1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The fates of BG1 companions in BG2 (slight spoilers)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chris Williams, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Here's a list of all your companions from BG1 who show up again and what happens to them. There are some spoilers so look away if you're still playing the game for the first time.
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    Should you play through the tutorial, you will encounter Branwen and Xan. You won't see them again.

Of course, several former companions will happily (or unhappily) join up with you in BG2. They are: Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira, Viconia and Edwin.

Dynaheir was killed by Jon Irenicus before the start of BG2. Likewise Khalid, whose dissected corpse you find on a table on the second level of Irenicus's dungeon.

Quayle is in a circus in Waukeen's Promenade. I don't think you'd take him even if he wanted you to.

Xzar wants you to look inside the Harper's hold in the docks for his friend Montaron. Xzar ends up dead on the blade of a Harper assassin. Montaron is a corpse whom you can later find in the hold.

Garrick can be found in the Temple district trying - ineptly - to woo a female paladin of the Order of the Radiant Heart. If you talk to him Jaheira insults him.

Faldorn has gone very much to the dark side. She is the leader of the Shadow Druids who have taken control of the druid grove near Trademeet. Either you, Cernd or Jaheira kills her.

Ajantis is one of the paldins that you kill in the Windspear Hills.

Tiax is one of the inmates of the Spellhold asylum. He will help you in your first battle with Jon Irenicus. Unfortunately, he will not survive the encounter.

Coran can be found in the Forest Of Tethir. He is still hopelessly in love with Safana. Safana is trying to betray you for the bounty on your head and has linked up with some wolfweres. The pack leader, however, is in love with Coran and kills Safana and declares her love. Coran wants nothing to do with her so she kills Coran as well.

Kivan is there somewhere in the game engine. Presumably it was originally intended that he be a possible follower but was later removed. Playing around, I used the console to create him and then used CTRL-Q to get him to join my party. He was a second level ranger without an awful lot to say for himself.

As for the ones to whom no reference is made, they are: Alora, Yeslick, Skie, Eldoth, Kagain and Shar-Teel.

Does anybody have a list of the BG1 NPCs who make an appearance somewhere or other. Tazok springs to mind as does Dradeel. Anybody else?

[ November 18, 2003, 22:32: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Neb the child-killing dwarf makes an appearance, as does Elminster and Drizzt.

While not an appearances per se, there are additional connections. Yoshimo is supposed to have joined Irenicus to find his sister Kachiko, Sarevok's consort in BG. The spider lady who has the two handed sword Spider's Bane in BG references "Icarus" if charmed (Bioware's original name for Irenicus). The reference was actually changed in a later patch to Irenicus. Prism, the artist slain by Greywolf near the Nashkel mines, was making a carving of Ellisime. Prism is also referenced in the Sir Sarles quest.

There's an unconfirmed rumor that originally you would encounter Shar-Teel in ToB, but since this is the SoA forum I'll be quiet.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

3. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Callahan from TotSC is in Brynnelaw, the pirate town where Spellhold is. He'll help smuggle someone off the island IIRC.

4. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

"Yoshimo is supposed to have joined Irenicus to find his sister Kachiko, Sarevok's consort in BG."

Uh, I can't remember her name off the top of my head, but I don't think Sarevok's consort was named "Kachiko."

"The spider lady who has the two handed sword Spider's Bane in BG references "Icarus" if charmed (Bioware's original name for Irenicus). The reference was actually changed in a later patch to Irenicus."

Uh, I've NEVER seen the name "Irenicus" here, not even with the Original Saga version. Maybe you're thinking of some unofficial MOD, rather than an official PATCH....

EDIT: Yes, I've heard her mention "Icarus" before, but never "Irenicus" -- guess I need to charm her to check the rest out.... ;)

[ October 14, 2003, 22:36: Message edited by: Buck Naked ]

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Buck...

Icarus is said in BG1 by the fat lady in the Spiders den if you choose the right dialogue.

It's actually Tomoko if I'm thinking of the same person (the one with the black Full Plate +1 who fights you just in front of the "church"). How do you find out why Yoshimo joined Jonny? I thought it was just for the cash-money and later found out what a dillhole Irenicus was.

6. CamDawg

Sheesh, it is Tomoko. I have no idea where I got Kachiko from. I'm especially embarassed I forgot Calahan since he's going to be involved in the Delainy/Durlyle BG2 mod we're working on. :doh:

Icelus (who visits here) and Barren Fischa are working on an Unfinished Business mod to restore cut quests to BG2. Bioware developer David Gaider had mentioned the Tomoko-Yoshimo connection in a chat, and there was a post from Gaider where he mentioned a cut ToB banter where [snip] talks about feeling responsible for their deaths.

