1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The good of NWN2

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by omnigodly, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Can you pick up Sand? I don't think I've ever had the option...Qara is annoying, but those 7 fireballs she has tends to soften up any enemy we face!

2. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Bel -- I had expressed my dismay at Sand being relegated to sitting behind a desk and not able to join my party and Bombur told me "patience" -- so I assumed the option comes up later? Bombur?? Can you tell us when?

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You get Sand at the start of Chapter 2. Won't tell you what you have to do to get to Chapter 2 though :)

Looks like you can add up to 3 properties to your weapons.

I made
    • Blackthorne's Shock Fang: Adamantine Greatsword (which adds +2 Magic Damage), +4 Enchantment, 1d6 Shock Damage
    • Khelgar's Holy Might: His original Dwarven Waraxe, +4 Enchantment, +2d6 vs. Evil, +1d6 Fire Damage
    Sweet! Right after I made them, I went on my vigil (you'll find out) and hacked through 3 Assassins with Blackthorne's Shock Fang like they were butter :)

The only lameness is the Greatsword is all black and has no standing effect showing; I want the electric effect like that Horus Re Greataxe. The Waraxe has the holy effect showing on it though so that was cool.

4. Spellbound

BTA -- I'd like to get started with weapon crafting -- don't know anything about it -- but the manual says we have to have molds first -- are they hard to find? Can you give any tips to enchanting a weapon? (Maybe this should be a new thread).

Thanks

5. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Crafting is cool! You need to find the recipe books - they are littered throughout the campaign...I'm on my way to Luskan right now with that evil ranger from the Flagon. So far I've made:

Paladin full plate: +2 mithral plate armor
    Astral Sword +3 1d6 sonic (although I didn't add the sonic to it)
    Umber Hulk Large Shield: +2 (immunity to mind affecting spells)
    Cold Iron longsword +2
    Alchemical silver longsword +2

Khelgar is wielding Horus Re - that is a cool greataxe!!

I want to find more gems, ingots and recipes before I do any serious crafting!!

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You get a bunch of molds for free in Fort Locke where the crafting stations are, and there's a guy there who will explain crafting and enchanting to you. You can buy other molds at various merchants, and the molds tell you what materials you need to craft the weapon.

You need someone with skill in Craft Weapons, and how much skill depends on the weapon and even more on the material (Adamantine is the hardest; I needed to buy the Artificer Gloves in order to make my Greatsword so early). If you left click on the skill, it will tell you how much skill you need for various weapons and materials.

Enchanting is just as easy. You just need to find the various books that tell you the recipes, and then have someone with the Craft Arms and Armor feat (which I gave to Elanee), and can cast the appropriate spell; and someone with the Alchemy skill (which I gave to Neeshka) to break down items you find (parts of monsters mostly) into various essences that the recipes call for.

The recipes have requirements for kind of essences, gems, spell that needs to be cast on the Magicians Workbench and the caster level required to be successful.

EDIT:
    Yeah, I had Khelgar with Horus Re too until I upgraded his Waraxe. He has focus and other feats in Dwarven Waraxe, so that's why I upgraded it. I figured there wouldn't be many Dwarven Waraxes I'd come across during my travels (I haven't found one at all so far)

7. Spellbound

Thanks very much guys -- sounds like fun. I've sold off a all of my gems so far -- so that'll be a problem. Where did you find Horus Re?? I've just got him with a dwarven axe currently -- but I did have him weild one that had blue lightning all over it -- +4 for Orcs. But since we're past the orcs, I switched back the weapons.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You just need the more expensive gems; you can always buy them back if you need to.

That's the Greataxe we're talking about. I think the name is actually Re's Redemption or something like that. It's still good even when you're not killing Orcs because of the 1d6 vs. Evil. Plus it just looks cool and the great effects when it hits :)

9. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Gah! Looks like I wasted the enchantments on Khelgar's Waraxe, because now he's a Monk!

Oh well, I just created a Cold Iron Kama with the same enchantments except +3 instead of +4 since I didn't have another Star Sapphire.

I was afraid when Khelgar became a Monk it would be useless since he's progressed so far as a Fighter, but they basically start him over as a L1 Monk with all the XP he currently has, so you end up with a Khelgar Monk at the same level he was as a Fighter.

