1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The book that got you into reading.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] As the title says, and let's keep it focused on a particular genre, otherwise we'de be having a lot of children books here.

For me it was "The chronicles of Aurian" by maggie furey, I got it from my parents (in dutch) and it perfectly fitted in with the sort of games I was playing (rpg). After that series I moved on to english books because of the poor translations, and the fact that many aren't even translated.

2. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My first venture into fantazy was an old Sword and Sorcery book by Ian Livingstone. I think the tittle would be something like "Isle of the lizard king". I read it in danish when I was about 8. A few months later I stumpled upon a book in the dragonlance Chronicles series. However, as it is puplished in 6 books here, I started at book number 2. That would be the later part of Dragons of Autumn twillight. Been into reading ever since, although I do think dragonlance has turned for the worse.

3. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

"Streams Of Silver" certainly started me off. Salvatores style was perfect for me as it isn't exactly complicated reading ;) . LotR helped me the most to advance my reading though.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy by Patricia McKillip.

I still have the paperbacks on my bookshelf, and they're about 20 years old now; the pages are turning yellow and brittle with age.

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Delving into the cobwebbed corners of my brain, probably The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are many books I read as a kid before I truly got into reading: Tolkien, Loyd Alexander and a bunch of stuff I dont recollect either author or name of the books. What really got me going both in reading and in fantasy for real was David Eddings the Belgariad, my grandma bought me the entire series and I was hooked. I read it straight through and then reread it three times in a row. After that I have been hooked on fantasy with the small sprinkling of sci-fi. No other books need really bother most of the time.

P.S. I loathe Eddings today, I refuse to reread any of the books I loved as a teenager, just my recollection of them show them for the crappy books they are but for a 14 year old kid they were marvelous and I dont want to truly spoil my still fond memories of reading them by judging them with my somewhat adult eye.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    the Hobbit :)

8. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It all started two years before...
    My parents bought me the Lord of the Rings trilogy as a Christmas gift, beacuse I was really excited with the movie (I went to the theaters 5 times :eek: ).
    After that, I read the Hobbit and the Silmarillion and then it was a friend who introduced Salvatore's books to me.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Hobbit was my first fantasy, but it was Homeland that got me going into a fantasy book frenzy.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmm... I would have to say the first third of the first book of Tad Williams' series, the one dealing with the three swords. (Horrid, I can't even recall the name!)

I read it at one go, and after that, I scourged the shelves of the library for fantasy. Thje rest is, as they say, history.

11. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Mine would probably be "Halfmen of O" which no one here would have heard of as it is written by a kiwi!

12. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] @Ara: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Mine was a collection of tales of the greek myths by Robert Graves

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

mine was The Making of a Mage: Elminster . I had been playing baldur's gate when i ran into him and i asked my dad( another big fantasy fan) who he was. My dad went to the bookshelf and tossed me the book and told me to find out. I was hooked immediatley.

14. SaChaele Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The Nine Princes of Amber by Roger Zelazny. It took me a while till I got through the first two chapters. With that book begun a period of my life when I read only fantasy or science fiction. I'm still not sure whether to curse or praise the day I opened it for that.

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    For my love of reading in general, I have to credit Agatha Christie. I forget which book was my first, but I do know that it was a Miss Marple. To this day I prefer her to Hercule Poirot. I clearly remember raiding my mother's collection when I couldn't stand any more Dr. Seuss. ;)

16. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
  17. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nijntje naar Zee (Miffy at the Sea) by Dick Bruna. Boy, that was scary! :lol:

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well the first books that got me reading like a madman were books by Thea Beckman.

- The golden fleece of Thule
    - Crusade in Jeans
    - Hasse Simonsdaughter
    - Triumph of the burned earth
    - Children of Mother Earth
    - The hellish Paradise

and several more. These are just off the top of my head.

Anyway, after these books I read a lot of Tom McClancy, and then The Silmarillion got me into Fantasy.

19. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    For me it was Edgar Rice Burroughs - but I can't remember where I started. It must have been the Tarzan books, or maybe Carson of Venus. Still, it was probably _A Princess of Mars_ . :hmm:

20. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I always loved fairy tales, and I read The Hobbit, the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and Lloyd Alexander's Black Cauldron series (don't know the real name) when I was a kid. But the book that really got me into fantasy was The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.