1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Idiot Draconis Dragon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Drasskull, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Drasskull Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Anyone got a suggestion how to kill the idiot Dragon, Draconis? I've tried to kill him for one day now AND he isn't dead!! Please help me!
    My fighter never hit him, almost... Sometimes if there' lucky. :'(

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

He's got so many spell protections in place that you'll never land a blow on him if you don't dispel them beforehand. Hit him with a few Pierce Shields and Dispel Magics and make sure you have True Sight running (Keldorn is handy here) so you'll be able to see him when he turns invisible.

Killing Draconis is always a long drawn out process because right when you get him down to badly wounded, he'll cast Heal on himself and be restored to full health. And his spell casting seems to be pretty much impossible to interrupt. I know whenever I have someone trying to cast Heal in the middle of a combat, the slightest interruption (such as someone trying to cut their head off) ruins the spell. But Draconis doesn't seem to suffer from this annoying problem.

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In my experiences with draconis, Timestop is crucial. I buff up all my characters and get as many summons as possible. At this point you should have devas and 16HD elementals. Defeat his human form as quickly as possible( remember, he casts protection from magical weapons on himself). Then, when he turns into dragon form, have both spellcasters in your party cast timestop, and cast pierce shield at least once, followed by mordenkainen's swords(which may occupy his attention). After that, pummel him to death, ignoring his invisible stalkers. If his invisibility is troubling you, have either Jan or Keldorn cast true sight.

4. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Mmmm, just hack n slash until he is dead, that is what I done, I am far to lazy to use spells and protections.

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31

You can kill him with just hack-n-slash? How? After a couple of attempts,I completely ruled out that possibility. The invisibility and protections must make it nigh-impossible.

6. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  7. david w Gems: 19/31

Hack-n-slash might work if you were very, very lucky and had lots of patience. Although until he expends all his Protection from Magic Weapons and Stoneskin spells, you're not going to get very far with this approach.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Hack and Slash with Keldorn with Carsomyr +6...no worries!! :cool: :cool:

9. Shadow Steele

Shadow Steele Still hiding in the shadows all night

[​IMG] I'm having trouble also. I am running a solo Monk, he is 40th level with 95% magic resistance and I am still getting my but handed to me. Any advice besides the obviouse, get help?

10. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Where is he, I don't remember this guy.

11. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

He's Abazigal's son- he guards the entrance to the lair and you need his head to get in.

12. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Does he ever run out of healing spells?

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Ummm... I don't know what beyond the obvious you can do with a monk. It's not like you have access to spells and the like. The only recommendation I can make is to handle him like you've handled other spell casters in the game. If he casts something that you can't do anything about, play keep away with him until his protections run out.
    I mean it's a monk - you have your basic attack and your special abilities - there's not a whole lot of strategy to use there. I suppose you can get the +6 Staff of the Ram if you're having trouble hitting him, but things like quivering palm aren't going to do anything to him because he is probably going to make his saving throw, and there's nothing you can do to increase the chance that he will fail his save.

14. david w Gems: 19/31

@Lotlanne, he runs out of healing spells eventually. I think he has two Heal spells and several lesser ones and he'll manage to cast them all without you being able to interrupt him once. I think I managed to kill him while he was casting a Heal spell by having my fighters hit him with Greater Whirlwind Attacks but that was probably just a 1 in a 100 chance and I doubt I could do it again.

With a 40th level Monk, you're probably in for a hard fight (as you've no doubt already discovered). But if you wait him out his spell protections will wear out eventually and while it may seem he has endless amounts of them, he doesn't. Just keep out of his way and then run over and belt him every couple of minutes. If you finally manage to land a blow, keep on him until he casts another Protection From Magic Weapons and then leg it. Keep running round till the spell wears off then go for him again. Keep a ready supply of healing potions to hand because he hits for some serious damage.

15. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

what about lower magic rsistance (2 or 3 times)
    and then area of effect spells (Abu Dazim, I think the cleric Holy Smite also works).

You could also have a buffed fighter soak his attacks (Jaheira with iron-skins and robe of spell deflection, or even a mage with stone-skins and some type of spell deflection) keep him occupied, -- best to use two characters taking turns for this, since one might get stunned and blown away by his wing swipe--. In the meantime, use breach and when his stoneskins are down, close in with the other fighters with whirlwind.
    (of course you should have a character with true sight on)

I was able to defeat him with this tactic, although it took a little time. I think the trick is not to gang up all your fighters on him at the beginning, since then all will be vulnerable to his attacks, but take turns and wait for the right moment.

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Casey

Notice the absence of recognization? Everyone just ignored you and all those topics :D

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

What, someone actually had a problem with this guy?

With the things you've been describing, I must've been extremely lucky then. I've always handled him with the standard Spellstrike -> Warding Whip -> Dispell -> Beat-the-crap-out-of-em tactic. The same one I use against any of the more resilient mages.

Hmm, guess I need to spend more time with him the next time I bump into him. I don't think I ever even noticed him healing himself.

18. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well since we have so many already one more probably coulden't hurt :rolleyes:

And it actually took time looking for those links you people owe me 2 minutes

Honestly though are all these reply's merely to take advantage of a chance to increase post count?

19. david w Gems: 19/31

Of course not. Posting *this* message... now *that's* just an attempt to increase my post count.

[Do it again and it'll be decreased by 50.] -Tal

[ March 31, 2004, 00:00: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

20. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Defeating draconis really depends on your party content rather than any one tactic. If you have a party like mine which is tank heavy, hack and slash is probably the way forward. I have a mage stock up on breach, pierce magic, and warding whip, and my tankers tear him to pieces. If you have a mage or rogue heavy party, you might need to use different tactics. :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.