1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The best fighter class

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sirdan, May 13, 2002.

1. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] i have finished the game once with a mage and I want to play it with a fighter to. Any suggestions about class, kit, race and proficiencies?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I recommend a halfling cavalier, wielding Namarra, Flametongue and the Flail of the Ages in single weapon style. Unbetable.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 13, 2002).]

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Of course for that to work you have to cheat your way through shadowkeeper... :p

I recommend Barbarians. Dwarven or Orcish. Proficiencies in Scimitars and Longswords/Bastard Swords, Dualwield. Get Belm for an extra attack per round. There are lots of good Long and Bastard swords out there, so choose your pick. Personally I like Foebane a lot. Very handy when venturing through the Watcher's Keep Maze with all those demons :)

The bad thing about Barbarians is they can wear no heavier than chainmail, though they do get BarbarianRage, which gives a good temporary boost to your stats. (Great in combo with Draw upon Holy Might i think ;))

You could decide to dualwield Warhammers, in which case you'd want to end up with CromFaeyr and the upgraded Runehammer +5. Very powerfull, if that's what you want.

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

A dwarven barbarian dual-wielding scimtars? Read too many Drizzt books has he? :p

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Heh, okay so it's not perfectly roleplay-balanced :) I did mention warhammers in the end, did I not? :p

And how is a dwarven Barbarian wielding Scimitars worse than a Kensai dualwielding CelestialFury and CromFaeyr? :rolleyes: :)

6. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

If its specifically fighters you're after then I'd go for a berserker; nearly no disadvantages, unless you're really dead-set on archery (personally, I'd just take Mazzy along :love: ) and a special ability that remains useful right 'til the end of the game. Mine used various combos of bastard swords, axes and warhammers dual wielded or (earlier on) with a shield. He was suitably awe-inspiring in melee without being ridiculously powerful and invincible; one of the best characters Ive played in BG2.

If you mean general warrior type characters, then I'd recommend a cavalier, stalker or MC Fighter-Mage.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited May 14, 2002).]

7. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A Swashbuckler/Fighter.

With Those HLA's like Whirlwind, combined with such as Greater Evasion...:evil:

8. [​IMG] Sirdan

I suggest a human cavalier with the carmsyr+6,the flail of ages+5,and pommel the equilaizer(summon it)

9. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

And what should he do with the Pommel?

Place it in right angle so the sun rays blind the opponents perhaps? :p

Now to the topic. IIRC he asks for fighters, not for pallies. If he takes pallie he won't get fighters' stronghold. Or I'm wrong?
    I don't support any specific fighter type above others. They are all good and I may only suggest Beserker. Why? Because noone dares to play with that class.

10. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Barbarian, Dwarf, Half-Orc or Elf (for that dexterity bonus). Or an Elven Kensai for fun :grin:

[This message has been edited by Faerus Stoneslammer (edited May 26, 2002).]

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For a Barbarian, be sure to get the Crimson Chain from Mr.Barterman.

A normal fighter with Grand Mastery in Scimitars (dualwielded) and some magical Items works fine for defeating mages, better then a wizard slayer, AFAIK. :grin:

Sorry, this has nothing to do with the scimitars, I just like the looks of these swords... there may be other weapons more effective against mages.

[This message has been edited by Master of Nuhn (edited May 27, 2002).]

12. Okay then mister Extremist.Switch pommel with the crom Frayer.Oh!Who gives about the stupid fighter stronghold.I Like the mages and pallies more.

Paladin's RULE,they are the BEST.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

*SIGH*
    Padine...

Extremist is a mod, even I woudlnt dare mister him!
    And that's the Crom Faeyr :p
    Why not summon the Killsword +10 while you're at the Equializer and Crom Faeyr!

And I would (yet again) suggest reading the Forum Rules, the amount of exclamation marks used in your posts are plain disturbing.

Then again you have rights to express your views, but try using Bold, Italic or Underline to emphasize a point rather than exclamation marks and capital letters.

--------------

In regards to the topic, Try a Elven or Halfling Kensai (with 19 Dex), or go with a Human if you want to Dual-Class to a thief or a mage.

And why not the monk? The monk is one of the most interesting classes available to a Fighter-Interested player. Try it and see!

Especially in ToB where they become powerful indeed! :evil:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  14. *Gopher*
    I dont really care if his a mod *OK*
    The pommel is a good sword.OH!!!I meant the whole pommel.Not just the jewel.

[This message has been edited by Padine the Paladin (edited May 31, 2002).]

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Listen pal, you're getting me very very nervous.
    I don't care about your brother nor any other boards out there and especially not for abusive mods.

Read the FAQ here: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html
    Inside are forum rules you'll stick up to like everyone does, or your posting privileges will die in horrible death. Don't miss the specific rule against flames and especially personal flames.
    You can express ideas, sure, this forums are for fun. But not the kind of fun that is fun only for you but annoys other members. OK?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  16. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Padine, listen up. What Extremist meant with And what should he do with the Pommel? is that the Pommel isn't a sword. It's a part of one, namely the Equalizer. You can't use just the pommel.

What Extremist said is no cause for Mistering him. He isn't abusing his rights, since I haven't seen any of your posts edited to oblivion by him, you've not gotten the idiot of the week bumpersticker (well not yet anyway), you haven't been banned, nothing. It's merely been said (and quite a number of times) that you should read the rules, and live by them on this board.

17. Kull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In the fighter-type classes (single class), the barbarian is the most powerful. In fact, only fighter-mages, mages, and sorcerers can challenge him, in my opinion. The half-orc should be your choice, if you use super-hero stats. Otherwise, choose a dwarf. A Kensai 12/Mage is hard to beat. Or in TOB only, Kensai 16/Mage. If you want strictly a fighter or kit. I would use a berserker for the primary character.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Stick to the topic people, Extremist or any other moderator can handle the moderating, there is no need to keep polluting the topic with this.

Heh. Looks like Kull took my direction before I could give it. :)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 28, 2002).]

19. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I prefer the simple streight fighter as I never use the Rage ability of the Baserker or barbarian. As for others Any one will do but find one that fits your style.

20. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I would have to recommend the wizard slayer myself.

So what if he can't magical items other than weapons and armor? That's all he needs. Give him grandmastery in long bow and put him under a greater whirlwind and in one round the best spellcasters in the game are rendered helpless. Couple that with mastery in two handed sword for melee.

Kensais are nice, and deadly so long as you can keep them from being targeted, however if they are targeted they take damage very quickly.

Personally I wouldn't recommend any of the fighter kits over the other classes. However that's the best IMO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.