1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Half-Blood Prince *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Cernak, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

SPOILERS?? I dunno

If you thought Dumbledore's death was kind of lame, I agree, but if you look at it a different way, it was shocking and blunt. I liked his death and I was angry at Snape, like the author intended. It was just BANG he's dead, so people were shocked. I really wanted Harry to use Avada Kedavra on Snape and Drace when they were running, I'm sure he'd have the willpower to do it now, unlike book #5.

2. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think what's there is tight and well written, but what's not there--the "loose ends"--is a problem. The book is about 200 pages shorter than "Order of the Pheonix", and lacks the wonderful "asides" that gave such life to the earlier novels. Rowling is perhaps hurrying a bit to "get through", perhaps focussing on other things in her life, as she certainly has every right to do, but in doing so, abandoning the kaleidoscopic life of her great model, Charles Dickens.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I too have to admit some disappointment with this book. Even having avoided spoilers, I found it lacked tension and real surprises.

Interesting speculations about book 7. Can't wait.

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    It waws... weak..

(So okay I was spoiled byy some jackasses but still)

Some bits werte good, some brilliant, and sopme made me go slihghtly "wtf". I liked Slughorn, and hope we hear more about Blaise Zabini's mother.

I want to strangle that Fernir nbastard... actually, I hope Lupin gets to kill him. Much love for the Lupin/Tonks pairing.

BNo comment ont he Phyl.... err, Horcruxes. Right.

*just spent the last 5 hours reading the book*

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Spoilers and ruminations...

This book, much like #3, was setting the scene. A few important things happen, sure, but you can't rush the climax or overstuff it at the expense of long-term storytelling.

My first reaction was "that backstabbing [BLEEP]!", but now, Snape-as-hero is the only explanation which makes much sense to me. His actions and behaviour throughout the book - even to the point of telling the other Death Eaters to leave Harry for Voldemort, that Harry hasn't the will for Unforgivable Curses and must master silent spells - suggest that either Snape had fooled Dumbledore all along, or that it was necessary, as others have said, to convince Voldemort that Snape could be trusted.

I think that Snape's reason for converting was solely to do with Lily and her death as a result of Snape relating the initial prophecy to Voldemort. After all, Voldemort didn't care about killing Lily - he just wanted Harry. The response to being called a coward makes sense as well - if Snape wanted to, he could have taken Harry apart for that comment. Turning your back on Voldemort (presumably for the sake of a woman you cared for and unwittingly endangered) takes stones the size of grapefruits as everyone else in that position ends up dead.

I think there might also be another intended consequence from Dumbledore's death; he died protecting Harry. My gf and I disagree on this one, but I believe that this will come back into play when Harry faces Voldemort. Voldemort made a great song and dance about being able to overcome Harry's protection in book 4; he does not know that Harry was present when Dumbledore was killed, nor that Dumbledore's actions saved Harry.

I'm glad that Harry and Ginny got together, even if it couldn't last. Ditto for Tonks and Lupin - a bit of happiness in a morose ending.

Can't wait to see Fenrir get his... I'm guessing it will be from either Lupin, Mrs Weasley or Fleur.

Was thinking the exact same thing when I read it. It's just a matter of easier pronunciation.

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Dumbledore will definitely be back...At the end of the book before the funeral, the narrative said a painting of Dumbledore was already in place in the Headmaster's office showing Dumbledore asleep in a chair...All the other paintings can talk, walk, and visit other paintings, Dumbledore will use his to talk to Harry.

Although I like the Harry Horcrux idea, I don't think he is one. If he was, he'd have to die before Voldemort could be killed. It's going to be an object of Griffyndor we haven't seen yet, IMHO.

If Snape is still a "good" guy - I will be blown away. I've never trusted him, never liked him, and Harry should lay him out!!

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*SPOILERS*

I just finished the book this wee morning, since I was cheap and waiting for it to be available at the library. ;)

The Harry+Ginny 'romance' is coming across as very contrived. I can understand the newfound feelings when Harry sees her with Dean in the hall. But didn't he sense 'something' during his stay at the Barrows? As for Ron+Hermoine, very disappointing. They may be friends, but could Hermoine really standing being around Ron? He needs to grow up more and get a backbone.

Sevurus Snape was also a disappointment. His actions and reactions are predictable. Why his big blow-up at being called a coward? :hmm: As someone pointed out, he's not emotional until then. Finding out about his Muggle father and Witch mother makes more sense as to why he's Voldemorte's 'favorite'.

I also feel that Harry is one of the horcruxes (or phyl or phylatrecy ;) ).

Overall, there are too many story hooks not explored or explained poorly. I enjoyed it, but I'm left with too many questions. :bad:

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

SPOILERS *

I, too, just finished this book after taking it out of the library :)

The last line of Kuemper's post sums up my thoughts too. Also, I found this book more predicable than the previous ones. Chapter 1 hints that Snape will betray the Order openly soon. And soon we learn that Draco turned Death Eater is plotting something at school where no bad guys could help him - what else can happen at Hogwarts except danger to Harry (not likely - that's Voldemort's job), and to Dumbledore? Then we get hints of Dumbledore weakening. Anyways...

I agree with Dumbledore continuing to help Harry in some way or another. The phoenix fire around his tomb was suspicious....

I hope Hogwarts remains open for the last book. It's the perfect setting to end the series. I wonder who will head the Slytherin house - Slughorn stays put? And another new Defense against dark arts teacher?

But I can't see how Harry can find the time to study there for his 7th year N.E.W.T's AND track down the Horcruxes and battle Voldemort and his death eaters. It seems like either Rowling will have to rush through the destruction of a few horcruxes, or the book is going to be long long long. Who do you think the two dead characters will be? :p

And some other loose ends.... Agreed with the Half Prince's potions book. Since Harry marked its location, I can see it being used again, and not just for potion lessons. And also agreed with the other DA people... especially Neville and Cho; both were treated in this book like they had served their purpose and aren't important anymore. No more funny Neville moments, nor embarassing ones with Cho. I was disappointed that Firenze didn't play a bigger role, after making such an entrance in the last book. And what about Hermoine and Victor Krum... are they still writing to each other?

And what's with Grawp and the giants? They were shoved into the plot last book but made no immediate impact. We were reminded of them again at the beginning and the end of this book, but nothing more. I bet they'll be back in the last book, with Grawp fighting with the evil giants.... maybe to retrieve one of the horcruxes. Hmm... anyone remember what gift was given to the giants by the death eaters?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.