1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Latest--and Last --Harry Potter...

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Cernak, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Gasp. How dare you reveal such a spoiler. The story is ruined for me now.

So the rumour that Harry Potter is really a girl in disguise is unfounded then?

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] This hasn't happened in a really long time! Today I sat down at lunch to read a chapter of the new Potter book. I was roughly on page 450. I read the rest straight through!!

I really liked it! I liked the ending, there was even a point where I got a little misty-eyed. Yes, I'm embarrassed to say it!

Excellent book, excellent series! I'm looking forward to the last two movies!!

3. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

If there is any "brilliance" to Rowling's writing, it's that she's able to cross the generation gap without missing a beat. That and the fact that her writing builds upon itself with each book, so that the reader develops the sense that they are developing and learning at the same rate as the actual characters.

In technical terms, the Harry Potter series is below-average at best. But goddamn it, does it have some HEART! :lol:

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I don't think she wrote the ending she wanted to... don't know why, but I can't shake that feeling.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    After doing everything I could to avoid finding out any spoilers about the last book, I finally had my vacation this week and was able to plow through the book in four days. I totally enjoyed it. There were a few issues that I didn't like and didn't even understand. If someone can pm me and explain what happened with Neville at the end I would appreciate it.

I like Sir Bel also found myself misting up more than a couple of times.

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    ******** SPOILER *************
    Neville becomes the Herbology professor at Hogwarts. My only question about him, is: Where did he get Godric Gryffindor's sword? Didn't the goblin have it last?!?!?

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Answer: For some unexplained reason a Gryffindor can pull the sword out of the Sorting hat regardless of where the sword might have been before that. The precedence for this is in Chamber of Secrets when Harry does the same thing. I imagine that does leave one rather ticked off goblin who will be complaining about the evil wizards stealing the sword.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    JSBB is right. See also the transcript of the online chat session that Rowling held after the release of the last book. :)

9. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    **SPOILER**

Can I just say, of all the people to kick Bellatrix's ass, Mrs. Weasley was the last and possibly funniest person anyone could have possibly suggested. Bloody classic, I was laughing my head off so hard I coud hardly keep reading...

10. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The scene when Mrs. Weasley goes bezerk gave me chills. I figure they are going to have to do a better job in the next movie with her character to have that type of raw emotion in the final movie.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Sorry for the bump, but I've only just read it from the library.

Deathly Hallows, while good imo, comes off rushed. How much time was there to write and get the book published? A few of the plot points are wonky and don't quite fit even though it looks like they do.

I did not like the ending. It is utter claptrap, imo.

I cried over those who died, some who I felt didn't need to die, and during the Last Showdown with Bellatrix.

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Rowling reveals that Dumbledore was gay! That should give her some publicity, and even less fans than she already has among right-wing Christians.

I'm not sure how important it is for the plot, though. :skeptic: Looks more like a publicity stunt to me.

13. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, Montresor. Since that had nothing to do with plot, and was never mentiond, it's a great way to get some more publicity without messing up the continuity - and some serious bashing for his close relationship with Harry.

To me, it sounds like she could have very well just pulled it out from nowhere.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Just what the world needs, authors feeding the slash kiddies. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that this came from Rowling's PR dept, but she should know better than to cave in to the pressure to cater to the small segment of the overly noticeable Internet fandom mostly consisting of messed up teens that unfortunately get an outlet for their obscene scribbles on the Internet.

If this becomes a trend among authors - ugh, I'd rather not think about it. The proper message from an author like Rowling to the slash writers would be "seek help, now!", not "here, have fun with Dumbledore with my blessing!".

Seriously, I'm flabbergasted.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I was hoping that this was a hoax, but a Google search suggests otherwise.

I am a full supporter of gay rights, but I think that this is really unnecessary. There was absolutely nothing throughout the entire series to suggest that Dumbledore was gay. And to come out with this now, particularly given the whole scandal surrounding priests and boys, is just stupid.

I actually thought the ending had left the door open for sequels, but now, I'm not so sure.

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What's the problem? Chill yourselves out, you're coming across as homophobes. I hate that stuff. Anyone who doesn't like homosexuals or homosexuality in general want to get out a bit more and pull their heads out.

I hate it when people speak out against homosexuality! There's nothing wrong with it. Hey, anything that keeps the population boom down! I've noticed that America seems to be quite a homophobic country still. It's backwards and shows a level of ignorance and unevolved society.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Barmy, I guess you missed our points which have nothing to do with homosexuality in general, let alone homophobia. Blanket accusations of homophobia are something that irks me more than a little. Popular trend notwithstanding, it's against our forum rules the same as any other crude generalization.

So I think that you're the one who needs to chill out - no one is "speaking out against homosexuality". And please, stop with all the other sweeping generalizations and personal judgements, which show a level of ignorance that goes way beyond what you're accusing us of. :rolleyes:

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    Rowling probably made an off the cuff comment which the papers got a hold of. The only reason people are making a big deal out of it is because the word 'gay' is in there. Do you deny that?

If she said 'I always thought of Dumbledore as a straight guy!' nothing would have been made of it. Why should you make anything of it because of the fact she thought the character might be gay? Why indeed. Just because there's a lot of homophobes out there.

Having seen Harry Potter and reward the books, I thought old Albus liked the bum a long while ago to be honest. He's a bit camp the guy is, isn't he! I think it's funny and in no way should be made more than it is.

It's not against the forum to shout and groan about a 'gay' comment, but it's against the forum rules to stand up to it :lol: . Nice one mate, lovin' it.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Judging by that news report, it wasn't like that. Personally, I'm "making a big deal out of it" because I agree with Splunge (nothing throughout the entire series to suggest that Dumbledore was gay), and the fact that I see it as a cheap PR stunt to cater to the slash fandom (which, admittedly, I abhor).

Hopefully this makes it clear enough for you, though given your last comments, I doubt it.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    What is 'slash fandom'?

I guess we'll a agree to disagree, but the way I see it is that Rowling made a comment not even intending to provoke argument and reactuions like this (and it didn't over here). This 'story' made the tiniest, smalling, most minuscule 2cm x 2cm spot in the paper I buy (if this was PR stunt, it was a bit of a piss poor one). Because, believe it or not, gayness in this country is not even given a 2nd thought. We just don't give a crap.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.