1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Myth (or truth) of Liberal Media Bias

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You know, I looked more closely at the moveon.org site. It has this in the first paragraph:

What I noticed that was interesting is Bush gets to air an ad but not someone criticizing him. That isn't fair and it is completely against what long term media reporter Kurtz says above when he says the networks have a long-standing non-advocacy policy. Right? Sorta'.

I checked the footnotes for that cite. It takes you here:

http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=39561

The Bush Whitehouse ad is an anti-drug ad. It urges children and parents to "intervene to get help for children or friends who are doing drugs." Well, that is an advocacy ad. From the context though, it sure seemed more... of a double standard. The Bush Whitehouse ad has nothing to do with politics. None of the ads do. Just thought that was interesting and, strangely appropriate given the topic.

About the papers, I don't think the Washington Times or the New York Post have nearly the circulation of the othe papers. I could be wrong but it just seems to me the New York Post is considered a bit of a joke while the New York Times is considered perhaps the most important paper in the US (though it has taken its lumps lately.) The Washington Post is considered one of the most important papers in the US while the Washington Times is largely considered a paper run by a cult. There are differences - circulation and prestige.

Another consideration - last night on CNN I saw a guy talking about how now a majority of younger people (twenty-somethings and below) now get their news AND opinions from various 'late night' sources such as Leno, Letterman, and Jon Stewart's Daily Show. They say Dean's barbaric yawp that is getting him skewed on these shows is REALLY hurting him. So, what is the political persuasion of, for example, Jon Stewart or Leno?

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Another good point, but it is an ad taken out by the White House in which they play up the "family values" theme that is prevalent in their bedrock support. So, it can be seen in a two-fold light: against drug use, which is a good thing, but at the same time it gets a message to their homebase support. It is clever and has some nice side-effects, while at the same time it is still an ad for the White House, during an election year. But I may be a bit cynical here. :shake:

Again, good comments about the more conservative press - being run by Moonies and other loonies and not having the prestige of the more mainstream press such as the Washington Post and the New York Times, which is considered the paper of "chronicle." At least that is how the New York Times was described during my brief time as a journalism major by more than one prof at the university.

And your point is well taken that they would not have the impact that some of the more established papers would have. But I thought that they deserved mention, since some others certainly have an alternative outlet through these papers for a more biased conservative message.

[ January 24, 2004, 04:25: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

3. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I went looking and saw this:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/columnists/neuharth/neu068.htm

The article is by the founder of USA Today Al Neuharth. I don't know his political beliefs. As USA Today doesn't endosrse, the article seemed a little "preachy" to me. He does, in fairness to him, include this as well:

Here is the relevance of the above to me. The New York Times hasn't endorsed a Republican in 40 years for President (we'll see who they endorse this year.) It is, to me, the nations most prestigious newspaper. The Washington Post, probably one of the top...3 or 4 in my opinion (WSJ, LA Times)has never endorsed a Republican for Pres. I'd be interested in seeing who they've endorsed for Senate and the House races.

I don't think this means these papers have a 'liberal' bias. As I said, I don't even really believe that is a particularly meaningful term. But, what it does do, is create a perception. Above, some have argued that the 'liberal' media concept is entirely a product of 'conservative' propaganda. Certainly I believe that 'conservatives' have played the idea up for their own benefit.

However, 'conservatives' couldn't sell that story without endorsement records like those of the NYT and WaPo. When Andy Rooney and Walter Cronkite then come out and say the media is 'liberal' and they need to be careful on how they report, they feed the fire. If 'conservatives' are pulling the trigger on a conspriacy theory the media seems to be loading the amunition.

And to clarify, I'm not saying the media IS 'liberal', I'm saying that it has taken more than just a conspiracy for it to be viewed as such by a majority of Americans.

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Again we are in agreement, since not every Republican is a conservative, and every democrat is a liberal. Endorsements are only one measure or indicator of a bias on the part of the two papers that you cite most. And again I have to point to my own paper, which endorses more than its own fair share of Republicans. It could be the "blue state/red state" phenomenon that most everyone is hyping these days, since both New York and Washington tend to be red, while states such as Georgia and Texas, being blue states tend to reflect their readership. One can argue that the WP and NYT are national papers, and the Houston Chronicle and the Atlanta Consitution are not, but don't downplay the importance of their homeareas since they exist in their respective home enivronments.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Some of the interesting things I see in the LA Times are descriptions in news stories (not editorials). Liberal/Democrat/left-wing people and or organizations are not identified as such - Lawrence Tribe is the noted Harvard professor, without mentioning that he is liberal. Robert Bork or Clarence Thomas are, however, clearly labeled conservative.

On the other hand, how many LA Times articles mentioned that Gary Condit was a Democrat? Not many at all and even the ones that did labeled him as a "rogue" Democrat, a conservative Democrat, etc. I'm not even sure it's a conscious effort.

I happen to like listening to a guy named Larry Elder. He's a libertarian who just joined the Republican party. He makes some good points and I took those examples from his book "Showdown" after verifying their general accuracy and the way that the LA Times continues to be written today (I get it every day and I am now very conscious of the disparity -- I'll pull tomorrow's front page when I get it and post a couple of quotes for you guys).

There's also the fact of the LA Times' unquestioning support of both affirmative action and higher minimum wages, despite the overwhelming majority of economists who say both harm the very groups they are designed to help. You don't have to believe the economists, but the paper acts like they don't exist. That's kind of odd to me.

BTW, the New York Post is a rag and is aimed at those people who find the USA Today's pie charts to be a little too tough to figure out. Plus, its crossword puzzle is just lame. It's sports section, however, kicks the NYT's sports section's @$$ though and the NYT doesn't carry the comics. :D

6. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@Laches

I am not sure I agree with the gist of your last post. Remember who pretty much own the majority of media outlets. IF you pretty much control the way information is disseminated and you dedicate your resources to spinning a certain message, it's not like you will need the help of liberals to keep the propaganda going.

One obvious thing the conservatives have done is to shift everything over one notch to the left on the liberal - conservative scale. This results in anything moderate being labeled as "left leaning", left leaning becomes "far left" and all otehr liberal sentiments beome "loony extremist left agendas".
    At the same time extremist right views become "conservative" and right leaning views become "moderate".

It is quite insidious and this from a skeptic who does not go in for the conspiracy theory crap.

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The general idea is that no one *cares* that little Johnny made it to school, safely.

However, they do care that little Johnny is really an undercover CIA operative, and has been trailing a KGB mole for the past 6 months, and had finally gotten the cypher codes for his messages and the name of his courier. And when little Johnny shot out the front left tire of the enemy operatives that were trailing the bus, and their car slid sideways causing the rocket to barely miss the school bus and blow up the large natural gas storage tanks next to the water treatment plant, he was just doing his job as he was trained to do and probably saved countless lives.

Media sensationalism totally ROCKS!

Also, alarmists make massive amounts of cash-money. In both grants, and kickbacks. And it doesn't matter if it's the States, Britian, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Norway, or Russia. The loudest alarmists make the most cash-money per kilogram mass.

The only places it doesn't pay to be an alarmist is North Korea, Iran, and Columbia. In Pakistan, as long as your an anti-Indian alarmist, you're good to go.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.