The fat spider lady in BG is Centeol. If charmed she has this dialogue:

Tanova is one of the vampires in Bohdi's lair, but it appears they dropped the Irenicus-Tanova love connection in BG2. This dialogue with Centeol spawns an even more interesting journal entry:

In the original BG release, the name used was Jon Icarus. If you have The Original Saga (the later 3CD set) the name is changed to Jon Irenicus.

[ToB NPC spoiler removed.] -Tal

[ October 14, 2003, 19:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

I've never thought of charming that wretched thing. Go figure.

Anyway, how did you get the information to do the "Unfinished Business" mod? Are you able to chat with people who worked on the game without too much trouble?

PS: I know this is extremely off topic and is really dumb, but... I know a guy who could have worked BG2, but he didn't because he had to move to Edmonton (about 3 hours away from where he lives) do get the job.

8. CamDawg

They've actually tracked down a lot of old posts from Bioware developers talking about cut quests. Gaider and a few other des had a couple of old posts over at the attic where they go into detail about the cut quests. They've consolidated these into one thread over at their forum if you want to check it out. They're are also a lot of unused dialogue lines, creatures, etc. still present in BG2 that they're trying to connect. For example, it appears there was a second dream with Ellisme; the dialogue file and area are still in the game.

9. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

This sounds like a really great mod. Many of those arbitrary quests (slaver/twisted rune, The Hidden, etc) didn't really make much sense.

Frankly, I'm surprised that BioWare would do sooo many quests. I mean, the game is already massive as it is and in 2000, it's release, 3 gigs of space was alot!

PS: How long did it take to develope the whole game, I wonder?

10. CamDawg

Well, Icelus has been very diligent about only developing the quests for which they have good information from Bioware. I'm really looking forward to the "Kidnapped Boo" quest for Minsc. They're hoping to have a beta out later this month.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Back to the original topic (and I'm surprised nobody said this yet), you encounter Sarevok in Hell.

12. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Nobody said it cause [snip].

Many of the characters in Buck's original post are from The Darkest Day (in case someone was wondering).

Also, I found it really odd that you meet sooo many people from BG1. I mean, does everyone follow you around? Baldur's gate is a long way from Athkatla. I was also really surprised to see that Edwin was a major player in the Shadow Thieves. You'd think that it would take a little longer to make it to the top.

[ToB spoiler removed. Sarevok is encountered in Hell in SoA.] -Tal

[ October 15, 2003, 20:35: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Where in BG1 do you see Neb? He isn't a joinable NPC, that much I know.

14. CamDawg

When you return to Baldur's Gate after the events at Candlekeep, the Flaming Fist try to arrest you. If you let them, they throw you in prison and Neb helps you escape. Since the FF randomly kill a party member before putting you in prison, most people generally storm the compound instead.

Continuing my :yot:
    Centeol also mentions Irenicus without being charmed, but only in passing. Gaider has confirmed that Icarus was Bioware's original name for Irenicus.

Kachiko is restored by the Tortured Souls mod, although her creature files are in unmodded BG2 (c6kach, c6kach2).

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    They don't necessarily kill a character when you get thrown in prison in BG1 - only if you insult Angelo. If you respond nicely - or offer him money I believe - no one dies. Also, if you happen to have Shar-Teel in the party (who happens to be Angelo's daughter) he simply releases you.

16. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

CamDawg...

Kachiko? I thought it was Tomoko?

Rastor...

Oh yeah. I forgot you meet Sarevok in the SoA hell. (I thought you were talking about the PP in ToB.) Sorry.

17. CamDawg

Sorry, I'm just confusing everyone at this point. :( Tomoko is Sarevok's consort in BG, and (according to an early chat with the Bioware devs) Yoshimo's sister. The whole reason Yoshimo came to the Sword Coast from his home in Kara-Tur was to find her, where he eventually hooked up with Irenicus.

Kachiko is involved with Yoshimo or his quest in some fashion, but got cut by Bioware before the release of BG2. She is in the Tortured Souls mod, but I'm not sure if they based her character on info from Bioware or simply wrote a story and character to tie into Yoshimo. (I still haven't gotten around to playing TS so I have no idea.)

@Aldeth
    I didn't know that... I guess I should've been nicer. ;)

edit: Joluv at the CC also sells Kachiko's Wakizashi, which mentions she's a warrior from Kara-Tur.

[ October 16, 2003, 07:32: Message edited by: CamDawg ]

18. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31

Oh, ok. I havn't played TS either, so I obviously didn't know.

You meet some Icewind dale characters in TDD too, IIRC.

Did anyone hate Shar-Teel's armour in TDD? By chapter 6 it sucked! Also, it gives her an eerie purple glow (especially at night) and it really doesn't become her, being so tough.

19. Fallorain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Xan, the elf with the moonblade is in the tutorial and is in your party for its duration; however thats all we see of him

20. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There is also the cleric Branwen in the tutorial
    the one you have to unpetrify in the Nashkel Circus

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.