1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Few Lame (or merely overlooked) Kits

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Death Rabbit, May 22, 2003.

1. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I won't get too specific, seeing as this is the SOA forum, but later events render all posibility of Charname's mother being in a barbaric background invalid.

Still, the barbarian is an extremely potent kit. His rage, speed and damage reduction is simply awesome at high levels.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

There was a thread earlier on that dealt with this topic, which included the theoretical book title "Me Smash You to Goo -- Unlocking Your Inner Rage".

One wonders, though, what sort of training old Gorion permitted / encouraged, etc while the PC was at Candlekeep. If I were him, I'd encourage Paladin or Clerical training in the hopes that the intervention of a living god might help quench the Bhaalspawn.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31

On this note, I would say that Gorion would most likely have set the PC on either the path of the Wizard or Fighter.

Ranger seems rather credulous, seeing as he/she is constantly confined in Candlekeep.

Bard is every bit as possible as the Fighter or Wizard, though they tend to be inferior.

Druid is highly unlikely, given the fact that Candlekeep is far removed from the wilds.

Monk? Perhaps. In FR, monks don't neccessarily come from Kara-tur.

Sorcerer? Equally likely, though the Wizard is more fitting to the studious environment of Candlekeep.

Thief/Rogue? Very possible. Just look at Imoen! But the PC seems to be the serious counterpart to Imoen's rougish side so to me, my PC simply cannot be a pure thief/rogue.

Finally, I would say that Paladin and Cleric are highly unlikely. Your PC is a Bhaalspawn for crying out loud. The blood of evil flows in your veins! Gorion would never attempt to mess up his beloved ward even more by setting him on the path of a paladin.

As for cleric, being the child of a god might not be conducive to the worship of other gods. They might view Bhaal's taint in different ways:

Lathander/Helm/Torm/Tyr: It's evil! Smite it! Smite it now!

Eldath/Salvanas: It's a travesty to nature! Eliminate it!

Bane/Cyric/Talos: It's a rival to my power! Kill it! Kill it!

Hence, IMO, Gorion would have alienated the gods as much as possible from the PC.

That's just my take on it.

And going back to the topic, has anyone been able to use the beastmaster at all? His summons really suck late in the game and all he becomes is really a mediorce archer with sub-par spell-casting abilities. Roleplaying and all is fine but it irks me when I see every other party member simply being more useful than the main character.

Note: This only applies in SOA. There is an item that drastically changes the above mentioned situation in the expansion.

4. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

"I won't get too specific, seeing as this is the SOA forum, but later events render all posibility of Charname's mother being in a barbaric background invalid."

Okay, but that still doesne't rule out that you were taken away from her at birth by a barbarian tribe (ala Conan) and raise dby them for the first half of your life before getting dumped into Gorion's lap.... ;)

And as for the beast master's summoning ability: sucks big time! You're already getting spellcasting ablity later than a druid anyway -- so getting animal summoning spells a little sooner just means they're still useless against the caliber of enemy you'll be facing at that point in your career.

5. Shura Gems: 25/31

Nuh-uh.
    Even that possibility is negated.

6. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

From a roleplaying perspective, I think it is possible that Gorion would have raised Charname to be a Paladin, Cleric or Good aligned warrior or mage.

Look at our little sister Imoen-- Irenicus said that there is no shadow in her spirit.

So even though we have the blood of Bhaal in us, we still have control of our spirits! :)

Just like an old sports adage: "That shot by Jordan that forced the game into overtime just broke the Cavaliers spirits!"

Like spirit as in "your will to do things when forces are against you!" :D Its a struggle sometimes! Maybe even more for a Bhaalspawn! But Immy is so sweet!

And, remember the first time the Charname turns into the Slayer?

Spoiler!..........
    The first time Charname turns into the Slayer is after the moment when Irenicus took Charname's soul! :(

So as long as we got our soul, we can overtake our Bhaal blood urges! So therefore I think its possible that Gorion would have encouraged Charname to go the Paladin/good Cleric/good fighter/good mage route!

Even when we didn't have our soul, we been with our soul for so long, that we know how to fight our Bhaalblood without it! We spend so much time killing, surely we know how to kill the things that are not good for us! :D Focus our rage vs. our own Bhaalness!

As for the Bard class, Bards are clowns, and Immy got an awsome sense of humour, and Charname and her got along swell, and possibly always crackin' jokes with eachother, making fun of all the people they saw, so Bard is definately a possibility! :rolling: You and her were the only kids there, so alot of time hanging out could have been dedicated to doing happy Bard type of things!

:D

[ October 18, 2003, 20:21: Message edited by: Neeraj the Freak Paladin ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.