1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The American Taliban

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Cúchulainn, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I guess this is branching out from the 'Freedom of Speech' post.

http://www.reandev.com/taliban/

Some of my favourits:

I have no idea who she is, but she seems to promote cultural and religious tolerance.

I wonder why she got into politics if thats her view?

Clearly not a bigot...

[ June 15, 2005, 17:54: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Wow....that's quite a long list of morons, some are even worse than others. Amazing....

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That's quite the list, Cesard! Are you saying they should be censored? Or that free speech flushes out the worst in people?

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I don't think it's a question of free speech. Sorry if it appears that some people's own words have consquences for them, which in this instance, renders them as morons. That seems to be the case here for these "defenders of the American way."

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's amazing how stupid people can sound when they actually go on record and say something original and unrehearsed instead of hiding behind their speech writers and publicists (wow, three 'and's' in one sentence, TAKE THAT you vile English teachers). But then if nobody went out on a limb we wouldn't have anything to laugh at (except Quail, not even the best speech writers could save him from himself).

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What a bunch of bloody idiots.

7. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Umm... that's an interesting website, but here's my question: what is the source of those quotes, other than an internet site. Change a word here and there, take a clause out of context, and suddenly you've got a wonderful quote to ridicule. On the internet, skepticism is a wonderful thing... unless there are footnotes, endnotes, or some sort of attribution I can follow, I'd be inclined to take a few of those nice, inflammatory quotes with a grain or ten of salt.

Not that I'm jumping into the ring to defend any of those folk in particular, mind you... I care for very few of them, to tell the truth. I just tend to view the web with a certain degree of caution, that's all.

8. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree!

Sincerely,
    - Northern Ireland

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Rofl Death Rabbit :lol:

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Me too - Sincerely, Timothy McVeigh (oh wait, I'm dead, so maybe not)

I'm always inclined to take what I read with a large grain of salt, but, then again, some of these people are that stupid.

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Quite the opposite, its good to see people expressing themselves this way, especially if they are in government.

The point of posting this was to highlight the dangerous views of people in government. I choose the US to make this accessible to everyone ont he board and I am sure most people here could care less about narrow minded N.I. politicians and church leaders.

Good one Death Rabbit, if it was not for Muslims we could all live in a peaceful United Ireland!

12. Derkoth the Disgruntled Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@dmc: Yah, certainly some of those people are that stupid, but I'd still like a bit of extra proof that those things are really what they said before I jump in with 'Good grief those conservatives are jerks!' People tend to believe what they want to, especially when some random tidbit of information supports their already-held opinion.

I still don't deny that some of those folk may have said some of those things (or things substantially like 'em). I just like to have the facts better verified before I pull out the vitriolic ridicule.

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I know for a fact that some of them are true, but yes that does not mean the rest are true. Many websites and even newspapers like to mix fact and fiction to get a point accross.

14. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

That sounds exactly like something Michael Savage would say. The left here hates him almost as much as they hate Limbaugh. But judging by the wording of what he was saying, he was probably responding to some insult from a sufferer of LIDS (Liberal Intelligence Deficiency Syndrome). Which is a mental condition Savage ascribes to most lefties.

15. Chandos the Red

Media:
    In the opinion of some here, it would be insulting to refer to those who make such comments as "conservatives." Most of those who are listed there have not been elected to any public office. Thusly, they only speak from their own ignorance and render themselves what they are by their own remarks, and do not represent a particular, or coherent, political ideology that many conservatives would recognize as "conservative."

16. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Derkoth - The trouble with a lot of internet posting is that there is often a mix of fact with fiction, added words here and there, etc., so you really cannot believe anything you read. That being said, I have heard some amazingly stupid things come out of the mouths of talking heads on both sides of the fence. The problem is that, the more they preach to their own choir, the crazier some of the stuff is to those of us firmly entrenched in the middle, as they are not talking to us.

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Just for general information, Ann Coulter is a female version of Rush Limbaugh -- she made Time's list of 100 biggest people last year. She does not hold any public office that I am aware of.

One little anecdote the Time article shared was when she was interviewing some Vietnam vets and they told her some of their stories and shared some of their opinions; her response was "no wonder you guys lost the war!"

The right DOES need people to balance people like Michael Moore -- which doesn't excuse stupidity of course!

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Coulter and Moore are both entertainers. It's hard to take either of them seriously in a dialogue on the serious issues. Moore has a tendency to raise questions around serious subjects and issues, but has few answers; Coulter believes that she has all the answers and that anyone who dares to disagree must have a worthless opinion. So don't bother to ask any questions if you know what's good for you.

"Time" is now in the same league as "People" magazine, and is no longer regarded as anything more than just fluff. To support this, I hear very little in other media channels about an article of any substance that Time has written. The only time it is mentioned by most anyone else is when it puts out it's meager take on who it beleives is the "Person of the Year." I've never heard of the "100 biggest people" or any such nonsense, so I'm not really sure what that means anyway.

Regarding Coulter, she is merely a sideshow of the conservative movement, which shows signs of becoming more and more fractured in recent months. At least Rush was an original, the rest are just riding his coatails. But I would never make the mistake of putting any of those morons in the same class or league, as say, George Will.

Liberals have the likes of Al Franken, Jon Stewart, Michael Moore and Bill Maher. All of these guys are devastatingly funny and satirical. And while they are good at pointing out that the "king has no clothes," they have lttle else to contirbute in the way of real solutions to the problems we face with ever greater urgency. It would seem that politics has more entertainment value these days than it does workable solutions and ideas that will help get us where we need to be as a nation. And the stakes are so freakin high right now.

[ June 17, 2005, 14:33: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is probably one of the best things I've ever seen posted on these boards. It moved me for it truly sums up the worth of the critics (on both sides) and even many of the posters on these boards. It is always easy to bitch and moan, but if you do to much about of it and don't do anything to change it, then you effectively become white noise.

With your blessing I may actually copy your post to a few other places. Don't worry, I try to always footnote my sources :lol:

20. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Would Stewart be considered a liberal? I've seen him criticize the left just as often as the right, but admittedly I don't watch his show as often as I'd like.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.