1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The most valuable NPC to all Parties?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Zephyr Angel, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] In this game, I have seen many great and utterly useless NPCs, some died in the course of adventuring while others survived to see the next day. Although, in the end, my non-clerical party had only four members left.

I can safely say that these four; Minsc,Sarevok,Keldorn and Edwin, are the most versatile characters. Surviving the harshness of Irenicus's Hell and to the Vile heart of Melissan.

But enough of my sad company, what about yours?

Have there been a time when you realise that you now beheld the most formidable group of NPCs in the saga?

Then share your tales of adventure!
    As surely I will soon tell mine, that is if the response is good, of a party worthy of the throne of Bhaal!

Go ahead, shoot the feathers, Volo!

2. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    My answer would be Haer dalis.
    His very presence means the square of the sum of all your melee-abilities. Even twice or thrice that, if you really want to.
    He also fills up where Jan fails, and from the party I've been doing atm the two make a completely awesome combo. (It almost shames my NPC Jester, but then again there's nothing like forcing your enemies to make a save six times per round or end up dead.) He's the epitome of ultimate versatility.
    But that's from a powergamer's perspective.
    RP-wise, that would depend on your alignment, although I'd personally consider Imoen as indispensable.
    She's you sister, and she's all you have left, and I'll be damned if I let anything happen to her!
    Haer and Viccy come a close second.

As for the tale of my adventures, I would happy enough to share if it weren't too off topic. Maybe later.

[ January 24, 2004, 19:22: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

As far as versatility is concerned, I think that the party as a unit determines the effectiveness.
    I cannot think of particularly versatile characters.
    Anyway, Sarevok is very powerful in ToB. And relatively versatile.

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Jaheira.

She won't fight any party members.

She can be your Tank.

She can be your Healer.

And she stops wizards in their tracks.

5. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think Imoen has to get a vote here. Regardless of the fact she's your sister (tho I tend to always use her for this reason too), she is capable of doing several things for your party. Her Mage skills are great, and she CAN be the only mage you use. She has good enough theiving skills to handle any theiving you need done (maybe with the help of an occasional Potion or Knock spell). And she even has decent archery skills with a short bow. That's three distinctly different things she can do for your party, which makes her very versatiles, IMHO.
    People like Saravok, Minsc, etc. are great tanks/melee experts, but I wouldn't say their particularly good at anything else. Other versatile characters would include Jaheira (as stated above), Jan, and the ever annoying Anomen and Aerie. Each of these NPCs can handle multiple tasks for your party.
    Anyways, just my thoughts.

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Aaah! The women ;)

Jaheira is so versatile, she has been with me in each of my campains.
    Imoen, sister and best 'good' mage unlike some other whiny headache I know.

And
    Minsc, the one tank you actually have to plan about before you start the adventure.

Other notable greats not so versatile: Keldron, Anomen, Jan & Viccy.

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'd say Imoen as well. Jan is usless as a theif. He can't backstab and his lockpick/trap dectect abilities are way down.

Imoen can become a very powerful mage by the time you fight Mellisan, with Imoen and Aerie backing Keldorn Sarevok, Minsc an my barbarian tanks Mellisan was like fighting a force of goblins.

Imoen can also be the only theif you need. I've never had to help her with potions or the Knock spell, but I have used the Ring of Lockpick asnd such.

8. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Imoen. She's essential to the story, fills the thief department quite nice, and is a (nearly) pure mage at that.

9. Telcontar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Jaheira & Imoen, as stated above, You can use them in many ways...
    My Ranger (character that i play with), is good too, since it has some powers fighters dosnt poses, but this two...
    Viconia is also very useful, despite the fact that shes only a pure cleric....

10. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31

Man, you guys forgot Edwin? Red wizard exta-ordinaire?

He is a lifeline for any situation. When the going gets tough, I always rely on that man.

What? Golems on a rampage?, well, no problem. Here's a Red Wizard of Thay special, two Cacofiends, in your sorry face!

Okay he is kinda weak but that is the mage's only problem. Another is his evil alignment. But play it wisely, he could stop almost any kind of living (and Undead) freak out there. Realy, he was the one that dealt the final blow on Demogorgon, if only with a staff, but it was the killing blow nonetheless!

The ones that you have to praise for such things are the wizrds, the true powerhouses of the Realms. Forget the fighters, yes they are strong, hardy and versatile, but can they withstand a blast from a banshee's wail, I guess not.

In my party, Valygar got himself and Anomen killed being too helpless when facing Kangaxx. But again, it was the Red one that came to the rescue with a timely respite...

