1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The big 'did you know' thread!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Apeman, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got this email too. You can copy/paste with the best of them, Rastor! :p

2. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

did you know that Bengiman Franklin wanted the National Seal of the USA to be a Turkey.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  3. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Did you know that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are REAL, they just retired before you were born?
    (sorry, it's Friday)

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Death Rabbit,
    Darn! I hoped that nobody else would have gotten that!

Oh well, it still fits in pretty well, doesn't it?

Arahar
    Franklin also wanted German to be the official language of the US.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    ... did you know that Alexander the Great was embalmed in honey?

6. Hacken Slash

Did you know?...
    Speaking of Alexander the Great, once he needed a bridge to cross a river, so he tore down a village that he had just conquered, threw it into the river, and had his army cross on the debris.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Did you know that Deathmage's avatar looks like a poop-golem?

(no offense Deathmage - we love ya) :shake:

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    DR; you don't want to know what I want to say about your title. Trust me.

Did you know that it's way hard to learn how to flame the sugar you stick in absinthe properly with only a scene from a movie as a guide?

Also, yes, there are places on earth where absinthe is not banned :p

9. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ahh, Absinthe, I have met few else who admired the drink as I did, and not being in Europe, it is difficult to obtain to say the least ;)

May I suggest you use some stretched paperclips to balance the sugar cube on, as it begins to melt it will fall in and set the rest on fire.

Also, if Absinthe is easy for you to procure, another scene from the movie I beleive you are reffering to used Laudanum. Though perhaps I should not suggest this.....

Hmmm, must say on topic... Did you know the word testimony is derived from the roman practice of men placing their hands on their testicles while taking an oath?

Edit: Hehe, I just found this out, St. Nicholas is the patron saint of thieves, virgins, and communist Russia.

AND, in the 1970's, Rhode Island (in the US) considered a tax of $2 on every act of sexual intercourse in the state.

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Tnaks for the ttip! We're still not sure how the thing is done properly, but it has workked okay... I think we'kk try the clips.

And no, it's not "friom Hell" which we got the "directions", it's xXx... the one with Vin Diesel and Marton Csokas. :D

Marton Csokas is, despite the name and the delicious accent he has in xXx, a Kiwi. Also, he looks even better in xXx as he did in LotR... he WAS a bit zombified as Celeborn...

11. Hacken Slash

So...umm...when exactly did we stop holding our testicles when speaking?

12. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

Did you know that black holes EMIT energy?

13. Manus Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Stop, Hacken Slash? Whatever do you mean? :D

14. Hacken Slash

Did you know that as Julius Caesar lay dieing from multiple stab wounds on the Senate floor, he held crumpled in his hand an unread note warning him to beware a conspiracy against him in the Senate.

15. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

here's a cool one,

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

:D

16. notforyou Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

so why the h**l are people using all those f*****g *** all the time?

17. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Did you know that Albert Einstein was a failure at school ? Bad grades and even fell through final exams. And while studying phiysics, grades didn't improve really.

18. Manus Gems: 13/31

He couldn't even tie his shoelaces. Apparently the guy was dyslexic and also suffered from Attention Deficit Disorder, sort of like an autistic savant I guess. These sort of things are more common than you would think.

Edit: I just remembered; Isaac Newton also failed school.

19. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

nior that is extremely entertaining and I must admit that it seems correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Admiral Rickover, the father of the American nuclear navy, had to serve on subs because he got seasick on surface ships.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.