1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The bad of NWN2

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by catbert, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Why on earth do the elf women look like 50 year old transvestites?

2. el M Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Conclusion - anyone got release date for NWN 3 ?
    It's going to be a long wait :D

3. catbert

catbert Midnight Snack Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Not as long as it would take to bring NWN2 to shape!

Everyone and their cousin likes to pipe in and say how NWN wasn't all that awesome and bug-less on release either. But then Bioware only had to code a very innovative game engine from scratch, create all the resources (art, sounds), make a development kit, and write a scripting language for it. OE did not do any of that, and they still came out with an all-around embarrassing game.

4. Sir Farivald

Sir Farivald The Obsidian Cleric

I've read through this thread and agree with pretty much everything catbert has said. At first I loved the game, but after getting through most of the Neverwinter section, I've come to hate it. Despise it! It's a failed game, I think. I'm not sure it's even save-able without a complete engine overhaul, and let's face it - that won't happen. I'll stick to NWN1 for the persisten worlds, etc...

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, I wouldn't try to tell anyone what to think, and I know that there are those who are going to dislike, and even hate this game. Hell, I've got plenty of gripes of my own.

On the other hand, the game hasn't even been out for a month yet, and already 2 patches and 1 hotfix have been released. And the next patch is being developed. I won't argue that the game was shipped to stores before it was ready, but if Obsidian can fix most of the glaring stuff within a couple of months of releasing the game, I think we might find that this game has a lot of staying power.

I think back to games like Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil. It was months after release before we saw the first patch. So comparitively, Obsidian and Atari have shown that they plan to aggresively support NWN2. This can only be good for the game, I think.

The other thing to think about is that Bioware really did something pretty amazing with the original game. I think the intensely long development period of the original game has a lot to do with that. So that bar was raised pretty high with NWN2, but the dev time was much more typical.

Lastly, has anyone noticed how friggen huge the official campaign is? You go to one area, which leads to 4 other areas, of which some of those have 2 - 3 levels in them. There are a ton of characters in the story. In short, OE bit off a heck of a lot creating this story (one could certainly argue that they tried to bite off a bit too much).

There's definitely going to be haters, and I'll even say that many of those feelings are justified. But I'll wait to reserve my judgement as to whether or not this game becomes a failure until a couple more patches are out there, and many of the fans have calmed down, and a number of player made modules start appearing on the scene.

6. Man_Solo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This game needs more than a few patches to save it. For the first time in... EVER i have lost all motivation to finish an Rpg! I got to Chapter 3 and just lost all enthusiasm. The lack of immersion is awful,(This sounds stupid, but) I'm very aware i'm playing a videogame. For one the characters are so linear, uninteresting, you have the same dialog options with every character for the majority of the game, even if you've talked about something a million times, it still comes up as a dialog option. Another more personal gripe is the steady decline of the spell horrid wilting, in NWN 1 its visual worsened- slightly, and nowin NWN 2 its visual is awful and its damage has been restricted- 1d8 to 1d6 (like i said thats a personal gripe, you probably don't care) This game has very little to offer with repaly value, you can basically play it twice and you won't miss a detail, because your "trapped" in specific areas until you complete chapters, and become trapped in those chapter specific areas. for me this game is far to linear to retain any interest.

7. Drake-td Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hmm... now that I'm halfway through the game, I must say it was not worth buying a whole new PC for. In fact, I'm thinking about playing IWD2 one more time instead of this (and with this, I don't want to say IWD2 is a worse game, because it is much more fun and a lot better experience overall).

NWN2 actually has a very promising story line, sidequests, and a healthy duration too (not to mention the stronghold, plot-related quests, cool treasures, etc.). The graphics are somewhat lacking (most female faces and male hairstyles are terrible, equipment and weapons also look quite boring), but that's not the biggest problem with the game -- it can be solved by fan-made mods, expansion packs, and so on.

The new engine is just too much KOTOR-style for me. Companions act the same way, level up the same way, romance the same way as they did in KOTOR, and Sunken Flagon = Ebow Hawk basically. These are the biggest flaws of this game in my opinion, and most unfortunately, no patches can fix them :mad: It's not NWN anymore, it a half-KOTOR, half-NWN1 hybrid where NPCs respawn after battles and gain exp automatically even if they are out of the party.

A step in the wrong direction by Obsidian. And I can only hope that if they ever make BG3, they don't ruin it the same way they ruined NWN2.

8. el M Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

this game might well be a good game that will generate new fans and a lot of profit for the producer firm - what pains us is that its called NWN2 :D .

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The biggest pain for me so far is the forcing certain members into the party (and even the entire party structure) late in the game. I didn't mind when it was early.

I like to have a certain party and stick with it. I get used to the strengths and weaknesses of the members and plan my tactics accordingly, as well as equipping them nicely.

Then I get some unknown forced on me late in the game, has no equipment to speak of, so I sometimes have to reform the party twice to get equipment from someone's inventory from my main party... Bah! This was OK in KotOR2 where all the inventory was in common, so it was easy to equip some newcomer.

*** SPOILER ***
    The most egregious example I had was Sydnee Natale's betrayal where I had to have just Qara (whom I had NEVER used prior to this) and Zhjaeve (whom I barely used prior to this), and it was for just a single battle with Natale! Lame.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.