As a bonus, I think you basically get the extra ability scores from his level-ups as a Fighter because he had the same scores when he became a L1 Monk and got the usual score increases as he levelled in Monk. :)

11. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm not letting Khelgar become a monk. Sorry obsidian devs, but I'm just not interested in going that route. I saved right before Khelgar entered the temple of Tyr after completing the trial of justice, leveled Khelgar up to lvl 14 as monk, saw all of his gear that was now unusable, and thought, "nah!" Hopefully Khelgar won't start bugging me about this later in the game. :evil:

Anyhow, one comment I have about the OC is that it is so incredibly long. Act I was huge. And now I'm in act II, I've gotten through the trial, I've done a bunch of side quests (Neeshka's, City Watch Stuff, Nevalle's quest) and there is just always more and more to do. And I haven't even gotten my keep yet, which from what I understand is a significant party of Act II.

I've read that the average level to end the game is 17. I'm already approaching level 15, and still have, I think, a lot to do in act II and the entirety of act III to complete. Either the game is going to stop giving out xp, or I'm going to end a lot higher than level 17.

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yeah, I feel the same way. There is so much to do in this game. And frequently, you can get another quick side quest if you go back and talk to someone like Brelaina or Nevalle.

I kinda felt the same about Khelgar too, but then I thought about all the resistances he'll have (evasion; spell, poison, disease etc.) that it'd be good. And I knew that was the path to begin with; it's not like it wasn't obvious :) It would have been really lame if he remained a L14 Fighter and just started getting new Monk levels, so that turned out pretty well I thought.

And like I mentioned he gets to keep all his strength bonuses (well if you took the defaults at level-up). Since the change he hasn't seemed any more vulnerable or any less effective in battle, though I need to keep remembering to turn on his Flurry of Blows :)

13. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That statement right there is one of the reasons I didn't want to deal with Khelgar as a monk. A high level monk has no reason not to use flurry of blows each and every time he/she attacks. When/If this gets changed in a patch, I'll consider bringing a monk through the game. This same idea applies to defensive casting, power attacking, etc, but affects a monk during each and every combat round, and over the course of the game, that's a lot of unnecessary clicking.

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    I'm guessing that change won't affect me too too much...I'll miss Khelgar dealing 75 critical hit damage, but Shandra's turning into a decent support fighter. I just started Part II, and I agree - there's a lot to do in this game.

I'm looking forward to managing the stronghold - I'm assuming I'll take charge of Old Owl Well, considering I found miners for ore, some troops with Casavir, and I have good relations with the Ironfists. I just want some more gems to craft! Crafting items is fun!

Right now my default party is:

Belisarius Durendal Pal 7/Divine Champ 5 (going back to pally from now on...

Shandra Jerro - F14

Elanee - D14

Sand - Wiz 14

Khelgar - F14

I haven't found a cleric yet....But so far, I haven't really needed one.

15. Marceror

Media:
    Well, I just got my keep. Cool! Now I hope I don't prove an unfit leader!

16. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu!
    Dwarf barbarians rule :D . NWN2 seems to have no use for two handed weapons, though. Hafta change my greataxe to some other sharp instrument.

17. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Bel - You don't use Neeshka? I hate going without a thief :)

Man, I love Blackthorne's Shock Fang. Mages/Succubi with Stoneskin? Dead! Iron Golems? Dead! Adamantine comes in handy pretty often.

I just found the Gemsword which is similar to the sword I made, just not Adamantine, so I added 2d6 vs. Evil to make a Holy Gemsword and use it when I don't need Adamantine. It has the sweet electric effect on it too which is nice.

18. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

I didn't mind kelghar becoming a monk 'cause he had the uber ironfist weapon you will all soon come to love. Of course I might've preferred him as a fighter to wield a weapon, but I ignored the fact he was monk for the rest of the game and just through him in as if he was a fighter :p .

I think I ended the game around level 19-21. I loved doing every last little quest.

19. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Neeshka annoys me. I pretty much just bull through traps in this game. Plus, I'm playing a paladin, so thievery is, um...Bad!

I thought it was funny, I make a smarta$$ comment in dialog mode or thump an evil orc unprovoked and I get a point towards chaotic alignment - Yet I can break into a noble collector's house, rob the place blind, steal a painting and threaten the owner...And I get a ton of XP for my effort. From an RP standpoint, far from good paladin behavior!

On a positive note, it's good to see my lawyering skills are still sharp - I won my case on the Ember trial. Yet I still had to fight Lorne anyway...And I thumped him pretty easily!

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You do get more chaotic for agreeing to help Neeshka rob the Collector though. And I got a TON of chaotic points for letting those Imps near the academy out of their crates :) Makes up for all that Lawful crap I did :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.