small country we are pretty good.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Is anyone else glad that Svetlana Khorkina fell in the bars last night? She's not a diva, just a b!tch, and the only medal she deserved this year is for whining.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I actually felt rather sad for her. Her fall was like if Lance had fallen on the Champs Elysses. Well not completely but a little bit like that.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    It wasn't the way a career like hers should have ended, I'll grant you, but in all the years I've watched her it NEVER seemed that she was enjoying her gymnastics. And all that whining about how she was robbed...geez, woman, how do you know that you hadn't bitched your way into medals that you didn't really deserve over the years? We've all seen that happen before.

You all should know me well enough to know that this isn't any lingering Cold War animosity towards Russians. ;) I was equally happy to see anyone other than Maurice Green win the men's 100.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well another yank won so it doesnt matter. :p

I only saw her fall and then the production cut to the award ceremony for the triple jump so all I know was that Leponec won and Khorkina fell. Missed any whining.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, Canada may not have won much yet, but with medals in trampoline, men's artistic gymnastics and synchronised diving, we're at least showing well in the high-profile, glamour events.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Why isn't there are beerdrinkingcontest in the olympics ? I would definitely be a gold medallist for my country. Or at least a contender. :D

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I didn't realise Japan was doing so well. Third place, ahead of Australia is quite impressive. Full credit.

9. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@Pac man- I don't know about that. If "Beer Drinking" were an olympic event, Canada would probably snap up the gold faster than you can say "Trampoline." I mean, you have seen "Strange Brew," haven't you?

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Yeah, i have, but surely you don't expect me to take that seriously ?

Besides, Canadian beer still isn't "real", is it ? :D

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pac Man, we should contact our crown prince Willem Alexander aka WimLex, Prince Pils, King Willem Beer about that. From what I've heard, he's got contacts with IOC. :D

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Can anyone (other than Paraguayan nationals) here honestly say that they're NOT rooting for the Iraqi soccer team today?

And I must say that I was really enjoying the, uh, "scenery" at the men's springboard diving preliminaries. Whew, but I need to borrow one of those towels...

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Funny you mention that Rallymamma, when will the girls appear on the diving board ;)

Anyone see the final of gymnastics yesterday where the audiance kept the jury busy for about a half an hour. I guess they weren't satisfied with the score of this one gymnastic. I agreed and that wasn't the first major fault, A korean guy was faulted the day before because of a major jury fault.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can honestly say that I am not rooting for the Iraqi soccer team today. Because NZ is not in the soccer they don't show much of it on TV here. We're too busy watching the cycling, kayaking, hockey, and basketball at the moment.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Canada sure has an odd assortment of medals - one each in Sprint Cycling, Floor Exercise, Wrestling, Rowing, Trampoline, Synchronized Diving, and Springboard Diving. It seems that almost everytime Canada wins a medal the first thing that the guy says is that it is our first medal ever in that sport.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Whenever New Zealand wins a medal it's ALWAYS our first in that sport. We still only have 2 so far this year.

Trampolining? How long has that been an Olympic sport? Those trampolines look really bouncy. There's no way I can get that high on the rusty springed thing we have down the back of the garden.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What I liked about the sprint cycling gold medal was not so much that a Canadian won it, but that she is 38 years old!

Go, old people!! :D

18. Harbourboy

I can't believe Merlene Otty was still at these games. She was competing at the Olympics before most SPers were even born!

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

There aren't any sexy female athletes in this Olympics. :toofar:

20. Harbourboy

Oh boy, no wonder we're not winning many medals....we haven't even been trying to:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.