1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Big Obama Administration Thread

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Death Rabbit, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with DR here. While your statement is certainly true, it is by no means a reaction that is unique to Obama. In fact, it is a common reaction of most people concerning a US president. Reagan was so popular that if he said that the sun rose in the west, a Zogby poll would come out the next day indicating that 60% of Americans thought the sun rose in the west. (I still believe that Reagan is the only president who has been hurt by the Constitutional Amendment limiting a president to two terms. He's the only one since that Amendment passed that like would have won a third term in office. It doesn't get much more worshipful than that.)

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Actually, I can think of a number of local politicians whom that hasn't happened with. They're all small-time, though.

The fact that it has happened to others doesn't make it any less disturbing. It's unhealty for anyone to show that much addoration to anyone who isn't a deity. The issue I have, though, is that I have seen a LOT of it. I didn't see a lot of it under Bush. Some, yes, but not a lot. I saw a good bit under Clinton (a much more charismatic guy), but still not as much as Obama. And actually, I have heard people say Obama was their messiah or the Second Coming, or their deliverer or savior. It's usually middle-aged poor black women, don't ask me why.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I think it was the importance of the last election cycle. Middle-aged white women thought they had their "deliverer" too. And so did some conservative white males who had never seen an attracitve woman holding a big rifle before (or so you woud think).

http://www.popcrunch.com/sarah-palin-picture-gallery/

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It also doesn't make it remarkable, either. The 'Obamessiah' meme is absurd. Of course 80-year-old poor black ladies think he's their savior. They never thought they'd live to see the day when a black man would ascend to the Presidency. 40-year-old gun-toting upper-middle-class suburban white men showed the very same sycophantic devotion to Bush.* What's their excuse?

* ...and if you didn't see that under Bush, frankly, you must have had a bag over your head.

5. KJ Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

A lot of the "Obama is the messiah" viewpoints come from watching the mainstream media fawn over him (particularly MSNBC). If you've watched the Chris Matthews "tingle up my leg" clip, you'll know what I mean. It might've been the same way with Bush, but nowhere near the degree it currently is with Obama.

The Great Snook likes this.
  6. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's hardly the mainstream media. Those guys are almost as liberal as I am, God bless them. The mainstream is really more the plain vanilla news outlets, like CBS, NBC or ABC. MSNBC is the equailvalent of FOX News only from the other side. You are correct that MSNBC does tend to "fawn" over Obama, but not as badly as FOX fawned over GWB and Cheney. I mean, Brit Hume, Fred Barnes, Michelle Malkin and Billo? Of course MSNBC still has four years left to go with Obama....

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Absolutely right - MSNBC is about as mainstream as Fox News. I classify both of those channels as "entertainment news". Both of them are heavily slanted news sources, neither of which can be considered impartial. Both channels parrot out the talking points of one party while generally making fun of the other party. Regardless of your political leanings, you'll likely find one of the channels to be funny and entertaining, and the other you'll find dishonest and aggrevating. (Of course, the classification will be reversed depending on whether your are conservative or liberal.) The point is, not only should neither be considered mainstream media, neither should be considered your primary news source. They are good for a hoot, but little else.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's exactly the problem, though. A frightening number of conservatives consider Fox to be "the news." They actually go to guys like Bill O'Reilly, and Sean Hannity, and Brit Hume...for information. That's really disturbing.

A few months ago I stayed at a family friend's home in my homestate of Utah, and I wanted to watch a little TV before bed. The friend, retired navy, great man, was getting up to leave and asked what I wanted to watch. I said "oh, just a little of the news, I wanna see what happened today," thinking he'd just tell me what channel the local news was on. Instead, he grabbed the remote, turned it to The O'Reilly Factor, and says "There ya go: the news," without a hint of irony. My last trip a few weeks ago (wedding planning), I stayed in 3 different hotels. Every one of them had Fox News set as the default channel on the TVs in every room I stayed in (and locked the menu so you couldn't change it). Given - this is Utah, reddest state in the union. But it just goes to show you how good a job Fox has done at convincing people they're actually providing a public service. Even more shocking still is how few people can tell the difference between actual journalism and shameless propaganda. MSNBC is just as bad as Fox, but that's only a recent development. MSNBC only became that bad to compete with the Fox News model.

About the best anyone can do is avoid all "analysis," and merely stick to the basic headlines and form their own conclusions. Talking heads try to do your thinking for you.

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Personally, I've given up on getting my information from cable news. I either go with network news (which tends to cover issues in more depth and with less bias) or, preferably, the print media. That said, I think a difference or two between MSNBC and Fox needs to be pointed out. Fox has an established history not of biased news coverage, but of outright dishonesty in their news coverage. These are the guys who were willing to give Matt Drudge and Ann Coulter jobs. MSNBC, on the other hand, is biased. I haven't seen any outright dishonesty in their coverage, as has been seen (and proven) with Fox. They even have a few conservative voices. One of them (Republican Joe Scarborough) even has his own show. I still nevertheless agree that MSNBC shouldn't be a go-to news source, but they're no Fox "News". Seriously.

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Why are you lunatics watching television to get your news, anyway?

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Because we ARE lunatics. ;)

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Of course, everyone knows to get their news from reading posts at a CRPG website :D

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  13. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Clearly not everyone, more's the pity.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You mean like a newspaper? I guess there are a few of them still around. There are a punch of good news magazines as well, but seeing as how they are weekly (like Newsweek and Time for example), they would prove to be inadequate as an every day news source.

Still, that is really shocking that you like to read newspapers given your age Drew. I didn't think anyone under 45 still read newspapers. (I will buy a paper when I have to travel by plane though - something to read while you travel.)

I actually watch the news to unwind at night. I turn on the 11:00 local news, catch the weather, and then usually head up to bed. I don't think that makes me a "lunatic" though - that or millions of others like me are lunatics too. I would imagine that the news you get from the internet has pretty much the exact same advantages and disadvantages as the TV. Both can be biased, and both provide nearly instantaneous updates (assuming you are watching a news channel like CNN - the Discovery Channel certainly doesn't give you instant updates).

15. KJ Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

16. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    You would be entirely incorrect. The TV thinks I'm a goddamn idiot. Every time my roommate has CNN on, my intelligence is insulted. Today's example:

"Obama's objectives in Iraq Visit:
    1) Thank the troops
    2) (don't recall)
    3) Commander in Chief"

note that #3 is verbatim, and precisely how it was displayed on the screen.

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's why I watch TV News - for its entertainment value.

---------- Added 0 hours, 7 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

You made me think of this Dylan classic:

Bobby recorded that in 1965 for "Bringin' it All Back Home." It's good to know that some things never change, even forty-five years later.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I was very disappointed in this. I did not like it under Bush, and I still don't like it under Obama.

What is the general consensus about Obama's first trip across the pond?

I would give him an "A" in terms of positive PR, but a "C" for just about everything else. He got some help from the G20 summit regarding the economy, but substantially less than he was originally seeking. Similarly, he got some additional help for the war in Afghanistan, but again, a lot less than what he was hoping for. I cannot call it a failure, as he did get some of what he wanted on both points, but it is a far cry from a resounding success.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

CNN is showing that the guy who played "Kumar" in the "Harold & Kumar" movies , also Taj in the Van Wilder movies, is joiing Obama's administration. Scary! We need brains, not actors right now...

20. Death Rabbit

Media:
    True, but it's not like he's heading a department or anything. He's basically a goodwill ambassador to the entertainment industry and won't have much of a hand in shaping policy. Every administration does this in one form or another. Nothing to get in a twist over.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.