1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Future of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 5, 2008.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Ziad, your assumptions are blinding you. First and foremost, even above homophobia being a mental illness, it is a fear mental illness. You are irrationally afraid of something in phobia. Now, phobias can result in hatred response, but this is generally a blindly violent reaction to immediate and drastic exposure. Trying to rationally and carefully persuade someone of something doesn't even fall close to this. The above activity is not homophobia in anything other than a 5-year-old's name-calling.

Secondly, it isn't a 'personal belief system', it's a religion which, by it's very nature, acts to define a universal system of good and evil, and set out punishments for evil and rewards for good. Acts to try and gently move people away from evil and toward good are not out of hatred of anything but the evil itself. They are out of love for the one being moved.

Thirdly, bringing something up during voluntary conversations on the topic are not harassment, not even close. You and I are not harassing each other right now because we are both voluntarily agreeing to be involved in the discussion. If he's banging on the guy's door or preaching through a megaphone at 2:00 AM, then that's harassment. If he's randomly calling the person at work and home, then it's harassment. If he casually invites the guy to church, if he talks about his beliefs over lunch, that's not harassment, not even close.

Actually, if it's a genuine conversion (and not that pressured/forced crap), the I think it is a real solution. The solution has to be societal/cultural, and religion is that.

Here you're just wrong, and here you're assumptions are really showing through. Logic and religion are not synonymous, but they are not opposites, either. Historically speaking, almost all your greatest logicians and philosophers, as well as the vast majority of the greatest scientists, have been devoutly religious, and have rationally questioned their religions and found them well grounded. You blindly claim that all religion is 'irrational', yet you seem to ignore all the wonderfully rational logic that has been applied by some of the best minds of today and the past several thousand years. Who's really being irrational here?

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

NOG and Gnarff dealt with the rationality issue, so I won't bother.

What I see here is two (or more) groups attempting to influence society. People are allowed to take part in the decisions that affect the society as a whole, decisions like what constitutes marriage. No one group is allowed to have a stranglehold over those decisions, and ideally no group is supposed to engage in illegal/terroristic actions that strike fear into the other group. That's what the whole "separation of church and state" thing means, IMHO -- one religious group cannot achieve a deadlock over the policies of the state, but all religious groups -- and other groups too, like the gay rights groups -- have a right to speak out on issues and try to influence the society in which both groups exists.

I think both groups should be listened to and allowed to forward their positions, without attempts to stifle them with PC silliness or attempts to catagorize mere statements of belief as "hate speech".

As for the homophobe thing, it strikes me as merely an erudite way of saying "I'm not going to listen to what you say because basically, you don't agree with me, and that makes you retarded (mentally ill)." Not exactly a mature debating style.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is funny to see people first loudly claim: I am not a homophobe! And then in detail express homophobic opinions, like Martaug wrote, it just feels wrong to give them the right to marry. It is like a person saying that he is no racist but everyone is happier if black people only mix with black people and white people with white people.

There might be a reason why you guys and people of your opinions are so often called homophobes, bigots or racists, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck it probably is a duck even if someone taped on a sign on it where it says: Cat.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    No, it has more to do with people who are so flabbergasted that someone may not agree with an opinion/point of view, that somehow there must be something wrong with the dissenter. Rather then accepting an alternative point of view, it is easier to call the person a homophobe or a racist and then dismiss them.

To put the shoe on the other foot (as conservatives are not blameless) it is similar to when conservatives call anti-war advocates "Anti-American" and therefore they can be dismissed as they obviously don't have the best interests of the country at heart.

I hope this helps, if not I give up. :deadhorse:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  5. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Let's see how many we can come up with:
    Anti-American
    Communist
    Anti-Choice
    Anti-Life
    Homophobe
    Anti-Marriage
    Anyone want to add?

Joacqin, the problem with your arguement is that you quite obviously don't even try to understand the other side of the arguement, you just call them irrational, homophobic, etc. The others have at least tried to understand the sides of the arguements, even if they still disagree with them.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But that's what I'm talking about too. If it is to be treated the same under the law, then it should be the same under the law. That way there is no possibility that the two classes are treated differently. As long as they are different under the law, they can be treated differently. I still don't understand why some are incapable of using context with a word to understand it (i.e marriage in the context of the state and marriage in the context of a religious sacrament), but that is something we've already beaten to death in another thread, so I know I never will understand it.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    BTA,
    don't you understand? It's because marriage is between a man and a woman and ...