So, to me, it would be Edwin, though Edwina is alright by me!, who would be a perfect addition to the party!

[ January 25, 2004, 11:20: Message edited by: Zephyr Angel ]

11. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    In that respect, anyone who can cast mage spells is.

12. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31

Come on!

Do you consider Jan good?
    The guys a useless gnome!
    Its either Edwin or Imoen.
    I think Nalia just ain't cut out for this.

13. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Jan's very good, actually, though for purposes other than spellchucker.
    I'm beginning to appreciate him after using him properly.
    Nalia is as good a mage as Imoen, and starts off with better spells than both her and Edwin.
    It's because of this that she's one of my favorite NPC's earlier on. (and the best one, at that)

Edwin would also be on top of my list for valuable though, not only for his prowess but because I find his manner amusing.

14. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well Imoen is great mage, a good enough thief to pick anylock and disarm any trap with only occasional help but one thing most people probably don't know is that with her thief class and a * in Belm and two weapon style with angruvydle (whatever it's spelled as) she can make a very good fighter with Tensors, so what I'm saying is Don't underestimate a properly prepared Imoen's melee ability.

And the second most useful would be a coin toss between Jahiera and Anomen, one of these characters and Imoen together would be able to handle any situation probably.

15. Xindell Gems: 6/31

@Zephyr: Remember, this thread isn't about which NPC is 'best.' If it were, I'd say Edwin deserves a lot more consideration than he does in this thread. Edwin is a GREAT mage, specially with his cheeseball necklace that gives him so damn many extra spells. But, when it comes to 'versatility' (ie. multiple uses), he just doesn't stack up. Hell of a mage. NOTHING else. That's why I say Imoen. She can do so many different things. Mage, Theif, Archer, and as stated above, cast a Tensors and she can even be a secondary tank. She is, by far and away, the most VERSATILE NPC in the game. Course, this is just my opinion. :)

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Have to say Sarevok. He was the only one standing when we were up against it the first time I fought Demogorgon and his summons. With all of 10 health left, he single handedly won the battle for me.

17. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Tassadar: I agree. Sarevok can be very versatile, IF you dual class him, otherwise he is only a fighter and it's all he does, read the last couple of posts about Imoen, and re-read the first post

18. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31

@Xindell: I understand what you say, but apart from paladins and the uber-sword, Carsomyr, which only Keldorn can use, I think it is a safe bet that the mages are the more powerful and adaptable.

From the way this thread is going, I have a picture in my mind, MAGEs rock Baldur's gate, Amn and the lands between and below them.

It would either be Imoen, or sarevok, or Jan.
    Again, the Illusionist kit is not a very good kit I would say, it restricts the spells of Mass Destruction.

To Xindell: Okay, I have to admit , Imoen is good.
    To Scythesong Immortal: Again, Jan is never a good mage. and his thieving skills are mostly improved by 'gadgets' that are contraband in Amn!

19. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I do not think there are especially useless or especially versatile characters; there are both better ones and those who aren't so popular.
    I have tried all characters including Jan Jansen, and he was okay. In a word, extremely useless characters do not exist.
    Every NPC who can join your party can be good, if we explore all the tricks we can make with him/her.

20. Xindell Gems: 6/31

@Baronius: I'll agree with you that every NPC is useful in his or her own way. Some are powerful at melee combat (Saravok, Minsc, Keldorn), others throw great spells (Edwin, Imoen). But I will disagree with you when you say there aren't 'especially versatile characters'. There most certainly are characters who are substantially more versatile than others. Unless you Dual-Class him, Saravok is good for one thing, and one thing alone. Bashing the hell out of enemies up close. That's all he does. Now, he does it's ridiculously well, but it's ALL he does. Others that have been mentioned above can fill more roles, and are therefor more versatile. Jaheira can be a tank, just like Saravok (ceertainly not as WELL as him tho), but she can also be a healer. And some of her higher level Druid spells can be pretty devastating to enemies. So she's got multiple uses. That's just one example of a more versatile character.

@Zephyr: Mages do generally rule BG. But, in all actuality, the higher you get into TOB, fighters really do come back into their own. A well built fighter will have the right equipment to make himself mostly immune to magic, and capable of delivering so damn many attacks in a round as to overwhelm many mages. This is not to say fighters are suddenly dominant, but I think they come back to more even fotting in the later stages of the saga. I've ripped through TOB ith Imoen and Jaherira being the only two who can cast spells of any kind (OK, Mincs gets a couple), and it was a breeze. The tanks did all the work!

Anyways, as usual, just my opinion.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.