1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Faerus Stoneslammer, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You're forgetting something; those who get the death sentence are not normal people, they have broken the most important rule of all; not to take another's life. To me, they don't fall in the group with all other people (or any people at all, for that matter), they are a separate group who deserve the ultimate penalty we can give them - death. They have failed humanity and wiping them off the face of the Earth is the biggest favour we can do to ourselves. I can very easily justify that. It was morally wrong to kill in the first place, and though killing the murderer will not bring back those that they killed, it will at least give the satisfaction to the victim's family because they will know that the murderer got the same justice he/she executed over someone else. If you simply lock them up in a prison somewhere this will benefit no one else but the murderer. If you are 100% sure that there is a higher being that will judge them when they die, that's great, you can forgive and forget. But as I said, the vast majority of people can't.

Giving the argument that in time you could forgive is untrue in most instances. In time you might partly forget and give in to knowing that you cannot do anything about it - but this is NOT forgiving. This is simply prolonging the grief of the family who has already suffered grievously, and giving in to resignation. Would any of them shed a tear if the murderer was executed instead? Very, very few. And they could move on with their lives much more quickly if it was done.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I wrote earlier Tal, simple primitive revenge. Is what you want. Very easy to do so but that doesnt make it right. Quite few of the ones sentenced to death in most nations are really those evil murdering bastards but 'normal' weak people that have had a rough life, wrong buddies and took the wrong descision at the wrong time.

3. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I says that wee shud shock dem ray-pists all the wai too hail. Gad blez de NRA!

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "Normal" weak people do not murder another human being.

Also, the death penalty is not applied to every murderer, there has to be special circumstances. For example, an especially brutal murder, and/or showing no remorse for what they did.

And capital punishment is justice, not murder; the law is there for everyone to see, if you choose to ignore the law, you suffer the consequences of your actions.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just because something is law doesnt make it right in my eyes. All nations have their fair share of strange and/or unjust laws.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    So a law against murder is strange and/or unjust is it? Interesting.

Or are you referring to the penalty for breaking the law? If you want to avoid the penalty, the solution is simple: Don't break the law.

7. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

But I might actually be on your side Blackthorne, if all one had to do to avoid capital punishment was... to be innocent.

One has to be white, and intelligent, and wealthy enough to afford private representation. Oh yes and female. So, here I am, at liberty to annoy you all. Cool for me. But some people find the above requirements kind of hard to swing.

And in America -- being male, Black, stupid, and poor are capital offences.

Deja vu.

And there is no moral difference between causing and knowingly failing to prevent a death, so Taluntain is right there in the vengeance camp, as he confirms is his design. Oy. We just disagree.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    You must be referring to some statistics you've seen to make these statements, but I think Mark Twain summed up how I feel about statistics.

And I'm not entirely sure what you are saying. Are you saying more poor black men than other demographics are arrested for capital crimes, more poor black men than other demographics are convicted of capital crimes, more innocent poor black men than innocent other demographics are arrested for capital crimes, more innocent poor black men than innocent other demographics are convicted of capital crimes, or something else?

And what is the meaning behind such statistics? Is it that poor black men are discriminated against, or is it that they commit more capital crimes? I certainly don't know...

As far as I'm concerned, it's irrelevant for the reasons I stated in my previous posts.

9. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31

Your chances of getting the death penalty have more to do with being poor, male, Black, and stupid that with any objective notion of justice for your crimes -- if you in fact committed them. That is what I am saying. But don't take my word for it.

"A 1990 Government Accounting Office (GAO) report summarizing several capital punishment studies confirmed "a consistent pattern of evidence indicating racial disparities in charging, sentencing and the imposition of the death penalty...." Eightytwo percent of the studies the GAO reviewed revealed that "those who murdered whites were more likely to be sentenced to death than those who murdered blacks." In addition, the GAO uncovered evidence (though less consistent) that a convict's race, as well as the race of the victim, also influences imposition of the death penalty."

"Two of the country's foremost researchers on race and capital punishment, law professor David Baldus and statistician George Woodworth, along with colleagues in Philadelphia, have conducted a careful analysis of race and the death penalty in Philadelphia which reveals that the odds of receiving a death sentence are nearly four times (3.9) higher if the defendant is black. These results were obtained after analyzing and controlling for case differences such as the severity of the crime and the background of the defendant. The data were subjected to various forms of analysis, but the conclusion was clear: blacks were being sentenced to death far in excess of other defendants for similar crimes."

