1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

System specs

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Beren, May 24, 2004.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Wow! It's hard to believe another full two years has past since the last set of comments and still no DA. "Time stand still."

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I just read my own post and saw the date. 2006. release for 2009q1? I don't believe it. Perhaps they had to redo the entire engine?

This is getting silly.

3. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Will it actually be released on Xbox 360 and PS3? I'm looking forward to the game, but I won't buy a new pc for it. Mine is a 2 Ghz processor. Old and it normally won't work for NWN2 (i should try it), and it won't work for this one. If Bioware goes along with its time, they should release a console version. :)

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

It has been confirmed that DA will be released later for consoles, unfortunately. I am not sure if it will be on the Xbox 360, PS3 or both though.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Most of the early articles covering the console side start with a release date 6 months after it hits the PCs; last I heard all three should be released at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  6. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    From what I understand, a major factor of the long timeframes related to building the IP itself. It seems that the goal is to build a deep, immersive world that can serve as a backdrop for many, many games to come. Similar, in this regard, to the D&D world, but without the insufferable red tape (and extra expense) that is required to use that IP.

I, for one, am glad to see a game developer really taking their time, for a change. I hope that the final product is really worth it (seems that it will be, so far).

7. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I know, but they could have said it was due around 2009. I am crossed whit them because it feels that this project was put in the icebox for a console hit. After mass effect they took it out to heat it up, and someone came up whit the great idea to make a trillogy. Meaning 3 short games instead of one whit a expansion. I do not care what Bioware says on their forum, it is theirs, so when they say it it X-times bigger than game Y I expect lots of empty spaces to mako ride around in.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Based on what I've seen around the Net my guess is that it might be out 3rd qt 2009. The spread seems to be from 2nd qt to 4th qt. I will happily wait for a really good game with few or no bugs.

Everything I've read sounds good.

9. webslug Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Dragon Age

The videos look good, I'm interested in this game and wonder what it will be like.

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    What is it with Bioware and console lately? Ever since the original Kotor they seemed more eager to release game for them than PC. Meh! I hope that at least they'll release both the PC and the console version at the same date.

Not that it matter really, my computer while it's only two years old, is still probably not powerful enough. I still got a geforce 6600.

11. Merlanni

Media:
    Dont get me started whit Bioware. I am pissed to extreme's. More people noticed that their attention span has shifted to console. They say it is not so and the pc is still...... etc etc. Meanwhile they release the very short Jade Empire and the little less short Mass Effect for pc, both ported from xbox.

On top of everything Dragon age is now a trilogy and will be released for console later. So you tell me what that adds up to.

12. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Meh, of course they're going to lean more and more toward the console market since that seems to be mainstream these days. A big company like Bioware will always follow the money; I don't think their investors care much about our whine posts here on SP :p.
    Besides both Mass Effect and Fallout 3 did an excellent job and works quite well both on xbox and PC so I don't see why they shouldn't be able to make a great game, which will work fine on both consoles and PCs.

13. Merlanni

Media:
    So was Kotor. But Jade empire was not, and Mass effect was less than Kotor. Is it that worlds made up by a mere gamesstudio are not developed enough yet to cover the holes left by poor questing?

The combat in fallout3 is good. The combat in mass effect was to far dumbed down. It annoyed me. I want the path to go towards Kotor, fallout 3.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Here is the deal with console vs. PC. Console gamers are willing to pay the premium price for new releases. For Xbox and PS3 the premium price is $50-60; however, computer gamers only pay $40. On top of that the console sales increase because not only are the games being purchased by standard gamers like us, the game is also being purchased by rental companies like Netflix, Block Buster, etc... These rental stores add into their total sales. If Bioware does release all three it would be nice if they had a special incentive if you purchased the PC edition vs. a console edition; like free downloadable content, etc....

One more thing... there are gamers who will purchase the PC edition and the console edition of the game for comparison purposes. These are all added sales that Bioware needds to make future games, because with lower sales they will slowly fade like Black Isle studios.

15. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Using VATS combat in FO3 was pretty dumbed down as well, but then again, you got the option to choose whether you wanted to aim yourself or use the built-in "aimbot" ;).
    It would be nice if future FPSish RPGs along the lines of Mass Effect etc. would use the same approach when it comes to combat (two side-along combat systems that will allow for better gameplay for both console and PC users), since it will always have to be somewhat dumbed down for the console market seeing as it's significantly harder to aim using a joypad than it is with a mouse.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Merlanni, the reason we've been waiting so long isn't because anything was put on any back burners, but because the game was announced and the forums were set up essentially when they decided to start making the game, whereas most games aren't even announced until they're a year or so away from release. They had the entire world and a brand new engine to build from scratch. The fact that they're done in a fairly normal total development time (4-5 years these days) is pretty impressive.

As for PC vs Console, you first complain about being thrown bones from the console games (ME, JE, etc.) and then complain that consoles will be thrown similar bones from PC? Why? Why wouldn't a company that has spent all that time creating a world and engine for one and sees a reasonable posibility that it can work for the other do so? You're essentially doubling or tripling the market range of your game with only minimal work. It's almost like developing a whole new game in a few month's time instead of a few years.

Oh, and they've said the console version will be released Q3 2009, so they get it 6 months after PCs do. They've also sworn on their black hearts that nothing in the PC version is in any way being toned down to make it easier to port. You will get a PC game, you will likely get it within 3-6 months, and it will likely be somewhere between BG2 and the greatest Bioware game you've played since BG2 (Kotor?). Unless you're an action-RPG fan, that is. That means I don't expect it to top BGII, but I do expect it to top everything else. I also expect the PC version to rock, though I'm less certain of console versions.

All in all, though, it seems to me that you're mad at Bioware for doing what it said it'd do.

17. Merlanni

Media:
    I know, and I get it. They realize their mistake. never mind those issues. Just get things strait and work on both versions Bioware. Xbox exclusive for JE and ME, o not any more. PC first for DA in spring 2009, o not any more.

That kind of company talk was not Bioware's trademark. Now it is.

Dragon age has been postphoned an other 6 months for a co-release whit the console. No need to say that things got a bit hot at their boards.

Please Bioware stay silent next time and say nothing until you have a nice game to buy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.