1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Switching from Windows to Linux: Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmmm, I think I have enough challenges in my life without making my PC more challenging.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I don't think SuSe is that much of a "challenge." It seems to work almost like Windows when it comes to GUI, so for office use it is pretty good. At least it does seem so at my uni.

Interesting how many people think that Linux is only for computer geeks. :shake:

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

It IS based on Unix, nontheless...

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    That's why I haven't used it in 5 years :roll:

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

That was years ago and during this time the GUI has developed. Okay, I have never installed SuSe and Ubuntu let me down, but using it shouldn't require insane geek-skills anymore. Even though Morgoth could probably benefit from them nevertheless. :D

6. Disciple of The Watch

Hey, now that I think of it... Does Linux boot from the CD like Win2k and XP does, or do I have to make some partitions first like in 98 and ME? A friend of mine got me Mandrake, but he burnt it as an ISO image...

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you mean does the installer boot from the CD, then at least Fedora does.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

I'm pretty sure they all do. The most popular ones, at least, since that is the standard of today. Just burn the image to a DVD as a "Bootable DVD" and that's it.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Ubuntu (latest version) and Knoppix are real fun to install: they OS boots from CD, then you run the installer and go do something else while the OS is being installed on your system. The desktop is still there, and you have access to everything, including internet. Nice :)

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, sounds... too easy. There must be a trick somewhere - otherwise we'd all be doing it.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. He burnt it as an ISO image with Alcohol 120%, but I'm not sure if he burnt it as bootable... I'll have to ask him next time he drops by. It's the 2006 version of Mandrake, BTW.

And Harbs, technology doesen't always have to be a complicated biatch, does it? :heh:

12. Ziad

Media:
    It IS easy. It's why Ubuntu refers to itself as "Linux for human beings" :lol:
    The only reason we don't all do it is that M$ have convinced us that their OS is the easiest and most stable, and that moving to something else is such a complicated and difficult hassle. Both statements are lies, and they know it, but it's hard for us to break habits when they're so deeply ingrained.

13. Harbourboy

But this thread is full of people having problems with their Linuxes. Plus, my Windows works fine, so there is no point in me changing.

14. Disciple of The Watch

Some versions of Linux are more complicated, true. And Windows works fine, does it? Good on ya. I just caught some crap spyware that's a pain to remove - Kill & Clean, IIRC, some kind of spyware masquerading as anti-spyware, and the bastard took the liberty of installing an unremovable search tool bar... guess what the categories are? Gambling, pharmacy, pr0n, and crap like that. Everytime I try to remove it it brings me to a website asking why I want to remove it. BECAUSE I DIDN'T ASKED FOR IT, DUMBASS!!!

I'll call my friend to pick up my Linux tonight. That's the one last thing I needed to totally piss me off M$.

15. Ziad

Media:
    Normally I would tell you that you cannot blame the software manufacturer if people maliciously abuse it. I will make an exception in the particular case of M$, because the only reason there's so much Xware that attacks their products is not due, as commonly believed, to the fact they're widely used, but to the fact they're very shoddily programmed.

Want me to start on the problems I have with Windws? :shake:

Seriously, go with whatever works for you. If you're happy with Windows, stick to it. I won't blame you for staying with what works. But I do get ticked off when people have problems with Windows and just decide to stay with it because "there's nothing else that'll work". There are other options, and they're always worth a try.

16. Disciple of The Watch

And normally I wouldn't blame the software manufacturer... but this IS M$ after all. Tell you what, I was cursing like a sailor when reinstalling Win2k (haven't yet got my Linux... ****ing slowpoke!) and yelling "Windows blows!" and my brother combined "Windows" and "Blows" to form a new name for M$: "Winblows". :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Anyway, after this M$ bashing, I must say I'm looking foward to getting on Linux. Reinstalling Windows was bad enough, I decided against reinstalling ME, because it seriously blows! So 2k it is for the moment. I can hear my comp screaming for mercy.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.