For documentation on the poor, stupid and male claims, see...
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/racerpt.html http://www.rightsforall-usa.org/what/appeals/deathpen.htm http://www.aclu-mass.org/issuebriefs/deathpenalty.html

AND finally...

"When in Gregg v. Georgia [the 1972 decision reversing a previous one in 1967 which had declared capital punishment unconstitutional--MeV] the Supreme Court gave its seal of approval to capital punishment,this endorsement was premised on the promise that capital punishment would be administered with fairness and justice. Instead, the promise has become a cruel and empty mockery. If not remedied, the scandalous state of our present system of capital punishment will cast a pall of shame over our society for years to come. We cannot let it continue."
    -[U.S. Supreme Court] Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1990
    ------------------------------------

No, it's not irrelevant, if your argument still contains anything about justice.

If you have dropped that pretence for a good ole honest stoning and damn-the-facts-as-long-as-it-makes-the-victims-feel-better, then more power to you. We certainly have enough male, Black, poor, and stupid people to feed the god of Vengeance for a long time.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    As I alluded to above, what statistics indicate is a function of the agenda the one performing the studies has.

I become extremely skeptical when I read such things as "...evidence (though less consistent)...", "...analyzing and controlling for case differences..." and "...data were subjected to various forms of analysis..." when I have no idea of what agenda the author is working towards.

Besides, your argument above just leads me to believe that death penalty sentencing needs to be strengthened because too many who deserve it are getting lesser sentences that they don't deserve.

So, yes it is irrelevant to whether I believe the death penalty is warranted or not, because I still believe they are getting what they deserve; it's just that some who deserve it are getting a lucky break.

Your arguments are more for improving the state of the justice system than against the death penalty; they apply to all forms of punishment, not just capital punishment.

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmmm...The DP is always a tough subject. I waffle on it constantly. In general, I believe if you have such low regard for the lives and rights of others, then your life is forfeit when you take the life of someone else. At the same time though, it brings the state down to the level of the murderer...A moral dilemma.

at the same time, I'm not all that crazy about spending my tax money for having some murdering bastard sit in a cell, have cable, 3 squares a day, clothing, and all those other perks! Another point for execution.

But then the appeals process probably costs more than it would cost to keep a prisoner incarcerated. A point for life imprisonment. So then, what's the solution?

Well - I guess I'm leaning toward life imprisonment. But with a twist...Criminals should be caged like veal. Barely enough room to move around, no weightlifting, nothing...Except maybe some kind of beneficial labor that helps society...Who knows, I definitely don't have the answer.

12. Slackertoast Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Always go with the death penalty. After they are found guilty, put them on death row for a couple of years(2-3), kill them, and then put them on ice. I don't know what the cost of keeping a body frozen is but it maybe better than keeping them alive in prison. I have the belief that we will be able to raise the dead before we will be able to go back in time.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Methylviolet, uh, so in your opinion the families of the killed don't have any right at all to justice? Because, seriously, the only real justice for a murderer is death. As I stated before, anything short of that only benefits the murderer and no one else. The whole point of justice is for someone to pay for their crimes. You can qualify life in prison (with all the extra perks) as living in a really bad hotel with really bad people around you. If you call that punishment you have a really perverted view of what a murderer deserves for his crime.

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Murder is defined as "the unlawful or unjustified taking of another human life." Are you suggesting that a soldier in a war who defends his country and risks his own life is a murderer?

I see nothing but justice being done with the death penalty. As was said earlier, an eye for an eye. This dates back to Hammurabi's Code of Laws with the ancient Babylonians. Under this dynasty, crime drastically decreased. Perhaps the reason that the death penalty does little to deter crime in the United States is because of the 10-15 years required for appeals and the easiness of a reduced sentence due to a technicality.

I can think of a few countries that throw you in front of a firing squad for drunk driving. In these countries, nobody does it. Does that show that the death penalty will deter crime if properly implemented? Yes. America fails to implement the death penalty properly, and this is it's failing. If the day after conviction, you were killed, I think that would serve to reduce crime.

Part of me agrees with Taluntain's idea to allow the victim's family to let off the criminal, but they can easily be threatened well before the guilty verdict in the trial.

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Yes, Hammurabi's Code of Laws was a great read. If that was in use today, crime would definitely be reduced to a minimum. Who'd steal when they'd risk having their palm chopped off? Let alone any more serious offences...

16. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] I guess after reading all the opinions on the boards, I also have to think things through. Admittedly I haven't really spent time to think about the death penalty, but I will share some of my thoughts and opinions so far:

I feel that the punishment should fit the crime. With that said, the premise of Capital Punishments is that there are certain acts which justly warrants the taking of a life. Those who do not believe in the death penalty will have to admit that there are NO acts heinous or brutal enough to deserve capital punishment. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Those of you who have stated that the Death Penalty is unjust, should have the conviction to say that if Osama Bin Laden is caught, he does not deserve the Death Penalty for September 11, and the loss of lives and property his act has caused.

For me, the best argument against the death penalty is not the punishment itself. The problem I have is really with how justice is served. Violet and the others made very good points. Yes, it can (and should) be argued that those innocents put to death by mistake is a failure of the system of justice, and that the punishment (whatever it is) has no bearing on it. It can be further argued that the issues raised regarding race, income, education, poverty, etc., are sociologial arguments, not legal ones, and should be reserved for other fora. It is not the death penalty's fault that there is injustice. The death penalty is there merely to allow justice to manifest. The law has neither passion or prejudice.

Problem is we don't live inside a courtroom, and passion and prejudice do exist within and around us. The law is there also to protect the weakest of society's members, and when they are affected, the conscientious argument can and will definitely see the penalty (whatever it is) unjust as long as the implementation remains unjust. Simply, the death penalty is made an unjust thing, not really because it is wrong in itself, but because it may be, can be, will be and has been sentenced on innocents.

Then again, just because we do not live in a courtroom and are subject to subjectivity is no not excuse to detach ourselves from our emotions. Isn't that an aspect of justice too, seeing things with objectivity? So yes, these passionless courtrooms and legal arenas were created to further fairness and equitability.

I figure it is up to the society in question, with its assortment of belief and value systems, to determine whether DP is unjust or not. Short of a straight up election (referendum?) of the people voting "yes" or "no", I can't see how this can be argued any easier...

... and the majority isn't always right, it just means its popular. :)

:hmm: Tough... isn't it?

[This message has been edited by eveningdrive (edited July 11, 2002).]

17. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31

Ah, well, Blackthorne -- you and I just disagree, and this legalistic tit-for-tat we have going would never end, unless I were willing to give you the last word. Which I am.

For the rest of you -- Really there are two issues:
    1. The idealized death penalty, or
    Is death a just punishment for heinous crimes?
    2. The death penalty as practised, or
    Can the state be trusted to exercise the death penalty justly?

For me, the second question trumps the first. For me, loss of innocent life is much worse than non-punishment of the guilty. I had thought that this was a cornerstone of ethical jurisprudence -- and indeed it is, at least on paper, in the United States -- but I see that many of you feel the reverse is true. That the execution of the innocent may be a necessary evil if we are to be sure the guilty are executed.

I reject that utterly. I cannot even consider whether execution of the guilty would be a good thing as long as I know that execution of the innocent is part and parcel of the death penalty as practised in the United States.

"If you call [life imprisonment] punishment you have a really perverted view of what a murderer deserves for his crime."
    "Because, seriously, the only real justice for a murderer is death."
    Maybe I do, Tal. Maybe it is -- what murderers deserve for their crimes I couldn't really say. But I can say that I don't deserve to be both an accomplice and an accessory to the murder of innocents, as I am by paying California taxes. I also don't think *you* deserve to lessen your own humanity, as you invariably do when you consider any human being to be not a human being. Whatever he might do.

All human life has value.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I guess Human life means less to me than to most people. It's a pretty easy thing to make a Human, and there certainly is no shortage of them on this planet that every one of them needs to be protected at any cost. Indeed, many thousands die every day in accidents that are preventable if people cared more about life than convenience, fun and/or excitement.

Do we want to run around willy nilly killing eachother? Of course not; most people make wonderful contributions to their society.

In the case of convicted criminals whose crimes merited the death penalty, I feel they are just a detriment to society and we are better off without them.

And I agree Methylviolet, we simply have a differing viewpoint about the world we live in.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited July 12, 2002).]

19. Turandil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

inhumane and primitive, don't like the idéa, though i do not beleave in pure evil, there is people that is totaly screwed, and killing them is a choice, but somewhat i dont like it.

20. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] I still fail to understand... if it's the suffering of the criminal you all want for such heinous crimes, how could you possibly go for the DP... it's just a quick way out. Let them rot in prison for the rest of thier lives.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.