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm dying to know how you think that sentence should be finished. "and..." what? Their goat? Their neighbor? Their turkey baster? Their three cousins?

:p

martaug likes this.
  9. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Blackthorne, that's why I advocate the cesation of the legal term 'marriage' altogether. Henceforth, they should all be called 'civil unions' in legal documentation. If the couple wants to refer to themselves as married, that's ok. If they want to have a ceremony in a church (or Mosque, or Temple, or whatever), that's fine, but the courts see it as a civil union, with all the legal rights and responsabilities pertaining thereunto.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  10. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The ones you speak of in the first group are the ones that maintain their perspective on the issue. Look at the protests in California to see the worst. I saw a segment on CNN where they showed some protesters, and the one sign that showed up was very offensive to the Mormons in particular (at least it was meant to be. I envy the ones that can just ignore such things).

That's one thing I think too many heterosexual couples forget, but they would do well to remember. If they viewed themselves as partners rather than adversaries when conflict arises, would that not reduce the fighting? Further, 'till death do us part really hasn't changed. Divorce happens, but a man still have to see the ex when you visit the kids and you're still paying alimonty and child support...

But genuine conversions don't happen in large groups. It's a very personal experience. I do agree that if Christianity is followed, the world would be a better place however.

So regardless of how you present yourself, if someone holds a negtive opinion of you it's true? I don't want to buy that, no matter how hard you sell yourself in such an undesirble manner.

---------- Added 0 hours, 8 minutes and 40 seconds later... ----------

Then the government should never have stuck their nose into marriage in the first place. By legislating marriage, they set their hands in an arguement of morality, ultimately for the public good. It is that reason that the law was upheld in 1878 despite a violation of the First ammendment. That precident itself makes Same Sex Marriage illegal.

That said, these 1000 plus rights are not gender specific, and thus should apply to married, common law or domestic partnerships equally. This does not demand the redefinition of marriage. Therefore, any attempt to demand this is an act of hatred against religious organizations that consider heterosexual marriage sacred.

The 1878 Supreme court ruling basically cut that off after the word woman. Sorry to disappoint you Splunge, but there is nothing added after the Man and a Woman. No matter how hot her friend is...

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It's not exactly difficult to understand why some, many, or even most gays in CA might be just a little upset with the Mormon church. If you don't understand why, imagine what your reaction would be if gays from across the country worked--successfully--to make it impossible for Mormons in Ontario to marry.

I suspect you'd be infuriated.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Upset, yes. Infuriated, some would be. But I doubt the members would go to such extremes of hatred and bigotry as these protesters did. If a radical member or group of members were to advocate that gays be given the choice to "go straight or be destroyed" they would likely be excommunicated! Even overt acts of intolerance, hatred or violence would lead to Church Diciplinary Council to review the conduct. Further, the action by the gays in your example would be deliberately targetting a religious organization. This was not the intent with Proposition 8.

The fact remains that the people of California voted to defend that which they consider sacred. This was not done arbitrarily, or out of hatred for the gay community. It was done to preserve traditional morality. The people have spoken, and rather than act like a bunch of hate filled savages, the gay community and their supporters need to instead focus on gay rights as opposed to forcing a change in religious mores.

People here get up in arms when I advocate a law in line with my religious belief, accusing me of trying to force my beliefs ont he rest of you, but where are those voices when another group is trying to force their values on those that not only do not agree, but rigidly disapprove of the proposed change? I've said before that the Gay Marriage debate was less about gay rights and more about picking a fight with religious people.

Further, the monies raised towards Proposition 8 was not done by the church itself, but donated by individual members. That's right, individual members donated $20 million to various groups trying to promote Proposition 8. No Church funds (also donated by the members) were used in this campaign. But because the General Authorities actually spoke in this issue specifically, the Church itself is demonized.

But what the Church itself has done is no different now than it has been since the beginning. Joseph Smith taught that our time, talents and resources belong to the Lord, and that we are accountable to Him for how they are used. Members have, since the beginning, been exhorted to support worthy causes with whatever time and money they could spare. Check the news reports after many natural disasters, and you may see reports of Mormons pitching in to help people rebuild and to supply the people in need after these disasters.

