1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

That's gonna leave a mark

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by martaug, May 28, 2008.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I may not have the pink dragon breath of doom (I wonder if Listerine can fix that . . . ?) but, last I checked, we had no limits on these boards as to number of topics allowed or number of posts a member can make, so why don't we debate the relative merits of home security systems and gun control in another thread or two?

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

OK, back to the original topic then. A quote from the original threadmaker:

My thought is this -- if some piece of filth strung out on a long list of illiegal pharmaceuticals comes at me to take my money or my property, I want to be able to defend myself, and there IS no overkill for bastards like this. The more punch they can put into one of these things the better. If a criminal in the midst of an illegal act dies, I feel very little pity for him. I voluntarily give plenty of money to legitimate charities to help the truly less fortunate, I'll be d***ed if I'm gonna give any more involuntarily.

Sadly, I don't know if these gadgets are even legal in Canada. They're probably not because the government cares more about criminal rights than victim rights.

3. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @LKD: In Denmark even maze is illegal - after all it could be used as an assault weapon! I can only assume the same goes for hand-held tazers.

@joacqin: Denmark has seen quite a few "home robberies" over the last six months or so - cases where a gang of robbers break into a house at night, wake up the inhabitants (none too kindly) and (brow-)beat them into revealing where they keep their money and other valuables before tying them up. The robbers that have been caught were not the drug addict version of criminal.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Guys - I've asked, nicely I might add, to take the off-topic gun issues to a place where they will be on-topic. This thread is about the taser issue.

I trust that the gun back and forth will find an appropriate home . . . .

5. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

si senor dmc! :)

6. dmc

Media:
    Good lord Gnarff, are you incapable of reading two posts up?

For the last time, take the gun comments and issues to a new thread.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Because there are plenty of lawyers out there who will waive their fee in favor of the publicity they know a high-profile case will get.

Back on topic: I have no interest in owning such a weapon, and I'm not terribly thrilled about the idea of them being made readily available to the public. Can you imagine what sort of other havoc might be caused if one of those things was used to give a jolt to any sort of centralized computer system? Sounds like something out of an action-adventure movie, and not in a good way.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    On top of that Rally, I know so many little arsehole kids who I'd much rather not be able to go and buy one of these willy nilly! Maybe it's just this country, but there's plenty of bored lads who'd buy one of these and run around zapping people with it for a laugh.

9. martaug Gems: 23/31

i'm just waiting on some A@@#### to go to a dance club & start zapping people during a light show. you would never know until the lights came back up. especially since that littler bugger will fit in a pack of cigarettes. who checks your cigs when you go in the club?

@ barmy, at least here most of these i have seen are at gun stores for sell only to adults over 18, but kids have always found ways around those rules(heh, i know i did, when i wanted liquor at 16:))

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  11. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Should these tasers be banned? Some in Canada seem to think so. Too many criminals are being killed when the police Taser them. That's a real pity.

My question is, by the time the bleeding hearts are done, what the bloody **** are the police supposed to use to deal with a 240 pound man who is on a rampage? Polite words? Gentle persuasion? Offer more drugs? I mean, guns are not the answer, billy clubs are not the answer, pepper spray is not the answer, flash bang grenades are not the answer, and now Tasers are not the answer. What tools are we willing to give our police officers to deal with the scum of the earth?

My answer is give them all the tools humanly possible and be **** grateful that the cops are out there keeping slime off the streets. If a few people, in flagrant, blatant and unqualified violation of the law, end up dead, too bad. It's their fault for making stupid choices. If they had just obeyed the law, they'd be alive and kicking. Cruel? Vicious? You bet. I'm tired of mollycoddling criminals around here and tiptoeing around their rights. The police around here always give people the opportunity to smarten up and be cooperative. If they blow that chance, then I say Taser them as often as it takes to settle them down. If the crook is high on meth and dies, gee, whose fault is that? I can tell you right now it's not the cops and it's not the fault of the decent, non-addict citizen whose life the cop just saved by blasting the crook.

As some of you may have guessed, crime in my city has spiked and I, like a lot of people around here, am tired of hearing about the deaths and injuries inflicted on innocents by criminals.

12. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    LKD, I think the problem has more to do with suspects (who may or may not be criminals) being killed by a taser. Canada's had a pretty nasty case not too long ago, when some random foreign guy at the airport got tasered, then tasered again several times because he seemed "suspicious". It then turned out there was nothing criminal about him. Now the argument people generally have is that if the police had used guns the guy would have died anyway. Here's my problem with this argument: people (generally speaking; includes the police) are being much more trigger happy with tasers because they perceive them as being non-lethal. They're not. They're less likely to kill. However, shooting a taser at someone a dozen times in succession is pretty likely to kill (never mind heart conditions and other complications).

Barmy's also raised another potential problem. The neds wouldn't go around shooting a gun at people (well, most of them wouldn't), because they know they will be in trouble if they do. Using a taser though? no problem, it won't kill anyone, so they can have their "fun" and get away with something minor like breach of the peace. And if someone ends up actually dying because of the taser... what are they going to say? "Oops, we didn't mean to"?

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @LKD

The people of Canada are arguing that the police force shouldn't be armed? IMO that is a completely separate issue to civilian gun ownership.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Gun ownership is another thread. Some people in Canada are saying the cops shouldn't have Tasers. I'll elaborate later.

15. martaug Gems: 23/31

The part i don't understand is if canada trains their police like the u.s. does, to get taser certified, you get ZAPPED.Now let me tell you, it hurts a LOT(you know how your calf hurts when it cramps up? well imagine that all over your body. not fun) Granted the pain goes away when the current is stopped but boy does it leave you with a respect for those 2 little wires:)

My point being, since they know how it feels, they should be less inclined to inflict it prematurely on others.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.