1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Big Obama Administration Thread

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Death Rabbit, Mar 2, 2009.

1. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, Vivek Kundra has quietly be reinstated, & they have told us his theft charge in '97 was just a "youthful indiscrection".
    Hmmm, does shoplifting 4 shirts from J.C. Penney when you are 22 count as a youthful indiscrection?
    Don't you like have to be a youth?
    Everyone i know thinks that at 22 you are an adult. (shrugs) Must just be our over-developed since of personal-responsibility.
    Now i'm not(in any way) saying that he is unfit for his job because of this, just fess up like a man & don't try to blame it on anything else.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Wow - he's younger than me if he was only 22 in 1997!

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The Special Olympics comment is funny, I don't care about political correctness. The people who are looking to get bent out of shape by an offhand remark like that need to get a life. What gets me is that if Bush had said something like this, people would be accusing him of being pro-euthanasia for the "differently abled"* and comparing him to Hitler. No such comparisons are being made for Obama.

I'm just pointing out that the Bush Bashing got a little ridiculous at times -- and most of you know I'm not a Bush fan anymore. I hope that the Obama bashing doesn't get to be so ridiculous, but if it does, those who did the same thing to Bush should search their souls before crying foul.

*looks like maybe I do care a little bit about political correctness after all -- or has this phrase now been put on "the list" of things people can't say anymore?

The Great Snook likes this.
  4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You know something, you're right. When two 40-something men engage in the kind of lame, petty partisan sniping and rumor-mongering I would expect from a bored teenager, I should realize it's their right and just let it roll off my back. You two really have no shame or sense of perspective, and you aren't going to change no matter how foolish you make yourselves look. If I can't accept that, that's my problem - so I'll just accept it and not let it bother me anymore. *Cue the after-school special music*

Thanks. Glad we got that cleared up.

martaug likes this.
  5. martaug Gems: 23/31

No LKD, this is PC gone wrong, http://ace.mu.nu/archives/284583.php
    OK, d@mnit, a "man-caused" disaster can be a lot of things(a misbuilt bridge that collapses, a shoddily constructed building that falls, a wreck that closes a major interstate or tunnel, a train derailment, etc) but that is not what terrorism is.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Special Olympics comment is funny in a way, but self-deprecating or not, it's also pretty non-PC, and he should have know better.

martaug likes this.
  7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...that's been the boards for as long as I've been here. It doesn't seem to matter who's in power; there will always be those quick to criticize, those who will blindly rush to the defense (for no apparant reason), and those who sit back and scratch their heads.

I've been guilty of all three.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
    The Great Snook and martaug like this.
  8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is actually a serious question - I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Are you suggesting that "terrorism" is now considered a politically incorrect word? When did that happen?

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think that Napolitano guy seems to be on to something, dont know about the word "man-caused disaster" but a conscious effort to move away from the fear mongering that so dominated the last administration is to be lauded in my opinion.

10. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, but isn't funny how so many conservatives are suddenly PC? :)

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh, I don't think any of us have turned PC, we just believe that was is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I didnt' get a chance to watch the evening national news programs. Was this on it? I know it would have been if it had Bush. They would have had Special Olympic representatives lined up to demand an apology. It would have been a feeding frenzy. Please somebody tell me they were covering this?

LKD likes this.
  12. martaug Gems: 23/31

When Janet napolitano was appointed Secretary of Homeland Security by obama. She has decided that by the use of her new phrase that it will be easier to just blend in the terrorist attacks with the other man-made disasters.
    We can't be blaming our friends the islamics for their actions, now can we?

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, you either believe that PCism is idiotic or you feel that it's what we need to achieve a change in how people perceive stereotypes. The only ones that I see as worthwhile are those about race. The rest are idiotic, IMO. If it is "good for the goose as well as the gander" then it will only mean that PCism will continue its relenteless march towards making all of us misunderstood as individuals who make the slightest hint of attacking the rest of the human race with an off-handed comment. It will become a weapon upon which both sides will latch onto to advance an agenda. Is that what you wish? Like the Republican idiot who sent his friends copies of a CD with "Obama the Magic Negro" on it? If that's the case then expect PCism will be here to stay. So enjoy it. Personally, I don't care much for most of PC scene. But I can understand how some comments can be hurtful to blacks because of the racial history of the US.

14. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Ok, yes I realize these people are human, and yes I realize that no human is perfect, but this is far from perfect. Evidence of professional misconduct and rules of ethics violations, in my opinion, put you square on the "Do Not Hire" list for positions of authority.

To put this in perspective, I don't know ANYONE with issues equivalent to this in their past, and I have known 7 professional engineers who either worked as military contractors or as regulators with the government, one geologist who started life in the Texico oil fields and is now working for the government on response and recovery to oil spills, and two professional psychologists. Hardly a sizable portion of the national community in those fields, but proof that such people do exist. I'm sure they also exist in other fields as well.

