1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Back of the SP Milk Carton

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Death Rabbit, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ragusa has been about a bit recently. I'm sure I saw a couple of his posts in the Alleys too.

2. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Sarevok has gone missing.

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Nakia - I did a little searching, and I found Jag's last post, which was on Feb. 27, 2006. Here's what the lad had to say:
    It seems that his internet is still MIA...but that's not much of an excuse...unless he lives by himself a cave hermit. :skeptic:

I hope that serves as some closure. :p :rolling:

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well, unlike you, some of us like to eat now and then. ;)

I think Olimkrieg has been stuck with school.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    What?!?! I love to eat! But I also like to eat while surfing the net, so I plan for the DSL bill each month. :p
    Besides, libraries, friends, parents, schools, and places of business usually have internet access. But what do I know...maybe he *does* live in a cave right now. :p :rolling:

6. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    School? I'm a plumber :p

Realized I just didn't have an attention-span that suited the academic path.

Well, not really addicted to wow anymore, even with the expansion it's just the same old and gets kinda dull.

I mainly just lurk these days as I don't really have much to say :bad: . And too busy sorting my (as always) way too many projects to get much time to game these days. Though I often consider firing up NwN and have a go on a module :) .

Anyways anyone heard from magpie? He doesn't answer emails :cry: .

7. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Is Felinoid still around?

And what about Arabwel? I kinda miss her typos...

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

What the...?!? I see ghosts!

Good to see ya again, oli.

Wow, an ex-WoW junkie... that means there's still hope.

Ara can be found exclusively in the FAI now... she got fed up of the boards after she got the GMoTW plaque, IIRC...

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Wait, she isn't a native English speaker isn't she? According to Tal's own rules, she is not able to recieve that plaque if she's not.

Otherwise, I'm ****ed. I write far worse than she do. :(

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yup. Mostly in the FAI now (if you think RBP is random, you haven't seen the FAI :roll: ), with most of my time being absorbed by Morrowind and PS:T. Got me hooked, they have. >_<
    Why else do you think she would've left? Tal actually bent his own rules to embarrass her. That he would go that far showed how unwelcome she was here, so she left. Don't get me wrong, though; they're his rules to bend, change, or even break if he wants to. Still, I kinda miss Ara's posts... :bad:

11. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I dont think that Tal really bent his rules. While I miss Ara posting, I think it wasnt the fact that English wasnt her first language (her English was actually pretty good), it was the fact that she never went back to correct something that she spelt incorrectly.

12. Felinoid

A reason for bending the rules doesn't mean he didn't do it. That only speaks to justification.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I am a born English speaker/writer, well USA style and I use spell check. It's handy and useful. Ara's English is excellent but she has a hard time typing. I have my own spell-check as well as the Board's except in FAI>

14. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    So that was it? Phew! It still is a shame, but at least I don't have to be worried that she's gone because something bad would've happened to her. It just happened all of a sudden. I don't think she even left a message in the big goodbye thread...

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What is this, a mutiny? Too bad no one's mentioned these issues earlier, because I obviously need to explain a few things here.

You need to re-read the rules and the FAQ. Most of the rules have been updated many times over the years to take into account unforeseen events, and the GMoTW one is no exception. The rules haven't changed much in the last 2 years because we've reached a point where pretty much everything is covered there, but by no means are they set in stone. Rule #22 always has and always will apply, and it's explained plainly enough there that every single thing can never be covered in a relatively short set of general rules.

Actually, I've explained why Ara was given the plaque when she got it, but apparently some people have missed that. In case this wasn't obvious enough, let me list the reasons again:

1. She was given the GMoTW plaque and not the IoTW plaque simply out of consideration for being a long-time member here, though her actions qualified her for the IoTW plaque fully.

2. She has been warned, repeatedly, to spell-check her posts. To anyone who's ever read one of them, I probably don't need to explain why. I've asked her nicely, angrily, indifferently - it didn't really matter. She's either ignored my warnings, or complied with them for a post or two, and then went back to her old mode of writing. I'm a patient man when it comes to compliance with the rules, but there's a limit to everything. When someone receives 3+ warnings from me over the same thing and keeps on doing it, I stop seeing it as accidental and start seeing it as deliberate. I'm sure that most sensible members will agree with me on that.

3. Spell-checking one's posts has nothing to do with being a native speaker or not. If your spelling is so atrocious (for whatever reason) that the meaning of your posts can't be deciphered most of the time, it's a common courtesy, no - a necessity - to spell-check your posts. There's a link to a spell-checker on top of every page. Firefox has it in-built. IE has a plugin for it. Excuses here are simply not valid. If Arabwel had even the remotest desire to make legible posts, she could have done it easily. So, again, I can't perceive what she was doing as anything other than deliberate.

4. In all the years of this board's existence, I have never, ever, had to warn one person over the same thing as many times as Ara, and still have them ignore the warnings. If it was anyone else, they'd already be banned simply for ignoring repeat moderator warnings.

