1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tales of Noobishness.

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mercury Star, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Mercury Star Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Tell us about your adventures in Amn when you were just a meer beginner, unfamiliar with commonly used spells and tactics and such.

1. I took Korgon but he soon became useless. I forgot to equip him with a better weapon than +2 and thus he was always screaming that the "blasted beggar" was immune. Quite amusing when Bernard, the merchant in Copper Coronet, has a nice little flaming +3 axe for sale right from the beginning.

2. Because of stupid decisions, my druid had about 30 hit points by the end of the game. One hit from anything and he was down.

3. Undead was the scourge of my gaming. I didnt know what the hell should I do against their level draining.

4. I came from NWN where killing mages required only a large eneugh weapon or a huge spell. So naturally I failed and failed when the spellcasters where immune to everything.

5. I stopped playing when I reached the quest for the Sigil troupe. When entering the prison plane, I just couldnt kill them in any way :( .

2. valhalla12492 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hehe...I was a noob once. but that was a REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAALY long time ago. I got this +1 longsword for my main character (mathyas, for reference.), and I thought i could kill a mind flayer with it (i got to spellhold very quickly). i soon discovered that wasn't a good idea. i reloaded 14 times just to kill it, but it was worth it!!! i found the Flame of the North on it's body, and it proved VERY useful. but that was 12 months ago. but, i couldn't get past the Underdark. so, carrying the same main character name, i started a new game just a couple of weeks ago. I am now in Suldennessalar.

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I remember having a monk with high Int&Wis, but almost no fighter recuired Str,Dex,Con.

Uhhh.. ever had a guy with five stars in longswords, using a twohander because it looked smaller? :o

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Hehe I was like that but that was back in the BG days :p

My little thief only had about 12 strength ALTHOUGH her dex was at least 16 :D She ended up with like 33 hit points by level seven and it wasn't very nice :(

By the end I was a veteran and when it came to SoA I was just too good :D :D :D

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I played so much p&p before ever owning a computer that I knew enough to avoid these things.

6. Fly2tHeSkY

P&P teaches you all those things?

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I can not forget my first battle with a lich.

'Oo, how can he cast all those stuff instantly...Wow, there are TWO of them! Huh, the screen went black&white? I did not pause the game! What's happening? GAAAH I am DEAD DEAD DEAD! Reload!'

:lol: And now I tackle 'slightly smarter liches' for fun! :rolling:

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I didn't know how to deal with mages at first. I came from the old games where mages were wussies when it came to protection from physical attacks and weren't much better defending against magical attacks; they relied on an army of fighters in front of them for protection. So I took the same approach - all I need to do is aim one attack at the mage per round to prevent him from casting spells right?

Wrong. They now have a dozen of protection spells available, and they come solo without fighters to protect them and can still make you reload.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The first character I played was an Elven Fighter/Mage...who didn't cast anything other than Stoneskin because I didn't know what the spells did... >_< Can you imagine? ME???

Anyways...what else...my party was Myself, Jaheira, Yoshimo, Nalia, Aerie and Korgan...only, I got annoyed by Nalia whining so I picked up Viconia. Now, I thought Cleric meant something on par with Fighter...so I had her dual-weild maces and act as a frontliner...while Korgan was hanging back with a Throwing Axe I found. Heck, I thought throwing axes were cool!! :)

Uhh...what else...it was so long ago, I have a hard time remembering! Oh yeah, I didnt know anything about Staff of the Magi, Kangaxx or ANYTHING...I just played through the whole game, meleeing with my Mages and everything till I got to Irenicus at lvl 15!!!! :o Not a fun experience...

I then discovered SP!! After hanging out here for a while, I played a second game, where I was a Sorcerer, and I had Viconia, Edwin and Korgan in my Party.. Oh that one was SOO much more powerful! :evil:

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Hehe funny how much more fun the game becomes after a lil' visit to SP :D

11. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

I first realized I didn't knew enough when I ran into that lich in the Crooked Crane Inn.

Didn't know what a lich was so I just charged blindly on. Bad idea.