In 1995, the Church declared that Heterosexual Marriage and the Family were sacred and called upon all responsible Citizens to support measures to preserve these things. All we've done is excercise our constitutional rights, and we are villified? No, that's not bigotry...

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And

And also

Can someone explain this to me? I think this is the disconnect for me in the arguement against homosexual marriages. How do two gay people getting married force their morality on people who are not gay? How do two gay people getting married force others to accomodate them? How do two gay people getting married force a change in religious mores?

To me, it seems that your belief system is very weak (or you are of very weak faith) if two people of the same sex getting married causes your belief system to change. I know there are those that will say that they view marriage as sacred and homosexual marriage is against their belief system. I get that. What I don't get is how two gay people getting married at a courthouse changes the Mormon definition of marriage. Or the Catholic definition of marriage. Or the Jewish definition of marriage. Or [fill in the blank belief system] definition of marriage. People getting married at a courthouse - regardless of their gender - should have zero impact on your belief system, should not force you to change your morality, force you to accomodate them in any way, or force you to change your religious mores, because... wait for it... a marriage at a courthouse has nothing to do with religion.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I already tried figuring that out in another thread to no avail.

As I understand the argument, it's that the word marriage has its origins in a certain Christian religion and has since its origins meant a joining of a man and a woman. So, by accomodating homosexual unions in the definition of the word marriage you are fundamentally changing a sacred religious rite because the word marriage belongs to that certain Christian religion and the state has only co-opted the word marriage for its legal contract at the sufferance of said Christain religion. There is no possibility to use context to figure out what the word marriage means with regard to the state's legal contract vice the religious rite.

15. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Blackthorne, spot on except it isn't Christianity. Christianity is a pretty new development. If you want to look for origins you have to look at the religions that show evidence of development before writting, things like Judaism, the Chaldean beliefs, etc. All these define marriage as a heterosexual matter and all that I know of (with is not all by any means) present it as originating from God or the gods. Now, you may be able to make an arguement of original definition if you were going for multiple marriages, but not homosexuality. The question then is, do we care? Obviously some of us do.

The real issue, though, has to boil down to our system of government. We've redefined plenty of terms in the past few hundred years, so there's a precident for marriage. As our system works, the majority, or the people that the majority elect, tend to hold most of the power and make most of the definitions and decisions. You can call this the President, Congress, the state legislature, whatever. The exception here in America is the courts, which are mostly appointed by those elected, not elected themselves. Now, the people in many places have spoken and said they don't want gay marriage. In some of those places, the issue has gone to courts and either is doing so again, or will do so again. We'll see how things go.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    BTA - All of this over the definition of a word? That defies belief - to the point that I think it is a convenient excuse more than a valid reason. As NOG correctly points out, terms get redefined through the years - it is not an uncommon occurance. I was really hoping the anti-homosexual marriage crowd could do better than clinging to a definition that was introduced several millenia ago.

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Please explain to me why it is so important to homosexuals to be able to use the word marriage?

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Because a civil (ie non-religious) union is called "marriage", and because (at least in a non-religious context) non-discrimination laws prohibit differentiating on the basis of sexual orientation.

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For the same reason you would want to call yours a marriage. Because when they meet someone they love enough to spend the rest of their lives with, to start a family with, to grow old with...they want to marry that person. It is every bit as sacred, important and meaningful to them as it is to you. That's why it's important, and that's why they want it so badly. Calling it something less means that it is something less.

Imagine someone told you you couldn't marry because you were a Jew. Think about how that would make you feel. Now imagine you're gay, and told that you aren't allowed to marry the person you choose, and if you insist on moving forward, you won't be allowed to call it a marriage like everyone else in our society gets to, hence, it won't really BE a marriage. It will be inherently less than a marriage, not because of what it is, but because of how other people feel about it. How do you feel now?

It's easy to see why it's so important if you take a minute and put yourself in their shoes. Too few opponents of gay marriage are ever willing to do that.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Splunge likes this.
  20. Splunge

Media:
    DR, you said basically what I started to type in my response, but I was doing a crappy job of putting it into words, so I went in a somewhat different direction. I figured somebody like you would come along and do a better job of it than I would have done. Thanks for proving me right. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.