1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Future of the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 5, 2008.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I wouldn't say that. These sort of things result in power struggles within the party. Those power struggles determine who will be the nominee, which in turn is fairly significant come the general election.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tue, so long as moderates stay independant and do not vote in the primaries we will forever be represented by the far right. Even I rarely vote far right.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Drew, my point is that almost everything I've seen lately has been about Obama and the Dem Congress, which makes sense, them being the ones in power and all. The most news I've seen the Reps making recently is their complaining about the Health Care Add/discussion/whateveryoucallit. No leadership is no news. No news is good news for the out-party.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    NOG, you will see the "party of NO" accusations fly in earnest come election time. (You'd be seeing them right now, but I get the impression that you get your information from FOX news and talk radio instead of CNN, MSNBC, your local network, NPR, or the print media. I hear such accusations all the time in my echo chamber.

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Actually, at the moment I'm getting news from whatever pops up. You guys, local news, Fox, MSNBC, etc. Of course, I take it all with various grains of salt.

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Great point, Drew. It's really not even about principles, but about a lack of solutions. They are the party of the status quo.

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Chandos, when you're talking about most of the talking points, the status quo is a solution, just not one you like.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Obviously, it's not the one that most Americans like either. Hence the reason the previous party got kicked out.

I don't think it's what I'm commenting on, (things that are broken, like health care).

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, the status quo can never be a solution. You don't solve things with the status quo. When arguing for the status quo, you are really arguing about what the problem is, or if there is even a problem to begin with.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Well, sure it does. The status quo solves climate change with an apocalypse and a population crash. It's not a good solution, but it's a solution.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    AMaster,
    can there be a better solution for a true believer than the rapture, and being called to haven without the messy problem of dying?

12. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yep lets be like the democrats & add a 300 page amendment to a bill being voted on in less than 12 hrs.
    I would much rather be a part of the "no" party than the "screw you" party that the dems have become.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So you are saying the Republican party has never ever done something like that? I seem to remember similar cases in the early years of the so-called "War on Terror".

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That may be the case, but maybe you remember this

How's that working out for you?

15. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

@TGS: I don't know yet. Would you be kind enough to offer a link to the piece of news that you and martaug refer to? I skimmed the headlines on a few news sites, but did not find it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm assuming you are talking about the cap and trade bill. I'd watch this

This has currently barely passed the house and Obama is calling on the senate to pass it quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    In that case no one seems to be happy with the bill since, again, the Democrats gave away the farm to big business. I would have thought that consevatives would be elated by it since it is not what Obama promised and instead helps to keep that status quo, with dependence on fossil fuels and old technology. In the process conservatives get a bonus with the gutting of the Clean Air Act. I mean, what more could conservatives ask for? Of course, short of doing nothing....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/18/big-coal-using-climate-ch_n_217045.html

This is why I've never been a Democrat. In the end, it's just different spelling for "Republican."

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Which is why these idiots in Congress shouldn't be voting on huge bills when they have no idea of the contents. Is this typical for all legislation? I really wouldn't be surprised...

I mean really, what is the job of a legislator? It seems like it's to vote on party lines and/or with whomever gives them the most money. What's in a bill is immaterial.

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wish I didn't agree with that. :nolike:

Cynicism blows.

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    They're gutting the Clean Air Act in order to pass a Cap and Trade plan?

... Ok, someone needs to be shot! Seriously, the main reason I haven't been more vocal about plans for CO2 control is that the big emmitters (coal) are nasty in plenty of other ways, too. In other words, while I vocally object to the process for containing them, I agree with the end result. Now, however, they're so focused on CO2 that they're willing to let the real toxins slide?

Well, I guess we won't have to have the Mercury scrubbers on the coal plants anymore, or the Sulfer Dioxide control, or the CO control, or any of the other dozens of toxins the Clean Air act currently covers, just so long as they can trade carbon credits for their CO2!

Seriously, is ANYONE in support of this bill now?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.