Okay, I thought. This can't be good.

Okay probaly not so good either I thought..

After the Time Stop I thought it was an good idea to run. Cause they can't follow me through the door right?

Wrong. The pit fiend did. And slaughtered all the barguests and the bartender before it turned to my little pityful party.

And I charged blindly on again because I had some of those nice +1 weapons from Irenicus Dungeon, right? And those two guys are separated now, so it is an easier fight, right?

Wrong. My weapon has no effect messages all over the screen and we were slaughtered.

I just sat there and thought what the hell happened here?

Of cause I did that when I ran into my first beholder too. But that's another story....

12. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, in my first playtroughs I used to give my characters weapons that they had no procifiences in. It just looked so much cooler to have everyone Dual Wield katanas... And my tactics were pretty much "CHAAARGE, blood, death, slay them all!!!"
    Protip: mages don't survive against demons in melee.

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    My only true noobie moments were in the original Baldur's Gate (though mages baffled me at first), but I'll still bring up two points about it.

(1) At level six (which is when I stopped playing that game) my mage had a full... eight hit points. Needless to say that coupled with his matching strength score meant he was a behemeth :D

(2) When I finally got to the Duke's coronation ceremony I couldn't figure out what was going on. Whenever I would start getting some damage on Sarevock some guy named Wininsky Petrolate would flamestrike my character, killing him. I used everything that could possibly help (potions of magic resistance/immunity) and still couldn't do anything. So I abandoned ship on that game...

[ October 23, 2006, 01:21: Message edited by: ChickenIsGood ]

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

level 6 with only 6 hitpoints and 6 strength. Now that's what I call impressive.

15. Brallrock Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Almost all of my noobishness happened in BG1, but I do remember the first time I thought I could easily take out a Lich. He kicked my butt and only half woke up to do it.

16. Fly2tHeSkY

How would you be a lvl 6 mage with only 6 hit points??? I thought every mage started with at least 4 right, unless your CON score was just as low as your strength ...

Even then you probably gain AT LEAST 1 hit point per level so you should have more than 6?!?!

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I did some rather silly stuff back in BG too but I was never quite as bad as some examples above. Mainly because I had actually read the manual before starting.

@Silvershield: A mage rolls a D4 for hitpoints. If you have no bonus to HP or, even worse, a penalty, then it is quite concievable to have 1 HP per level.

18. Fly2tHeSkY

That would ONLY work if you started the game with ONE HIT POINT! You would also have to have a really really really low consitution score (like 3 or so). But I don't think you can start the game with 1 hp?

Sorry I'm off topic.

I remember the first time I picked a normal mage and chose friends as my first spell. It didn't make Shank or Carbos like me though :cry:

19. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Hmm, yes I forgot that you'd recive maximum hitpoints on character creation. As you cannot have a -2 penalty according to my book (which makes sense considering the 1 damage Flame arrow that always gets you when just out of Candlekeep), then you would have a minimum of 7 HP on level 6.

20. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I already realized I made an error and corrected it. I really had 8HP with the matching 8 STR. Probably just had 6 in my head because I wrote my level just before them...

My actual stats were 8 STR 18 DEX 8 CON 19 INT 12 WIS 18 CHA with 8 HP at level six (Gnome Illusionist). That HP should be impossible if you do indeed get maximum at the start as 8 CON recieves no penalty according to the game manual. So now I'm in a great state of :confused: Either I was level five at the time (likely) or something with the game was wrong, because I had 8 HP at the time...

Oooh, I just remembered another tale of noobishness... It was in the Nashkell Mines, where you cross the trapped bridge. The only problem was I didn't realize back then that stuff other than chests were trapped yet, so my internal dialogue was something like this...

"Argh the heat from the lava killed me"

*reload*

"Just gotta run faster this time. Died again, and the lava acted faster :confused: "

*reload*

"Hey I got across this time, TAKE THAT HEAT DAMAGE!!!"

[ October 23, 2006, 01:50: Message edited by: ChickenIsGood ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.