1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Half-Blood Prince *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Cernak, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Tarron Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think R.A.B is Regulus Black. his middle name could well be Albert, as he talks of an uncle albert who lent him a bit of gold. another reason i think this is that when cleaning 12 grimmauld place they find an amulet no-one could open, which could well be the stolen horcrux. Plus the letter is addressed to the Dark Lord, the name the death eaters call him.

I still believe Harry is somehow connected to Godric Gryffindor, after all his parents were living in a village called Godrics Hollow...

Bring on the next book already!

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That does it: I'm reading the bloody books again. I remember absolutely nothing about any Regulus Black (Weren't the Black's mostly supporters of the Dark Lord?).

3. Tarron Gems: 2/31

Regulus Black became a death eater, but panicked about what he was being asked to do so backed out, and so Voldemort had him killed, or so we're told by sirius. (By the way I've been reading fan sites, i don't know all of this off the top of my head!)

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

1) Haven't we already seen the Tom Riddle diary (horcrux #1) used as a weapon (and thus treated as expendable)?

2) First, we don't know whether or not Nagini is a horcrux, so we don't have any firm rules on whether a living horcrux can be possessed. second, I wasn't saying that Voldemort purposefully tried to turn Harry into a Horcrux; I would say that if it is the case, it was an unintended effect. It hasn't really been explained how the love of Harry's mother not only made him immune to V's death curse, but also rebounded back onto V nearly killing him. So I would suggest that perhaps inadvertantly some kind of soul-transfer took place, effectively making Harry a horcrux.

IIRC, V's soul is now supposed to be split into seven. The ones we know of, then, would be 1) Voldemort himself; 2) the Tom Riddle diary (destroyed); 3) the Marvolo ring (destroyed); and 4) the Slytherin locket (stolen by R.A.B, who is perhaps Regulus Black, and who might have secreted it at 12 Grimmauld).

This leaves 3 unknowns. Possibilites are 1) Hufflepuff cup V stole from the old witch; 2 and 3) unnamed artifacts from Ravenclaw and Gryffindor; 4) Nagini; and (I would suggest) 5) Harry Potter.

Oh, and Regulus Black is mentioned a few times in book 6...

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @ Bion...

1) As Dumbledore explained in book #6 this was the doing of Lucius Malfoy, who didn't knew what it was he dealt with. Lucius thought Voldemort to be gone for good, and all he really knew was that the diary held the secret of how the chamber of secrets could be opened. Voldemort did not order Malfoy to do what he did, he acted on his own; and it was also explained that if Voldemort had known what malfoy would do, he wouldn't had approved of it.

2) That could be an option. However, we are also told about this special power Harry possesses, which Voldemort knows nothing about - love. And personally I rather believe that it was the love of Harrys mother there made him immune to the spell. Yet again, the fact that some of the Dark Lord's powers were transferred to Harry could prove you right and I wrong.

6. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Olimikrig -

It's part of Dumbledore's argument that V must have several Horcruxes that he can treat them as expendable, as he did with the diary. He makes the point that V had been intending to use it as a weapon at risk to the Horcrux itself, so his original plans for it can't have been far off what Malfoy ended up doing with it.

I think it was suggested Voldemort would have been angry with Malfoy for either not placing the diary carefully enough, or for doing it too soon, since it would be more effective after his return - but it had been intended to be used that way, whether Malfoy was aware of the significance or not.

7. olimikrig

Media:
    You're quite right! Just re-read some of the passages, and it's correct that Dumbledore says that it was indeed intended for it to be used as a weapon, but not until much later on.

Sorry, I rushed to conclusions(It happens some times :p ).

8. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

No worries, it happens to the best of us :)

9. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[potter nerdism]

here's the passage that constitutes the best evidence I think for the Harry as Horcrux thesis (p 506, US edition):

Note that 1) he only made Horcruxes with significant deaths, and 2) that he was prepared to make one when with the death of infant Harry. So perhaps he had prepared the spells at that time (maybe having stolen the Gryffindor sword that Dumbledore says is the last remaining artifact of Gryffindor!), but then inadvertantly turned Harry into a Horcrux when the spell backfired. And finally, wouldn't it have been lame to choose Nagini the snake, as he already had a Slytherin object, and the death that would have produced it was an insignificant old Muggle?

Actually, now I like the idea that Gryffindor's sword was recovered after V attempted to kill Potter...

So, finally, my tally of the Horcruxes: 1) Voldemort himself; 2) Tom Riddle's diary (destroyed); 3) Marvolo's ring (destroyed); 4) the Slytherin locket; 5) the Hufflepuff cup; 6) some yet unnamed Ravenclaw object; and 7) Harry Potter.

[/potter nerdism]

10. Tarron Gems: 2/31

The sword is not the only remaining gryffindor artifact, prof D forgot the sorting hat, which was taken off godrics head as sung by the hat itself.

This could be the gryffindor artifact, but i feel Harry potter is also a horcrux, and could possibly think that Dementors will have a big part in the next book, since they suck out someones soul.

11. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Is Harry a horcrux? That would certainly give weight to the persistent rumors that Rowling intends Harry to die in the last book. It would take some wriggling to let him live if he's a horcrux. (It would make a great Daily Prophet headline though: "Chosen One Kills Voldemort, Snape, Self!") The arguments here seem pretty balanced. Personally, I hope Harry and Ginny live happily ever after, but Rowling has proved herself a pretty tough-minded person in these situations.

Which is why I think Dumbledore is dead and gone. Rowling, I believe, is above bringing him back a la Obi-wan Kenobi, where death is merely a bright blue outline. Probably some sort of message or memory, to convince Harry that Snape must be trusted. Snape-as-Hero is the only consistent explanation of his behavior, as several posters have pointed out. Fawlkes has alway shown a partiality to Harry, and he may well not be gone. Draco's unhappy discovery that he has a conscience will be important. But I don't think Slitherin's locket will be found at 12 Grimmauld Place; it's probably in Mundungus Fletcher's briefcase.

Well, number seven will be out in a month or so and we can quit speculating.

12. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Ahhh, but if you go back to Chamber of secrets, Dumbledore makes a point of saying he will never truly leave Hogwarts whilst someone there is loyal to him. In HBP, Harry reaffirms his loyalty to Dumbledore several times, including after his death....

But I think he's dead anyway.

Did Snape have a thing for Lily? She stood up for him, was good at his best subject. Then she goes off with someone he loathes and they have a kid who has her eyes, but the face and attitude of the guy who "took her away".

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    The seventh book is actually being released only a month or so after the sixth book was released? How did they manage that?

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I thought she was taking a break for a while?

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Cernak, I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true. The seventh book is not scheduled to be released anytime soon. No online retailers even have it available for pre-order yet, and there's no word about it anywhere. And it would make no sense whatsoever to release it so soon after the 6th either. Momentum over several years needs to build before the release of every HP book. People need time to pre-order them, publishers all over the world need time to secure enough copies to meet the demand, translations need to be made, printers need time to print millions of copies, etc.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Off Topic: Wow, look at the new Taluntain. Nice.

[There's a thread to discuss it in SS.] -Tal

[ July 26, 2005, 17:05: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

17. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Just a bit of humor, folks. (He who laughs last has usually had it explained to him.)

Love the new rags, Taluntain.

[ July 29, 2005, 06:36: Message edited by: Cernak ]

18. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The scene of Dumbledore’s death was all very elaborate and ‘played out’ if you know what I mean. Why did Dumbledore freeze Harry when he could have helped him against whoever was on the other side of the door? It seems obvious that Dumbledore froze him there to bear witness but not interfere. This suggests that he knew what was about to happen, and Harry’s being there was completely intentional.

As for Draco, I agree he will play a slightly more substantial part in the final book. He was shaken by his inability to kill Dumbledore, he gave in to his weakness and lowered his wand before Snape killed D. Does this mean he’s finally deciding that following in his father’s footsteps to Azkaban might not be such a good idea? Remember that Draco Idolises his father, and to see him taken to prison was probably a big shock for him. His first reaction was violent- become a death eater and get his revenge. Now he’s had a taste of real evil, and he doesn’t seem to like it much.

In regards to Voldemort using Harry as a Horcrux, I wouldn’t push this idea aside too quickly. Voldemort is a genius and he knows about the prophecy. If he knows Harry is the only one who can kill him, then turning him into a Horcrux induces catch twenty two. He can’t die while Harry is still alive, but Harry can’t kill him if he’s dead. (Personally, I don’t think Harry’s death is too far from the truth- I have my doubts he’ll survive the final book.) In this way, the prophecy is proved right- Harry is the only person with the power to kill Voldemort, by dying. In doing so, he renders Voldemort mortal once more and leaves him open to attack from anywhere.

In regards to Fawkes, in book two, Dumbledore tells Harry that it was his undying loyalty to Dumbledore that summoned him. Could this have something to do with the fact that the line ‘Dumbledore’s man, through and through’ has been repeated several times in this book?

And for the record, I don’t think Dumbledore will come back, but Harry’s desire for revenge will be enflamed anew etc.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That book could have been a *lot* better. There were too many things that were just skimmed over in order to get to the point. Far too many loose things which only showed up when they were immediately relevant to the plot (I mean, come on, what was Crookshanks doing that whole book? And how many Defence Against the Dark Arts lessons did we see? And why precisely was the DA disbanded just as the Dark Lord rises up to start taking over the world? Why were there only Quiddich games when it was against Gryfindor?)

This book could also be called 'Harry Potter and the Raging Hormones' - that was all very badly written. The first time he started wanting to kill people because they were kissing Ginny I thought he was under some kind of spell...

More detail was needed, more using/tying up of loose ends which are no longer strictly relevant to the plot, but interesting to see how they progress anyway.

20. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Bion - about Regulus Black, it's good to see someone else's thought of that, too :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.