As to the gaffes, their entertaining and fair game for making fun of someone, but I don't see them as legitimate political criticism.

15. martaug Gems: 23/31

Remember the scandal when it was announced that tom daschle had claimed a household exemption for his $1.9million dollar DC home will representing south dakota in the senate?
    Well, 2 democrtas have done the same thing with nary a whisper from the lame-stream media.

California congressman Pete Stark(who also is a senior member of the house's tax-writing Ways & Means committee) said he was unaware that he wasn't eligible.

Thats funny as to qualify, the property has to be your principal residence, you must live there at least six months of the year, use the address for your voter registration and driver's license purposes, and file Maryland income taxes.
    Stark is registered to vote at his wife's parents' address in San Lorenzo and has a California driver's license.
    How the heck did he think he could claim it as his homestead when it isn't in his home state?

Elliot Engel was busted just a week or so ago for the same thing, Engel(a lifelong bronx resident) tried to claim that his ~$1 million dollar maryland house for the exemption. Again he has a new york DL, is registered to vote in NY & files taxes in NY.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090321/wl_asia_afp/nkoreausmilitarymedia
    Apparently the DPRK(you know, the democratic peoples republic of korea, they & obama have the same definition of democracy apparently:)) is holding 2 female american journalist that illegally entered their country on the 17th of march.
    I'm gonna wait & see how the new administration deals with this situation before making any judgements.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Oh, that's nothing. That's at least semi-legitimate (they broke Korean law in Korean lands). Have you heard what China is doing to our naval vessels in the China Sea? I know it made the major national news shows at least once (about a week after it was reported by Fox).

17. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Yes, it's been all over the news here, on MSNBC and CNN. They even showed some footage. It made me think of what Joe Biden said about someone trying to start some crap with us because we have a new prez. I remember the Chinese pulled something similar when GWB was first elected with one of our planes.

This thread has become so convoluted that it's just plain silly now.

18. martaug Gems: 23/31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt5dY3vVoZ0
    This is friggin' hilarious!
    He gets lost after 1 sentence & can't figure what else to say!
    These puppies just keep on coming. He's trying his darndest to replace bush for most screw-ups, and i most say, he's off to a good start.:)

OK, Hell has officially frozen over.
    Paul Krugman(the ultra-liberal new york times columnist) has criticized the obama administration!!
    However, he did it in his blog at the NY times website, so fewer people will see it than if the times had printed it.
    http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/20...er plan has now been leaked in detail.&st=cse
    The Geithner plan has now been leaked in detail. It’s exactly the plan that was widely analyzed — and found wanting — a couple of weeks ago. The zombie ideas have won.

The Obama administration is now completely wedded to the idea that there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with the financial system — that what we’re facing is the equivalent of a run on an essentially sound bank. As Tim Duy put it, there are no bad assets, only misunderstood assets. And if we get investors to understand that toxic waste is really, truly worth much more than anyone is willing to pay for it, all our problems will be solved.

To this end the plan proposes to create funds in which private investors put in a small amount of their own money, and in return get large, non-recourse loans from the taxpayer, with which to buy bad — I mean misunderstood — assets. This is supposed to lead to fair prices because the funds will engage in competitive bidding.

But it’s immediately obvious, if you think about it, that these funds will have skewed incentives. In effect, Treasury will be creating — deliberately! — the functional equivalent of Texas S&Ls in the 1980s: financial operations with very little capital but lots of government-guaranteed liabilities. For the private investors, this is an open invitation to play heads I win, tails the taxpayers lose. So sure, these investors will be ready to pay high prices for toxic waste. After all, the stuff might be worth something; and if it isn’t, that’s someone else’s problem.

Or to put it another way, Treasury has decided that what we have is nothing but a confidence problem, which it proposes to cure by creating massive moral hazard.

This plan will produce big gains for banks that didn’t actually need any help; it will, however, do little to reassure the public about banks that are seriously undercapitalized. And I fear that when the plan fails, as it almost surely will, the administration will have shot its bolt: it won’t be able to come back to Congress for a plan that might actually work.

What an awful mess.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I'll have to take your word for it, since I did not bother to look at your link. What is the link about? Also, what can you tell me about Paul Krugman? Since he is an "ultra-liberal" he must have some good sense. :)

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is a youtube clip of Obama trying to speak when his teleprompter went on the fritz.

---------- Added 4 hours, 2 minutes and 17 seconds later... ----------

I was thinking about this on my way to work today. If Obama isn't the "brilliant man" that we were led to believe he was, then who is the man calling the shots. When Bush was in office everyone assumed that either Cheney or the "evil lord" Rove was really calling the shots. Does anyone know who conservatives should be using as our unelected bogeyman?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.