1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The New Seven Wonders of the World

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Shaman, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    You know, that brings up a pretty good point. There was no reason to limit this list to seven, just because there were 7 wonders of the ancient world. I mean, in the original list, they probably didn't limit themselves to 7 - it was more likely that they just found 7 to be worthy. If there was an eighth great wonder, they would not have been required to drop one of the initial seven off the list.

2. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The old seven were listed by some dudes that written the first "Let's go Greece" or such. The original writings were lost. The information was inferred through other surviving records. You can see that they were all Greek or Greek at the time.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Cheyenne Mountain really ought to be one.

If only because the power it represents is so damn impressive.

4. SimDing0 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Okay, the original wonders were pretty oldskool, but it intrigues me that when we decide to take a renewed look at the crowning achievements of human history, we don't look at things like the internet or putting a man on the moon, but rather some random statue somebody built for basically no reason. Am I the only one who finds really big carvings of jesus rather less impressive than the fact that I can talk you you lot?

5. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    Good point, SimDing0.

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Play Civilizations One through Four, there are all your wonders. There don't have to be seven, the human race has accomplished more than only seven fantastic feats of design and construction.

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

I was waiting for someone to cite 'The Gospel according to Meier' ;)

But let's take Civ II, for example (probably the most ubiquitous game of the series) - that had a total of twenty eight Wonders, Seven for each Age.

I liked that Sid et al. DID include some intangible Wonders, like "Cure for Cancer", "Women's Suffrage" and "Darwin's Voyage". And if you think about it - some of the more 'physical' Wonders still are symbols of less tangible ideas and concepts that had a big influence on society - "Adam Smith's Trading Company" representing economics, for instance.

ANYWAYS, I still refuse to limit MY list to seven; the ancients probably just ended up with that number by chance, but I've seen plenty more things since that are worthy of mention...

8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm quite content with:

Pymamids of Egypt*
    Lighthouse at Alexandria
    Gardens of Babylon
    Colossus of Rhodes
    Temple of Artemis
    Statue of Zeus
    Mausoleum at Maussollos

However, since only one of these is still standing it is quite common to see reasonable substitutes:

The Great Wall*
    The Acropolis
    The Colosseum*
    Taj Mahal*
    Teotihuacan

* - on new list.

I don't think Machu Piccu or Christ the Redeemer belongs on this list. Teotihuacan is more impressive than Chichen Itza. Petra is absolutely amazing -- I hope to see it someday (I agree with the inclusion on the new list).

Christ the Redeemer should be compared to other modern marvels (all built in the same timeframe), such as:

The Empire State Building
    The Golden Gate Bridge
    Hoover Dam
    Panama Canal

Clearly, against these four, there is nothing noteworthy about the building of Christ the Redeemer.

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All patrotic bias aside, is there any reason why Mt. Rushmore seems to be universally excluded from consideration here? I find it quite remarkable, really.

10. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's truly impressive (along with the yet to be completed Crazy Horse), I was thinking of adding it to my list of modern marvels, but I believe Petra covers that base quite remarkably (and was done 500 years earlier).

I do think Mt Rushmore is more of an engineering marvel than Christ the Redeemer.

Going along the lines of je and Abom, I have always seen three lists:

Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
    Seven Wonders of the Modern World
    Seven Natural Wonders of the World

Seems to make more sense to have multiple lists....

11. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Totally agreed. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.