1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Beginning of Science Fact

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Biffle Chump, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    It looks cool, but you'd be a ripe target sitting in one of those things...

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Although not the right legs, Flea football anyone?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Sweeet. I want one!

5. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

@SirBelisarius: Actually, if it was heavily armored, it would have a huge advantage being up high.

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

That is cool. Star Wars-ish technology, today. :D

7. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Actually, walking transportation is great for mobility over a larger amount of terrain types than other ones, except flying. But the one issue I have with bipedal walkers is stability. I think they should make a six-legged variant.

Actually, Sir Bel, this would be great for fighting infantry. They are actually lower, meaning they shoot against the armored underside of the vehicle.

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

there must be a reason why japanese are the only ones who always came out with new robotic inventions.

9. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

They already have machines to do all there other work, so they have time to make new things?

10. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

[grove generalisation] Because Japanese are very productive working machines without social life themselves. The best way to make a robot is to be a robot. [/grove generalisation]

Actually, you have touched a serious point. Japanese tend to "think out of the box" while we westerners are more into classical thinking along established patterns.

Both have their advantages. The out of the box one has the advantage of coming with original ideas you wouldn't get otherwise except by accident. The established patterns have the advantage of the reliability associated with solving problems always with the same methodology.

11. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

its not a true bipedal tank, i watched the video of it and it looks like its still on wheels. The problem as Meatdog mentions is stability. Humans compensate with that little thing called balance and if this new robot fell over it would have no chance of getting up by itself. It needs more development but it looks like a good first step to making a new death dealing machine.... just what the world needs :roll:

12. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

It only uses wheels for turning. For movement, it actually takes steps.

13. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

hmmm i didnt see that...

14. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

Well, at your remark, I checked up on a couple of other forums, and you are correct; it is on wheels. Think of it as a rollerskating mech. My apologies for jumping the gun.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, in BattleTech or MechWarrior/Commander, the pilots of the 'mechs wore neural helmets which helped give their 'mechs balance. For non-bipedals, try the Tarantula and Scorpian.

There's been several discussions about a 'real' 'mech, but the physics sort of shoot it down. The smallest 'mech, the common 20T Flea, would leave gigantic potholes in the ground when it walked on concrete and on soil, it would just get mired.

True 'mechs are still fantasy, but what else do the boys have to dream about? :D

16. Biffle Chump Gems: 5/31

The hot warrior chicks that are posing on said machines?

Finally! I was just waiting for a Battletech fan to appear!

You know, I still think that light 'mechs are a possibility in city fighting. I mean, a 'mech that does way 20 tons is no heavier than some tanks we have out now. Granted, with less of a surface area to spread the weight out on to, it will sink deeper. But, the possibility for it is still there. And, considering that the U.S. spends billions of dollars on aircraft that can't fly in the rain, research might begin soon/

17. Hugo Gems: 15/31

That has to be the coolest thing I've seen in quite a while, and nevermind it's potential usefulness - people will flee in terror when they see one of those. Let alone a three-dozen batallion!

Yeh. Cewl. Heheh.

:borg:

18. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

@Biffle Chump - so that makes it a 'Heavy Gear'! :D
    (check out Dream Pod 9's mecha/rpg)

I'd argue that this incarnation of 'walking' wouldn't be any good on rough terrain - it's not lifting it's feet at all, and a sidewalk pavement would cause problems. :( They've got much work ahead of them, but it's a start...

That was the rationale for FASA's BattleMech - increased mobility in rough terrain by virtue of the legs. again stability would make one more eager for quadrapedal mecha.

It's interesting, and even though I practically live and breathe mecha (I've followed news stories about electro-responsive polymers that mimic 'muscle' - much like BattleTech's 'myomers' for their 'Mechs) I realise that giant walking robots are strictly fantasy - a fun fantasy, tho. :D

IMO, something akin to the 'power lifter' from Aliens would be a more plausible advancement; a flexible, bipedal forklift, if you will.

Take time, and eventually someone would weld armor plates and mount a machine gun, and voila! There's your 'Mech :)

Again this'd be more akin to DP9's Gears, or BT's Elemental Armor, but hey - I'll take what I can get! :cool:

Oh, and that walker IS a sitting duck for any fire, unless it's in an urban environment with taller objects (buildings) to provide cover. Its advantage is a nice shooting platform with good visibility, but that what it sees, can also see (and shoot) it. :(

That's the advantage of infantry, and why we'll never totally phase out the pongoes - a soldier can hide in a six-inch-deep gulley. :cool:

But thanks; it's cool to see! :)

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I thought Clan Smoke Jaguar was exterminated. :lol:

Anyways, the build of the tank is why you can have a 60T M1 Abrams rolling around and not walking. It's not just whether the 'mech will sink into the terrain. The bit about getting the pilot's brain hooked into the controls is the main. A 'mech relies on balance and control from its pilot (ie: the brain) and I don't know if the neural helmet or similar is out there in science land. Oh, yes, and let's not forget about the atomic reactor that powers a 'mech. :nuts:

Meh, humanity isn't ready/prepared for 'giant killer robots' now and probably won't be by 3025.

20. Meatdog Gems: 15/31

Again, for non-neural robots, I point to SIX-legged versions. Research for smaller autonomous robots has proved that to be the optimal amount. Not four as some seem to think.

Regarding weight, there are some very lightweight mechanical "muscles" being researched at the university I'm studying, which might solve alot of weight issues (provided you could fit a lightweight air compressor onboard).

Another point: neural interfaces are totally unneeded for balance. What is needed is a good giro system onboard, although that does add weight and takes up space. Another possibility for two-peds is automation. Nothing better for balance that to let the robot automatically stay upright. This is actually how mechs feasably could be made, most motions would be automated. I never considered a mech where you have full control over the members like with a human body feasible. But if you encode the movements, then the mech can execute it, just like a walking robot. You just tell it where to go, it takes care of the exact motions the legs need to make.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.