1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The best gear for a mage

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TIN_MAN, May 25, 2001.

1. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] My sorcerer has the following items:

robe of the good archmagi
    ring of Gaxx
    ring of the Ram
    cloak of mirroring
    staff of the magi
    scroll case

I think it is the best equipment a mage can ever get in BG2.

Any other opinions or suggestions? :confused:

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited May 25, 2001).]

2. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Can't remember all the details but some things to consider;

- Don't the bracers of defence 3 give a better armour class that the Robe - so you can trade better ac against better saving throws
    - Isn't there an amulet that reduces your casting time and provides some other useful benefits.
    - you can also carry a second weapon I liked the +3 dagger that returns after throwing or (probably the best) the +5 sling that needs no ammunition (though this might only be in the collectors bonus stuff)
    - wands of fire, monster summoning and fear.
    - Minsc to watch your back :)

3. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Braces of AC3 and the Robe of Vecna. And a ring of Wizardy should be better than the ring of Ram. 20 dmg isn't that much, but a couple of more spells is worth it.

4. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Ring of the Ram does the 5d6 damage to everything, I said everything! It gets through every mage protection, besides it pushes the target many meters back, so it is a great item.

That's right, I have forgotten the amulet of power, so I will add it to the repertoire.

AC 5 or AC 3? That is of no importance. If you are a mage and fights many high level enemies you will be hit anyway.

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited May 25, 2001).]

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I use returning dagger +3, the sling that adds strenght bonus to dmg. and Staff of Magi. That should cover range and melee. Then I use no more space on weaponry.

Robe of Vecna (bonus Merchant only)
    Bracers of Ac3
    King Stroms helmet III (helps against crit. Hits)
    Cloak of mirroring.
    Ring of Gax and ring of Wizardry
    boots of speed
    belt of frost giant strenght (addition to the sling)

Then I carry 2xscrollcase 1xgem bag and bag of holding The rest is Lots of potions.

Personally I don't Like this pure mage thing. I would prefer a Dual class Fighter-Mage any day. Just being able to wear a magnificent range of shields and helmets. Not to mention a wider weapon selection. Much more HP and much better THACH0 and numbers of attacks when one makes his Mage to a battlestation. This does only cost 250.00 xp.

6. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

just wondering.. how does a mage get the ring of gaxx... unless ur not going solo that is

7. Shrike00 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I definately think the Robe of Vecna is better than the Robe of the Archmage.

The Staff of Magi of course is given.

I like the idea of boots of speed and the Belt for strength.

Also I think the Cloak of Mirroring is an unbalanced item. It is too powerful. I would use the cloak of Non-Detection instead.

8. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I would use both and switch them around for diff. situations. I dont view anything they give you as cheating. That would be like saying, well i did pay 15,000 for the amulet of power, but that it gives you, negative plane protection is just cheatin caus there are vampires and such that wouldnt be able to hurt me. Bahhhh. Why not just say that using weapons and armor and spells is cheating, cause they might keep people who want to hurt you from killing you. Bahhhh. Mindless jabber.

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

Robe of Vecna
    Bracers of Ac3
    Cloak of mirroring.
    Ring of Gaxx
    Ring of Wizardry
    Boots of speed
    Belt/girdle of inerthal barrier (cant quite remember the name
    Staff of Magi

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

When you play solo another good combo is:

- Girdle of Frost Giant Strength
    - Sling of Seeking (strength bonus)

And maybe it's better to change a ring of ram for a ring of Wizardry.

11. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Use Ioun Stones, especially the one that gives +1 AC and +10% of your basic Hitpoints...
    BTW, Headbanger, why is it I'm having all my posts after yours?
    (Maybe because you're one of those guys that live in the same country as me, just finished diner, etc etc... ;))

[This message has been edited by Da Punisher (edited May 25, 2001).]

12. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

pure mages can't use the pale something stone, unfortunately that is

13. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31

Balderdash has a patch that lets your mage use ioun stones. Since they were invented by a mage to be used by mages I consider this a bug patch not a cheat.

14. Daevaeron Dererath Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

u no, if u have a party with a thief, if u pick pocket Gaxx just after he appears (and before he turns hostile), u get a ring off gaxx, then when u kill him u get another ring of gaxx, oh and a lone mage, should cast immunity to abjuration magic, then summon mordekiens sword a lot or what ever and use the staff of the magi, after he transforms, before that after pick pocketing, cast abidalzims horrid writing and incendary cloud many times, they both mount the damage up quickly, and stop his spell casting, as a matter of interest i can get an amourclass of -4 on my mage (main character) without the use of spells

15. shadow_thief Guest

robe of venca
    bracers of AC3
    ring of gaxx
    ring of wizardry
    belt of internal barrier
    boots of speed(i like my chars fast)
    amulet of power
    cloak of mirroring
    staff of the magi
    asp's nest darts (in desperation)
    :D thats my best i can do :D

[This message has been edited by shadow_thief (edited May 26, 2001).]

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I think we basicly agree on this. I really thought that it was unnessecary for me to post my thread as I found the topic more and less covered. But even after my post several more has joined in. Especially me and Headbanger agree quite a lot :D

As to answer Lord Praetor Munir. Use a lot of summoned creatures to make him wate his spells on. and/or buy a scroll of protection Vs. Magic. Use Mordenkainens sword to hit him in his demilich form. I have tried it out after I was thought a lesson on another post about how efficient a battlemage is, but mine was a F/M/T not sure if it is as easy with a pure mage going solo, but why not?

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Ioun Stones don't fit a pure mage. I have a mage and the only helmet he can wera is the mask of King Strohm III ?

Punisher ----> Hurry post before someone else does... btw I'm from The Netherlands.

18. Vicsun Gems: 9/31

No, that's not the only helmet. They can also wear the helmet of a Dwarf Patrol Captain, in the underdark (you get a quest to kill him if i remember correctly).

edit> Muahaha, Punisher you couldn't post b4 me!

[This message has been edited by Vicsun (edited May 26, 2001).]

19. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

AARRRGGHH, sorry Headbanger, just too late....!!!!!! ;)

I thought Mages could use Ioun stones, but that was because Aerie could use it, but she is a cleric too!

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Índeed, a pure mage can't wear the stones, but a cleric/mage can... The Patrol-helmet is necessary for a quest when you play the good path so the Mask is the only helmet that you can use, and the Mask gives only protectio from critial hits.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.