1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The latest threat to international peace

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Slappy, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

2. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Sorry but i didn't understand quite well the question can you help me; :confused:

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Lol! That one was funny and if I dare say scarily like the present situation in the world. I would not be that surprised if that comic actually come to pass...

4. Viking Gems: 19/31

Indeed very funny, but we all know this will not happen, since the moon is made from green cheese and we would all have a massive fondue instead.

5. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Ok it is funny but i sincerely hope we don't see it in real life. And i'm afraid that as far as it concerns this person it's not such a remote possibility as it should be
    :(

6. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] It is satire people! What worries me is the fact that some people might actually think that it could even be remotely possible.

I know that many of you think that Bush 43 has the IQ of a rabid dog, but this is ludicrous. Only the "chicken littles" of the world could actually take it seriously and that is why it is funny!

(Is that a chorus of the "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!" I hear in the background?) ;)

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

That's okay Darkwolf ... when liberals can't think of anything better to do, they call conservatives stupid.

Slappy ... I love ya. Our politics are polar opposites, but I still love ya! ;)

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And vice versa.

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

When did I call a liberal stupid? In fact, I told Slappy that I love him, and honestly think that he is one of the smartest folks I know. But this is :yot:

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wasn't refering to you specifically Mathetais, I meant in general. It was an ammendment to your comment to Darkwolf, nothing more.

No biggy. :thumb:

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I'm grouchy today ... sorry to be so sensitive :wail:

12. Death Rabbit

Media:
    No problem - we live in cranky times. :D Smile dammit!

Anyway, I always enjoy satire like that, even if I totally disagree with the point the artist or writer is trying to make. Satire is healthy - it helps keep the world from taking itself too seriously.

13. Slappy Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] :yot:

Hey Mat, the feeling's mutual. It's strange though as you're dead right about our differences in politics (and religion). I guess I can accept your views as you're a decent bloke, you do mean well (that is not intended to be patronising) and, most importantly, you think through the issues rather than just jumping under the band-wagon.

Anyway, I hoped the sketch would be funny to most people pro or anti the current situation. It certainly cheered me up, which takes some doing in the current climate.

14. Greenlion420 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] reminds me of the Jimmy Buffett song "everlasting moon" but then i don't suppose most of you know who he is.

15. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Actually, I am listening to a disk that has all the songs from Buffett's box set in MP3 right now. As I type First Look fades out...and Tampico Trauma starts!

(Yes I own the originals, you wouldn't think I would get them from the 'net would you?)

Parrot Heads forever! :cool:

Sorry I know

:yot:

16. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

17. Sarin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Marvellous ;)

18. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Before I even saw the punchline I knew what it was to the most recent one. (Is "punchline" the right term for satire?) Lots of Americans dislike France right now, just because of their views on the war. The whole thing seems rather silly to me, America was gonna attack regardless of what anybody else said.

19. Death Rabbit

Media:
    That's not the only reason. There's more to it than just France's war stance, though that was definately the tipping point.

Many Americans feel betrayed by France. They see a history of the US not hesitating to bail the French out of various conflicts, some they got themselves into. Meanwhile their government not only opposes our efforts, but threatens to derail them altogether, when they could have just as easily abstained. They see this as France going out of its way to see that we fail and/or lose face. There's also France's stake in Iraq's oil that seems to go unmentioned by France in it's arguements against the war. It makes them look like hypocrits, in a way. Add to that the resentment of our general impression that French citizens think we're all unsophisticated idiots, and a popular American notion that the French people are snotty, cheap, arrogant baguette-eating frogs.

It's all these factors (plus a few I'm sure I've missed) that all adds up to the anti-French sentiment. We're not doing any German bashing, and they were also against the war. So to say we're pissed at the French just because of this one disagreement doesn't really hold up.

20. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Operation Iraqi Liberation (OIL)

Sorry, couldn't resist

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.