1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Kingdom of Sorcerer's Place?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Aikanaro, May 27, 2003.

1. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Let me explain the Ancient Greek democracy.

There are 500 men(we could change it and put also women in there, but anyway) separated in 10 or 50 (I don't remember) 'teams'. Each 'team' governs for one month. These 'teams' change eg. 'team' 1 governs in January, then 'team' 2 governs in February and so on. Every year, or so, the people vote and the man who has the most votes is an exile and leaves the country. This helps a lot, because no-one can become too powerful to become a dictator. (This man can come back after many many years.)
    There is the "Gathering of the Citizens" where all citizens who have political rights(in ancient Athens those who had the most money and were pure Atheneans) may participate. There they decide about laws, government decisions etc. The "Gathering of the Citizens" is the ultimate governmental organ. If it does not approve of a law than the law will not come into force.

That's it. I hope I didn't miss something.

So, what do you say?

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I still say the same thing sorry Alex the Great. I just don't think thats the type of government I imagin "The Kingdom of Sorcerer's Place" having.

Does anyone else have any ideas? or should we just use one of the ones mentioned above (these been the greek democracy and the one i mentioned)?

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] OK, though by definition this post belongs to SS I didn't have such topics in mind for it. I think it's more suitable for The Playground so that's where I'm moving it.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Heh, when I was first writing it I had no idea where to put it either.
    Map sounds great, greek democracy sounds interesting, so long as you prefer the Democracy of Sorcerers Place to the Kingdom of Sorcerers Place :)
    Maybe we could have a very small version of a Greek democracy. King for a month and it circulates between all interested. Not really a democracy, as no one is voting, and if someone sucks at it then that person may just end up dead the next day with a knife in his back :)

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Good, no democraty. It have ruined many fantasy things like the D&D movie. Must have been charmed by RotKU. Stupid RotKU. :p

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Please do not expect much on the maps :shake:

Also - even if there is no democracy, shouldn't there be at least a law system?

*Map Update*
    Right, so far the map has the three islands, hills/moutains on them, the underground tunnels, the monster beach on one island, forests, and dots to mark where the cites/towns are most likely to be.
    Next I'll probably put on rivers.
    Should I put trade routs and stuff on?
    I haven't name anything or whatever yet, but I have marked a couple of bits on the tunnels to be wary of.

[ June 10, 2003, 22:52: Message edited by: 8people ]

7. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I pledge myself to Sir Bel (his court is bound to be full of lapdancers ;) !). Which actually gives him the biggest army so far.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] lol, Morningstar, why would Bel need an army? And more importantly - where are the lapdancers from?

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Maybe we should start off with only one or two towns/cities to begin, until we have enough people to worry about other places.

Lapdancers eh? Knowing the twisted sense of peoples humour here we'll probably end upwith ancient crones doing the honours, as all the good looking characters will be off been interesting or adventurous.

Anyhow, anyone want to suggest some laws?

10. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

We could enforce the Draconian's laws. Steal something and say goodbye to your hands. Kill someone and say goodbye to all people you know, or even worse, say goodbye to the sun for you'll be deep into a dungeon. :D

For those who don't know, Dragon was a Spartan king and he is still known for his harsh laws(Draconian's laws).

11. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] What's the penalty for inflicting stabbity death on random people?

(Ah...knives are...fun.)

12. Register Gems: 29/31

You will bee strapped to a chair and we will hire Anna Nicole Smith and make her strip for you. :evil:

13. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Why not have someone release a total rip off of a certain black cloaked, katana wielding maniac in CS. I can see it now "How do you do Shera.

14. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] How about:

Theft - Prison, until someone busts you out or are thought to have suffered enough.
    Murder - Perhaps something like Bhodis' trial :evil: I'm sure a dungeon could be designed.

I suppose we could always do a pick 20 - 20 SP members picked at random to decide together the fate of the criminal. Supposing the criminal is caught and held.

I suppose things like, turning round to the guards and your trusty sword of kick-butt-and-run-for-it appears in your hand and you kill the guards is ridiculous though. :heh:

Perhaps even a few Drow tortures could be implyed? I am good with cruel tortures that leave little mess. :evil:

15. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm good with the tortures. Hear a lot about them when you read like a archivist. 1) make someone drink lots of water and then leap on their tummy :sick: 2) tie someone to a table/floor and let a drop of water drip onto their forehead every other second 3)oldfashioned thumbscrews 4) whips, lashes, canes... 5) torture rack 6) iron maiden (only good if you wanna kill them)
    Or the fool-proof, ever working, suicide-provoking Stick-'em-in-a-cage-with-cheerleaders torture, satisfaction guaranteed.
    It enough to make you plead for the iron maiden!

16. Register Gems: 29/31

Well, the penaltys are for the goverment to decide. Now to important matters:

1. Will we have classes or will everyone be able to raise dead, shapeshift, go berserk and throw arcana speels? I say we do!

2. Shall we say that you will have a certain level depending on how high position you have. Not only in goverment but I mean generally. I know, it can be hard to do but it was just MHO.

3. Will it be D&D:FR so we will use Shar, Helm and Cyric as gods? I say we do!

4. Will we have any connection to the outside world like write a bio that connects you with anyone else outside our game? I say we do!

5. Do we need a new forum dedicaded to this game on SP? I say we do!

My two cents.

17. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I would say that the government should not decide on the penalties. That should be layed out before hand and only changed with an agree ment of lets say half the population of the kingdom of sorcerers place. If the government decided on one then the laws and everything would constantly be changing.

On that line do we even need a government?
    I mean if we lay down all the rules before hand then just have a Kingdom of Socerer's Place meating thingy where everyone votes about law changes... I just don't think that we really need a government. If we did have one you'd have people like Shura who would get in and change the laws to allow himself to stab random people in the back.

And Rotkowski, if we do creat a class system then we should creat one from scratch or atleast change the D&D one. Some of us here aren't to knowledgeable (sp?) about D&D rules.

And what do you mean by connections with the outside world? You've lost me on this one.

How/Who will decide how high position you have?

And the Forum thingy, to that I say YES! :thumb:

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

1. I say we don't. If people start doing things that they haven't roleplayed their characters as already having or learning then they shall become under the effext of the ignore cannon. As in no one will listen to anything they say. The equivilant of not existing.

2. I say no. Free form all the way.

3. I was thinking of the possibility of people worshiping Taluntain, Ex, and BTA, as it fits in with the SP theme.

4. Erm?

5. I'm thinking of getting an entirly different forum devoted to this, a separate place from SP.

19. Rotku

He he he, worshiping Tal BTA and Ex, yeah that would be... interesting. What would they be gods of?

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Who said that they had to be the gods of anything in particular? But if they were Tal would probably be of wisdom and justice, Ex of battle and war, and BTA of various random things.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.