5. I'm getting the idea here that Felinoid and possibly some other people here think that I have a personal grudge against Ara. That I hate her. That I deliberately wanted to embarrass her. All I can say to that is that I'm sad that anyone here thinks me capable of such pettiness. I run this place as a community, as much for myself as all the other members. I take an active interest in what goes on here, and don't simply consider the boards an extension of the site. I check in every day, and I've grown very attached to this community and its members. I always give more leeway to long-standing members over any issue, though there have been very few that have required my attention in the last few years in comparison with the early years. Some of it is due to the declining traffic on the boards, but most of it is definitely due to the maturity of the community as a whole, and people respecting the rules and those who enforce them.

Besides Ara, I can't remember the last time I had to warn anyone about anything twice, let alone more than three times. People simply respect the fact that someone will enforce the rules, and do their best to comply with them in case a warning is issued. That is the norm, and how most people would expect things to run in a respectable community.

And then there was Ara. Who I've asked repeatedly to show a bit of consideration to those who read her posts and stop making her posts stick out like a sore thumb. I've PMed her, I've talked to her over IRC... all for nothing. After it became completely obvious that she will continue to ignore my warnings, I've resorted to the GMoTW plaque. It's still a bit less threatening than the IoTW plaque, and usually achieves its purpose. But then, Ara decided that rather than finally comply with my requests, she'd just stop posting on the boards altogether. That's certainly her choice to make, if she so wishes. But personally, I've gone way, way out of my way to ensure that she could continue posting, so having these unfounded accusations thrown in my face seems more than a little unfair to me.

[ February 26, 2007, 17:25: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

16. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    @Olimikrig: And good to hear domething about you as well after a long time!

About Arabwel I'd like to add that as much as I've understood, her typos themselves are not and never were deliberate, but the choice not to correct them was. And as much as I think I understand why she continued her way, I have no argument against any of the rules or how they are enforced.

I was just worried about her abrupt disappearance...If she's allright, safe and sound, then I'm quite happy to know that and everything's all right with me.

[ February 26, 2007, 15:17: Message edited by: Iku-Turso ]

17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    @Olimikrig; Hey nice to see you, it's been a long long time since I've seen you here! Hope you'll post again soon.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Didn't know that yet another member was shot down. Bummer, really, so hopefully Arabwel will just check her writing and post less spam if she is ever coming back. I have to say, though, that I don't remember her writings been that bad. There were typos in some of her posts, but to me it seemed like she did them on purpose to sound a bit silly. :hmm:

19. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh, it was. Nobody is that bad at typing, again and again. She was 'known' for her typo's and played on it all the time. I'm not being funny, everyone makes typo's, but not as many as that, especially after warnings! If she wants to be childish about it and throw her toys out the pram, fair enough that's her prerogative. By the sounds of it, Tal gave her enough warnings she just chose not to pay attention. Completely fair and justified in my book.

20. Felinoid

Ah, I'd been wondering about that, considering that spellchecking was in the rules. So consideration is the answer for why you decided to do that.
    You'd think so, wouldn't you? Sadly, it didn't work out that way. Spellcheckers aren't perfect, and half of her attempts ended more mangled than they would have been with the typos.
    Grudge, no. Hate, no more than a general distaste for rule-breaking. Wanted to embarrass her...what else are the plaques for? It's embarrassment as motivation to change so as to avoid further embarrassment or consequences. Though by the PMs (some of which I've seen), it is clear you wanted to put this off a bit, and give her every chance to change.

Do I blame you for Ara's absence? Of course. Your actions led in/directly (depending how you look at it) to her leaving. I also blame Ara for not sticking it out, or maybe even fighting back by leaving posts in their spellchecker-mangled condition to show what the alternative was. Hell, I even blame myself for not pushing her harder to come back and give it another try. There are more than enough people involved in any one event for blame to be spread pretty lightly.
    No unfounded accusations have been made. The rules, as they were at the time, were bent to give her that plaque (instead of the other). Was it justified? I had some reservations at the time, but I figured you had a reason I couldn't think of. More than justified now that I know the reason for the choice of plaque.
    Again, you'd think so, but you'd also be wrong. Ara has problems with her hands/wrists that causes the typos and makes them hell to correct manually. And spellcheckers...I've covered that above.
    Of course she did; it was part of her persona. Just as Kitrax gets asked about technical computer problems because he's the computer guy, I get asked about 2e & BG because I'm the 2e nut, and most everyone knows you're the Sports Guru, Ara was the Tpyo Queen. Not a great title, but she eventually got used to it over the years; it became part of who she was. It's not easy to deny yourself...
    It was certainly her choice, but there was nothing childish about it. If I had some sort of Tourette's that made me type swear words in my posts, I guarantee you'd never see me again, and I don't think you'd call that childish.

To put it plainly, it's simply a tragedy for us that she and the site's rules just don't mesh. The rules can't change for her, and she can't change for the rules. Our loss, but at least we can still find her in the FAI and other places. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.