1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Teacher under investigation for alleged liberalism

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Great Snook, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    As it turns out, you know even less than what you thought you did. It is alive and well. My mother-in-law is a member in fact.

2. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Aldeth,

Could you give me a deeper insight please?

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Opus Dei is a reigious sub-group of the Catholic Church. The RCC both ackowledges and supports it. I am not a member myself, and have no designs to be, so I can only give you a basic indoctrination into its teachings. It is, at its base, a very strict interpretation of Catholic teachings. Among many of its tennants, it includes going through pain and sacrifice in your pursuit of salvation. Self-mutilation or other painful practices are not necessarily encouraged, but not frowned upon either. They tell you they, "Give the pain up for God." They're pretty sick tickets in my opinion.

4. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I actually did not know this.

I do know, however, that they form one of the most conservative organisations within the church, and have no scruples about mixing into politics.
    They were involved with the spanish Franco regime and were even suspected to be smuggeling weapons to croatia during the jugoslavian civil war. (Remembered of the top of my head. Maybe wrong.)

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/dei.html

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I think that self-mutilation part is incorrect, atleast the official teachings of Opus Dei deny enforcing or supporting such actions. They may have done that some time in the past but they don't do it anymore.

Not that I hold the organisation in very high regard. If you ask me they are a catholic church sanctioned form of the mafia.

6. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I think the Opus Dei have assasinated the subject of this thread.

Do we need to offer Extreme Unction, or does anyone know mouth to mouth?

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Self-mutiliation is not Christian. Inflicting pain upon own body is problematic. Perhaps self-flagellation wasn't so bad in middle ages but those were the times when physical pain was more a part of life than now and the epoch was brutal. The modern man wouldn't really compare self-administered physical pain it to e.g. the hunger he experiences when fasting or the tiredness when praying for long hours into the night. Perhaps self-administered corporal punishment, but not really, either. Suggesting or even condoning self-mutilation is not something a cleric should be doing. Sack clothes and kneeling on beans may work for some, but I think it's mostly hardcore ascetic religious orders. It's about sacrifice as in giving things up, even very basic things and to a great extent, but not as in striking against your own body.

Ah, and mortified means ashamed, while mortuary is the place where corpses wait for autopsy or burial. Morgue in American English, if in a hospital rather than a funeral house. AFAIK, several ancient civilisations might have reached the Americas. The Vikings are pretty much a fully confirmed fact. Doesn't mean Columbus didn't discover the Americas for his contemporaries, anyway. They didn't really have access to the Viking discovery. Plus, Columbus thought he found another way to India even until his last day, so it took some time before the Americas were recognised as a totally new land that they had been for the Vikings (I think).

[ December 01, 2005, 02:07: Message edited by: chevalier ]

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I want to be sure I understand this correctly; tasteless comments are, to your mind, proper grounds for imprisonment?

That's rather frightening, if so.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Uh, yah; that's why it's a vocab question. I figured mortuary was a good wrong answer because it looks like it could be an adjective. (I go by two every day on my bus ride each direction, BTW. Of course, with an hour-long ride through the heart of town, I go by a lot of stuff. :rolleyes: )

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ahem - the thread, if I can remember that far back, concerns a teacher's inappropriate insertion of his own liberal political viewpoint into tests and class. It does not include a vocabulary analysis to see how clever the words were or what other words could be used, nor does it concern various Catholic sub-groups (I know it's hazy, but I checked back on the first page and I'm almost sure neither of those things was mentioned . . . .)

11. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Your silogism twists my words. Raping someone is tasteless and deserves imprisonment. Listening to crappy music is also tasteless, but it is no proper ground for imprisionment.
    This twit should not be jailed because he is tasteless, but because he is a moron advertising drugs to children disguised as a "joke".

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I considered starting a new thread about this. but decided just to add it to this one. I recommend all conservatives remove all breakables from their area before they read this. To think, some people think that teachers can't influence their students.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While I disagree with using the classroom as a political forum, I also support free speech. I also disagree with Ms Faucher's cause, but she is free to talk to anyone about her cause.

I believe the school was ethically wrong to bring her into a classroom to drum up support (which she would not have receive without a captive audience). I would certainly support laws which would make such things illegal.

Being conservative does not mean I wish to restrict someone's rights. I believe there is a time and a place for political activism (and a time and a place where there should not be such activism). I do NOT agree with ANY political agenda in the classroom, liberal or conservative.

Edit: Oops. Left out an important word....

[ December 01, 2005, 20:23: Message edited by: T2Bruno ]

14. Felinoid

Liberal kids; imagine that. :rolleyes: Though I tend to agree with 'Pompa', it looks like the teacher made the effort to make it an open conversation with a lot of the facts. A few things that make me a little leery are:

The decoration of the classroom - teachers aren't (or at least shouldn't be) allowed to decorate it themselves if it's that ridiculously one-sided.

Saying there was "little evidence" without proof of what was presented in the trial - though I would think the students would be able to see through that and question it.

Rewards for writing a letter - even though it's only a button or a bumper sticker that someone who didn't want to write a letter likely wouldn't want, the subconscious reward makes it a little unbalanced.

I wonder what an "alternative" high school is; maybe a school for liberal activists who don't fit in well in "regular" (conservative?) school?

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    An open conversation with a lot of facts? Whoo boy. I saw a one-sided conversation with a lot of opinions, and even an erroneous opinion about Arnold's lack of US citizenship. Pathetic.

At least in the above presentation (which may not truly be representative of what happened), every time there was a dissenting opinion, it was shut down and the conversation redirected.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

@ Svy:

Out of place? No doubt -- I'm not arguing that. Damaging to the children? Not on your life. There's a HUGE difference between making a joke and encouraging a student to use drugs, or teaching kids the Holocaust didn't exist.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm with BTA - that was crap.

If I were in that class, there would have been some serious disruption, because I wouldn't let the "guest" lecturer get away with that (I was often a huge pain to my teachers in high school because I called them on their nonsense -- although no one ever tried to pull a stunt like this).

18. Felinoid

@dmc:
    That's part of my point, actually. Pompa made (and was allowed to make) a number of good points to the other side. If there had been more who thought the same, there would surely have been a spirited debate going. :)

19. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

LKD,

We will have to agree on disagreeing I am afraid.
    ----------------------------------------------------

I am just appaled how these leftist activists just love criminals. For God's sake, I wonder which pass through their heads. Really screwed up.

20. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    [​IMG] LKD - Thus far, I have agreed with just about everything you have posted on this thread, so there has been no need for me to respond. I'm glad there is a voice of reason here - and with real experience in the field of teaching.

But you may just be trying to subvert all those "suggestive young" minds out there. :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.