1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Last Movie You Watched #2

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by dmc, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I like Roger Moore's Bond movies a lot, not sure why they get a lot of flak (not from here, but from general Bond fans).

My favorite Bond movies are (in no order):
    Live and Let Die
    You Only Live Twice
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    and the song from A View To A Kill :D

2. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Crying Freeman seems to be the only Mark Dacascos film that I wouldn't mind watching again.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Nior: I saw The Isle in a theatre when it was released. The guy taking a crap on the camera in the opening shot didn't impress me and I didn't find anything thrilling about those hooks either. It was a movie going experience I'll give it that. ;)

@Saber: good list. I like Moore's Bond. He couldn't match the sense of menace that Connery was able to convey but Moore's Bond was likable and charming. :)

I've just watched the Man with the Golden Gun and The Spy Who Loved Me. The soundtrack tend to reflect the times and it can get in the way at some points but the theme to the Spy Who Loved Me definitely captures the essence of Moore's Bond.

Both movies are a bit over the top (especially the Man with the Golden Gun) but it's not bad because as it's all in good fun and they're not meant to be taken seriously anyway.

I had completely forgotten about that line: "you've never seen a major take a shower before?" That one really made me laugh.

I shudder thinking about the next Bond on my list though. :D

4. nior Gems: 24/31

@Caradhras, wow, you must have watched too many gore-flicks not to be affected by those hooks scenes. I was amazed that the scenes with the fish were actually real, no tricks, what was done to the fish were real.

5. Saber

Just watched Juno in class... Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, and the father (can't remember his name) saved it from it's own pretentiousness. A good flick, but damn, nobody actually talks like Juno in real life! At least, no one as down to earth as her - hipsters are the only people who I could comprehend being that "clever."

6. nior Gems: 24/31

^ J. Jonah Jameson er, I mean J.K. Simmons.

7. Caradhras

Media:
    The bit with the fish was real and disgusting (because it was alive, I've gutted enough fish in my time not to be too squeamish about that). I guess they couldn't boast that no animals were harmed in that movie... By the way In general I don't like gore movies or graphic scenes and I did find the hook scene rather disturbing but since the film was meant to shock the audience at that point I pretty much expected anything to happen on screen so I wasn't that surprised. Although to be honest I may have cringed a bit. ;)

Anyway I took a break from Bond movies and watched Zardoz which is a fantastic movie and prompted me to write a new blog entry. I can say I haven't seen many movies like this one.

I've just watched Inglorious Basterds. That's a very interesting piece and I liked the fact that they used different languages with subtitles (it also gave me an opportunity to brush up my rusty German). It's a rather bold move for a film that is targeted at a large audience.
    The scene in which Pitt pretends to speak Italian is just hilarious. :lol:
    IMO it's Tarantino's best film since Jackie Brown (which is still my favourite).

8. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Ah.. Zardoz!

Yeah that was a great sci-fi movie. I haven't seen that in a long time, but now I hope I will soon.

Caradhras likes this.
  9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Drag me to hell. Ok movie. Kind of fun at times too, in a gross way.

10. nior Gems: 24/31

Just came back from watching The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnasus. Terry Gilliam's imagination world felt flat... must be the effects of Avatar. The story is much better than Avatar though, I mean it's weird but that's what Gilliam was known for. The acting was quite good, I have to say I loved that Gilliam had Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrel played 1 character. Although, I felt Colin Farrel was... Colin Farrel.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    They should make a remake of Being John Malkovich with Colin Farrell in the lead, what about "Being Colin Farrell" as a title? :D

12. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Should they keep the half floor office in the remake? :p

13. Ironhawk Skylord

Just watched The Illusionist again.

Really good. :)

14. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I was just about to post saying I watched this on Saturday. It is indeed a great film, and you're right in the spoiler :D

15. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Watched Alexander on TV - I really didn't enjoy it at all. Watched the Boat That Rocked afterwards and thoroughly enjoyed it :D

16. Ironhawk Skylord

Saw Blade Runner: Final Cut today.

Man, I love that movie.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die."

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Been a good week of movies for me.

Dark Knight- Beautiful movie, great pacing, and a great score make it a good one.

Avatar- Enjoyed the story for what it was, visuals were impressive... very good.

500 Days of Summer- Love the change of pace from traditional romantic comedy types (though less comedy here), solid but nothing special.

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain- Case of expectations being too high the movie was decidedly average (or below).

Casablanca- Not absolutely blown away, but watching it you FEEL how great the film is. Plus I'll have 'As Time Goes By' stuck in my head for the next month. Great job by Dooley Wilson with that song.

18. Ironhawk Skylord

Oh yeah. Casablanca is one of my favorite movies. :)

Saw Next with Nicolas Cage, Julianne Moore, and Jessica Biel yesterday.

Really liked it.

19. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Oh yeah, Gattaca too, forgot that one. Good movie.

20. Saber

I wanna see Gattaca; I like Ethan Hawke.

Just saw The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Pretty good, for a 1919 silent film. Very cool sets, decent story. I am wondering if The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus is a reference to TCoDC, but I haven't seen the former.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.