1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, I can't wait 10 days for the next game! Start it tomorrow!

Actually, no, I'd quite like to catch up on some sleep for a while before the next game . . . .

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The facts:
    The series is all square with two tests to go. I for one would have taken that at the start of the Summer. Our bowlers are as dangerous as are theirs; our batting is improving with one or two always coming to the fore when needed, as is theirs (from some unusual people I'll admit).
    If the rain hadn't cut the test short we would have won, of that I feel sure. Yes it's all 'ifs and buts', but we could easily have set them 500 with a day and a half to get them out. I don't think Lee & Mcgrath could survive two sessions.

The feeling:
    It feels more of a loss than a draw as it's a chance missed to gain an advantage, but I guess it's similar to how they felt after Edgbaston. It's thoroughly exhausting to watch, nevermind to play in; this is definitely the greatest Test series I've ever watched. That's why I said it was an anti-climax though, because we didn't take a 2-1 lead after dominating the Aussies, 1-1 with 2 tests to go is going to be hard. Let's not forget that a draw means Australia retain the Ashes.

The future:
    The next two tests are likely to be as absorbing, and difficult for both sides again. An ideal scenario would be a win for England or even a draw, as that would keep the series alive going into the Oval. An Australia victory would effectively kill the series dead, along with half the interest and banter I would suggest.

Australia now know that we are the main threat to their world crown and we aren't to be took lightly. It must be a concern to them that Magraa and Warne are both at the end of their careers with also Gillespie a spent force with the ball. If England don't regain the Ashes this summer (and they still can), then it's surely only a matter of time, as this young side of Englands will only get better and better. To think of how good they'll be in four or even two years time is quite scary for some but exciting for others. We don't need the press to build them up anymore, it's there for everyone to see and even the most sceptical can no longer deny it.

We now must have the respect of the Aussies and it's no longer a case of them just saying the right things but not believing it. That in itself is an accolade and tells us that we have made it!

Bring it on!!

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree that the best result for the next match would be another close draw, so that the last day of the last test can be the decider.

4. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Just through - highly riveting cricket at 2 a.m.

Finally one of our batsmen made an impact!

Quote o' the day:
    Sandman: "So what are your views on the Barmy Army?"
    Hayden: "They're brilliant. I just love going out there for six hours to be abused, great stuff."

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well that's wrong, Haydens out there for more like 6 minutes! :D

6. Harbourboy

I wonder what changes will be made to the teams for the next test.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I'm guessing Gillespie will be replaced by Kasprowicz for Australia, but I can't see England making any changes unless injuries force their hand. The Aussie batting line-up needs work; they can't keep relying on the tail for runs. I don't know enough about their second string to make any suggestions, though. But I definitely agree with HB that it seems as though the majority can't deal with decent bowling; they've built their reputations on hammering the lesser attacks.

Not that I'm complaining, of course... :grin:

8. Harbourboy

I think Australia needs to change at least one of their batsmen as well. Hayden or Martyn, although I see that Martyn is still rated one of the top 12 batsmen in the world according to the latest PWC ratings.

9. The Magpie

I remember Martyn doing spectacularly well upon re-introduction into the test side a few years ago (his first spell was decidedly lacklustre) and scoring at an average of ~80. He looked almost invincible then, but has been very average so far this series. If Australia can find someone who's determined to hang around and anchor the innings, we could be in for a very tough time at Trent Bridge and the Oval.

Of course, Harmison hasn't really been in top form so far this series, so if he clicks, the Aussies could still struggle. It's all in the balance, as they say... Which makes for a great spectacle. Even my housemate - who has always made a point of saying how much he despises cricket and how it's not even a proper sport - has been gripped. And that can only be good, at the very least to give an alternative to the tedious wall-to-wall football coverage.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Have you seen the World XI sides to play Australia later this year? Most, most impressive. However, it's a shame that Inzamam-ul-Haq hasn't made either of the sides. Also, Boucher keeping wicket for the test side doesn't imspire confidence, I would probably have gone for Sangakkara...

World XI Test squad Graeme Smith (capt), Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid (vc), Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Jacques Kallis, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock, Mark Boucher, Steve Harmison, Shoaib Akhtar, Muttiah Muralitharan, Daniel Vettori.

World XI ODI squad Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar (vc), Jacques Kallis, Brian Lara, Kevin Pietersen, Herschelle Gibbs, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock (capt), Kumar Sangakkara, Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Akhtar, Makhaya Ntini, Muttiah Muralitharan, Daniel Vettori.

11. Harbourboy

No idea how Dan Vettori made the squad. Although he did just break the record for the fastest test century by a New Zealander, he's hardly the world's third best spinner, surely.

Almost time for the 4th test!

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    NZ smacked 397 from 44 overs against Zimbabwe today...

13. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

They are off!

Just checked the 5day forecast and it seems the weather will hold ok too.

I'm looking forward to the weekend. :) Even the wife is starting to warm to cricket now....

14. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Finally Gillespi has been rested, imho he needs to rest up, get fit and train up. At least he was swaped for another South Australian (GO TAITS!). And he's got two wickets already.

And Ponting has his first wicket in six years!!!!! CAIRN PONTS!

[ August 26, 2005, 10:17: Message edited by: Stu ]

15. The Magpie

Don't you worry - I'm sure Vaughan will return the favour at some point... ph34r his off-spin sk1||z! :lol: :shake:

In a serious note, hopefully Freddy and Geraint can knock off a few before getting to the tail, to set a reasonable total. The track seems like a good batting wicket, so it's criminal no-one from the top order managed to get on to a century after getting good starts. Of course, Strauss was unlucky, and Tresco got a beauty, but Bell was being over-cautious. Hell, even Boycott was saying so! You know you've got problems then.

Still, unless something dramatic happens down the tail it seems to be advantage: Australia so far. Hopefully Harmison will get into them their innings and keep us in good touch for the 2nd. It could well be shaping up to be a close one, this...

16. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Cough, cough. 278 must seem a long way away at the moment (30 for 3) :D :D :D

Looking forward to the weekend!

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    99 for 5 and I'm feeling fiiine...

Fully in control here. Although a dodgy LBW decision on Martyn again, he's been a bit unlucky this series.

18. Harbourboy

New Zealand just smashed India last night as well. Go Shane Bond!

Oh yeah, the Ashes. The Ashes aren't as exciting any more because there's only one team in it. England should clean up 3-1 now. They'd have to completely butcher things or fall victim to their own weather for them to not romp away with the Ashes now. Australia did not heed my advice to drop one of their batsmen and yet again we see that they do not deserve the faith the selectors have put in them. It's ironic that Australia's status as the best team in the world is being shattered immediately before the big World XI series. It takes much of the appeal away from that series if Australia are going to be no good.

As a neutral observer, I liked it better when it was nice and close.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's deadly to write the Aussies off or underestimate them, Gaz... Although I'd like to think we are red hot favourites now (weather permitting). And you will forgive me for saying it feels pretty good to be on top against these guys.
    Are we witnessing a new cricket super-power assuming the thrown?

I really wish I was in a better state of mind to revel in this as much as I normally would (get the violins out...).

20. Harbourboy

Well, definitely a test cricket superpower, given your incredible win/draw/loss ratio over the last year or so. But for some reason you don't have anything like as a one day record in recent years, although there's no reason why it shouldn't get much better. Even NZ have a better one day record than England (we were number two in the world for a few weeks earlier this year).

And I hardly think I'm underestimating the Australians. More like I've been over-estimating them given that they seem to be getting worse (or England is getting better - the result is the same).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.