1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Fantastic Four

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Shalladeth, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Malovae, I've seen both and trust me: Such filth must not be spoken ;)

As I've already said:

F4 = entertaining

BB = awesome

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I think Enagonios has it right on this one. Batman Begins is one of the best comic book based movies I have seen. While I was pleasantly surprised that Fantastic Four was a decent film, it was no where near as good as Batman Begins.

The action sequences in the Fantastic Four were pretty uninspired and there were some idiocies that should have been edited out (the danger of the Nova flame for one) but it was an entertaining enough way to spend a couple hours.

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Wasn't that actually part of the comics?

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The fight scenes in Batman were nothing but a messy blur, in contast, you can see what was going on in F4, and I cringed when Christian Bale spoke as Batman - his voice is worse than 'Annoyman' from BG2.

It seems like you can have highly successful criminal lawyers under the age of 21 according to the last Batman movie.

| did like Batman, but somehow, I though F4 was a tad more realistic.

A good horror, fantasy, sci fi movie is one that can put such strange things in a realistic situation. Thats why I like Japanese and Korean cinema so much.

5. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

You cannot say that it was better than batman begins, that was one of the best movies Ive seen all year!

...although who am I to talk, Im still waiting for my less than reliable mate to send me a DVD screener...

...maybe I should go to the cinema like everyone else :)

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Spoilers Contained

The Nova flame was in the comics but there was certainly never any "if you use it it will cause the entire planet to burn up" risk. In fact, during/after Inferno he was stuck in Nova mode for a sizable chunk of time.

Given that the Nova is supposed to be that hot according to the film my thoughts are (1) Shouldn't Doom have been reduced to a puddle of slag/ash? and (2) If the Invisible Woman's force fields are powerful enough to contain the Nova flame should she not have been able to completely trounce Doom or her lonesome?

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

true. afaik whe last time torch used it was when he was ambushed after a class in college, 3 to 1 and he used it to drive them off. all that happened was that he set a parto f campus on fire. whoopetty whoop.

realistic in the sense that space storms give powers as opposed to training all over the world in order to learn how to be an effective fighter? ;) :p

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Neither movie is realistic. In Batman Begins a gazillionaire dresses up in fetish bat gear and punches criminals. In F4 a Solar Flare of Doom (TM) "Alters DNA" and gives people invisibility and fire and stretchy powers.

'Nuff said. :p

9. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't understand, BB really wasn't that good. The beginning was excellent and had a really cool dark atmosphere. Christian Bale is the best batman ever! Then we get to the part with the new batmobile exploring rooftops while being chased by an entire police force, which is an awesome scene! After that it just goes downhill. Especially the part with the vapors on the island. I also hated the role of that Dawson's Creek chick, horrible choice!

More on topic stuff: I'm going to see F4 in a few hours, 'cause there is no other good movie that I haven't seen already. My hopes aren't high, I hope that it at least provides some entertainment.

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Jeso, I thought he was a lot younger! Man, it must have been around twelve years since Hornblower came out.

11. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Saw F4. It was horrendous.

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The characters were all very good. The actors succeeded extremely well in my opinion. I was actually surprised by Jessica Alba. It was good to see that the typically trendy "strong and aggressive woman" she'd been in other roles I'd seen before had been a matter of the director's preference more than her own limitation. As Susan Storm she was more of the supporter type, more vulnerable as a person too. Johnny Storm was perfect. Better than in the comics even. And Michael Chiklis... I would not have remembered his name from The Shield alone. I will now. It's hard to explain how a rock can be a good actor, but once you see the movie you'll understand. I don't think there's a better Thing out there. Perhaps the fact that Chiklis himself isn't your usual hollywood Brad Pitt supermodel makes him more humane, which definitely adds to the role.

The only complaint I have on that department is Reed Richards. Though the actor certainly did his role well and his looks matched too, the character was not the leader I was expecting to see. This is more of a directing flaw though. Considering none of the actors were actually superstars (and Alba though known, not really known for her acting), they did as good a job as could possibly have been expected of anyone. They were humans, not some inhuman superheroes. But they had superpowers despite still being just human. :)

Effects were also very nice. Definitely superb according to modern standards. Some guy at IMDB.com had claimed that the suit that was the Thing looked like cheap rubber back from the 70's. That wasn't true at all. Every sound effect from everything to everything was exactly as they should have been when touching that rocky body of his. Including gestures, and the obvious clumsyness. As for looks, there was no bending on the joints, no being pressed under pressure or suchlike. It looked 100% solid save for the fact that he could actually move.

But sadly, that's where the good things end. The plot was mediocre. The scenes with some characters are just ridiculous. Filled with the sense of the director wanting to just get rid of it all as soon as possible, not bothering to make it appear even close to as real and convincing as it should have been. The plot itself is hurried, and just after they've realised their powers and tried getting used to them, an ending battle comes and bam, it's all over. You're left looking at the credits and asking yourself "what the heck just happened"? Basically, some 50% of the content of the movie takes like 85% of the real duration of the movie. And then the last 50% being the action and the outcome etc are all crammed in the last 15%.

The soundtrack being one of the most important things in any game or movie, was also quite disappointing. The best it could do was keep your mind occupied enough not to notice the music. Far too often though, I did notice, and didn't like it in the least. It was the stuff you get in some random average-at-best sci-fi series. Especially right after seeing Batman Begins and the perfect musics it had to offer, this soundtrack was just inexcusably bland.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give this one a 6-7. Good, but nothing spectacular. If the plot had been better and more "balanced" relative to the duration of the movie, if there'd been more action (although the drama that was in this was good and necessary, they should have worked to make both fit in), and if the soundtrack had been much better.. well this could easily have gotten 8-9.

I'm expecting a sequel. The flaws were so apparent that you'd think fixing them would be easy. F4 has tremendous potential, this first movie just seemed a tad bit unfinished.

13. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I think the actors did okay, and i found the story very entertaining, so ... 7 out of 10 from me :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.