1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The dawn of the Chimera

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Morgoth, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Scientists around the globe have started to create human-animal hybrids.

Already some hybrid-species are created, a pig with human blood and a human-rabbit species.

When they actually succeed with creating animals with the intellect of humans, what will that mean for us?
    Will that proof the existance or non-existance of free will? The existance of a soul?
    Will these hybrids be the next Untermensch? Do those 'people' get rights at all?
    Seperated toilets, for humans and hybrids, seperate Communities to distinguish the humans from the Chimera 'trash'.
    The next soldier or the next guinea-pig?

Or will they replace us and become the Ubermensch, as in the next step of evolution/revolution?

So many questions are flowing through my heads now, if we as humans create an intelligent conscious species in the lab, that will bring our species to a whole new level, by becoming gods ourselves.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A human-rabbit species? Is Playboy paying for the research? :shake:

To be considered a god you should be able to make something out of nothing. I don't consider this anything more than playing with what's already there by using high-tech tools. I find the whole thing more bizarre than anything else.

3. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It is not natural, it is not right.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    There is a guideline for gods hmm? So thats why God dissapeared, he got jailed. :D

But Sarevok, you know that the Internet isn't natural, so what are you doing here?

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cool! I want myself a dog with wings!

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Finally, I can make myself a cat without any ass. That will surely save 50% of the work with them.

Oh, and why not remove the front part as well, to remove another 50% of the work.

The moral of my lame story is: Don't mess with nature, or nature will mess with you.

I told ya it was lame. ;)

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

The internet is not a living creature.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Have these scientists fully weighed the consequences? What if these creatures are more aggressive than the normal animals?

Sure Impossible Creatures was an interesting game to try, but that's why it was cool--it's only a game...

9. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Killer bees, anyone?

"oh, it'll be fine if we make some africanized honey bees....oh. Whoops. Guess we made a booboo"

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm not sure I get this. If these experiments can aid in medical research and do not create a thinking being, what's the "dignity" issue?

I think the bigger concern here is on the religious front. For those who truly believe, what's the impact on the soul, do animals have souls and, if not, does the hybrid get one or part of one? Is there original sin in a created hybrid?

As a basically non-religious person, I am completely unqualified to answer any of those questions.

Chev ?? The Alley of the Rosary is calling . . .

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Everything man can do to give us more knowledge we should do, at least once, out of curiousity if nothing else. Would be cool if we could bring chimps and dolphins to conscience, a whole race subservient to us! And this time they are truly of a different race and not just superficial pigmentation differences which made the whole thing quite unsavory. Imagine, if we wage devastating wars against each other due to slight differences in how we perceive the world the conflicts we could have with sentient beings of a whole other species!

12. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

As the article says, Chimera's are cross species hybrids which have been around for a long time, the Liger/Tigon and even the common Mule are all examples, obviously feelings run deeper/higher when you're talking about adding a human to the mix and doing it artificially.

Personally, I don't like the idea but I'm not sure I can articulate why. So for the time being I'll go with Saverok. It's not right.

Oh Joacqin, how about a cat with wings?

http://www.messybeast.com/winged-cats.htm
    http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/cabbits3.html

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as I know, animals don't have souls according to the Christian teachings, hence man being able to freely kill them. I'm not sure if the Pope would approve of toying with any of the God's creations like that, however. Heck, I'm not sure I would.

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well a section from Revelations mentions heaven with someting along the lines of 'All the people and God's creatures'. I will try to find the chapter and verse if anyone is interested.

If an animal did not have a soul then its even more wrong to kill them freely as they should enjoy what little life they have got!

To Carcaroth, give the cats bat wings, that would go nicely with the 'cats are evil' thread.

Would any males here want their sperm mixed with animal eggs?

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    "Planet of the Apes" is right around the corner.

I have mixed feelings about this research.

16. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

QUICK! Someone lock and sticky this thread! Tal just inferred obedience to the Pope!

No, animals do not have souls. Although we can't be certain about the ultimate destination of animals, we know that they don't share in ours. We are, however, held accountable for treating them properly and justly.

The problem with animal cloning is that it will inevitable lead to human cloning, which has always been staunchly opposed by the Church.

The 'animals' mentioned in the Revelation of St. John are symbolic for other things, not literal beasts...although if they were, it would be sound evidence of cloning. ;)

17. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

If it mentions humans and creatures of heaven, what are the creatures of heaven?

I think this 'research' is completly pointless. It would be better to concentrate on curing cancers.

18. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I find this kind of experiments very disturbing and a remark like: " Everything man can do to give us more knowledge we should do, at least once, out of curiousity if nothing else" (joacqin) makes it even worse. Did you never hear about Dr. Mengele and his scientific experiments ?

[ January 28, 2005, 16:22: Message edited by: LeFleur ]

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Good thing joacqin isn't a scientist.

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    But wait, isn't part of this Chimera line a merging of Human tissue with animals? They are talking about having mice injected with tissue to create a human brain so that they can kill them and do research on that for such things as Alzheimer's. Does the mouse with human brain tissue have a soul?

How about the pig with human blood?

Where is the line drawn?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.