1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tactics: Fire Giants

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by joacqin, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Wirhe, you exaggerate so much. Why don't you drop your overzealous crusade against Tactics? If you're not even playing with the current version of Tactics, let people decide for themselves if they want it, and what strategy to beat it with.

2. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

While I generally agree with your sentiment, Col., this is only going to start an off-topic argument. Before this gets out of hand, let's just drop it now.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree. Anything more like this should continue in PM.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To revive this topic with my semi-whines about tactics I am now going to talk about Pit Fiends. More specific the Pit Fiends in the Temple ruins who kill undead and hang out with Liches. What do you need to his these bastards? The liches go down with no problem but the pit fiends, not even a dent and they tear right through any tank not to mention slow and disease them. As of yet they are only challenging, a couple of more tries and I will cry foul! ;)

5. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Protection from evil. The weapon immunities are as in original game.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    IIRC, you need +3 weapons and above to hit Pit Fiends, and they have magic resistance. They will also royally ignore you if you are protected from evil (Prot from evil 10' does wonders in such cases).

Not sure if anything's changed about them in Tactics, but it's worth a try.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I used ProtfE, the sad thing that it was only Haerry who had it in his spellbook so I couldnt get all that many of them. I did manage to kill the one you have to kill though after a massive use of magic missile. +3 weapons just dont cut it seems. The annoying thing was that Mazzy got scared and ran into another room with Lich and Pit Fiend and eventually got chunked there. I didnt even bother to retrieve her equipment.

The shadow dragon was a breeze though. Again magic missile saved the day.

8. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I didn't agree with you on the Fire Giants, but the Improved Pit Fiends are tough, no doubt about it. You'll want Protection from Evil 10' radius UNLESS you want to actually kill one, because they remain invisible permanently if they have no targets to attack. To beat one early in the game, you really, really need to have the periapt of proof against poison and a +3 weapon. Slap him silly with magic missiles by loading up minor sequencer(s) with them. Use haste to counter, if only briefly, the slow affect of his attacks. MMM can work well against him too.

The first time I faced an improved pit fiend was also at the ruined temple. I was so low level, and had no +3 weapons, that I used ProEvil10'Radius and killed the two liches. Then I just walked right by the pit fiends and left them there. When I came back to heal my vamped girlfriend, however...that was another story :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.