1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The book that got you into reading.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Defspeal Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The cat in the hat was one of the first books I remember reading :book:

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The first book,that I have read, was a version of Homer's "Iliad" translated in modern greek in the form of novel. Although, the books that got me into reading were the books of Jules Vernes. I don't remember which one of them I've read first but I'm sure that I have read almost the 90% of his books. As far as fantasy is concerned, it wasn't a book that got me into it but the comic "Slaine" which was based upon celtic myths.

3. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. That book is what got me into DND to begin with, and led to me reading so many other Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms titles.

4. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

What got me started on reading for pleasure in general was the old Pick-a-Path and Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, so long a go the I can't even remember the specific ones.

What got me into fantasy was the old Dragonlance Tim/Test/War of The Twins novels. They were great. Actually I recall hearing/reading somewhere back then that Dragonlance novels were top of the range as far as quality and Forgotten Realms were bottom of the range. Mind you, that was an opinion I was kind of given but has since changed.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm a combo of the last 2...Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, and a few Dragonlance novels. I even remember a few of the CYOA books: Space Vampire, the Mystery of Chimney Rock, and a few others. My first Dragonlance book was Dragons of Winter Night. Yeah it was out of sequence, but oh well. Then I moved on to the Meetings sextet, where you got to find out how the companions met. Kinda cool about Tanis, Flint, etc.

Totally off topic shout out...

Quickie! :wave: Good to see ya, man! Long time no see (er, I mean post).

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Mine was The Hobbit. When I was in grade one my mother began to read me a chapter every night but I became so impatient with having to wait to find out what was going to happen next that I eventually started reading it myself. A couple decades and several hundred fantasy novels later and I am still at it.

7. Nazgul Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I will also say the Hobbit. Before that I hated reading. One day I got sick and stayed home from school, and there it sat on my shelf... never touched. So I picked it up and started reading... been reading ever since.

8. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Large tome of Faery Tales by the Brothers Grimm.

It was an old book, much older than me and the stories were not the Disnified versions. Ugly sisters slicing of heels and toes to make the golden slipper fit. The Brothers Grimm wrote (relatively) terrifying stories before television was invented and before children knew of the phrases 'emotional trauma' and 'I'll sue your ass'.

[ December 06, 2003, 01:35: Message edited by: Bluin ]

9. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

ITs not fantasy,but for me it was Jack Londons Call of the Wild.what a great story.

10. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

From the moment I had learned how to read I was into the fantastic genre but I got truly launched when my uncle gave me for my 11th birthday (I admit it's very young) The Fellowship of the Ring. This showed me there existed also fantasy (even though it gave me some nightmares since the world in it was to well described :o ) in the adult literature and I used the list in the back of the book to find other fantasy authors and so I was lost. :p

I must totally agree with joacqin, I really adored Eddings when I was 14-16 but now, after discovering authors like Martin, Williams, Pratchett, Hobb, Weis and Hickmann, I realize that I liked his books so much because I was still new to the genre.

11. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Mine would have to be Emily Rodda - Rowan of Rin

Fantasy book aimed at kids by an Aussie author. Quite a good book.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.