1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SW: KoToR (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by Enagonios, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Eric

if you play your usual ls consular and never swing your saber you'll have a problem killing anything :p i think it could be possible for a darkside consular though.. even if they ARE the good guys, the lightside should have more offensive spells.. i mean, c'mon, "Destroy DROID"?? :rolleyes:

I played through as a lightside guardian, it rocked, and a darkside consular was even better. I'm having a bit of a prob getting into my ls consular though :/

2. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I was speaking of consulars in general, but I think a ls consular could take this no-swing challenge as well.

First of all I might take a ds damaging power to help out a little if I played a ls no-saber consular. But even if I didn't (I smell a challenge coming!), I think it would still be pretty easy. I guess I'd have to get a ruling on using throw lightsaber, which I assumed I'd have access to when I made up this little idea. There'd be no other way to kill the two terentatek on Korriban, as I see it...although you could probably replace throw lightsaber with mines and grenades there. For every normal fight in the game, it is a simple matter of using stun to paralyze them and let Mission kill them for you--her criticals kick in on every attack that way, so that at high levels she hits as hard as a guardian. Force whirlwind accomplishes the same thing, but on single targets like Malak. It would be boring, but I could kill Malak with just Force whirlwind. One thing I haven't really thought through yet is how to handle Juhani--I'd have to take a look at what powers are available to you when you face her.

Don't forget who you're talking to here. I soloed Improved Illych in the Tactics mod. :D

3. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Lightside spells are set more to improve your character or boost or enhance him not damage your enemies. The lightside view is that the force is not for attacking. So I'm suprised they even have destroy droid in there.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Droid is not a life form, so probably that's why. The light side Jedi used it in Star Wars movies, as well.

Taking dark side powers for a light side Jedi doesn't really look nice from the roleplaying point of view. In PnP Star Wars, it would give you dark side points or at least lead to getting them, as drawing on the dark side at least verges on an evil act.

I believe Master Valour, Force Armour and Heal plus maybe Force Immunity and Energy Resistance would give you all the defence you need to be able to deal with your enemies by Wave and Stasis alone.

I don't know your reasons for going no lightsabre consular, but if you want to roleplay such a goodie goodie that won't even draw a weapon on his enemies, using a dark side power on them will be even worse, so it will defeat the purpose.

Funny thing, my character was a lightsabre rattling consular with more of a death wish than most guardians have. ;) He even took on Malak in melee (and owned him like no tomorrow).

[ January 25, 2005, 18:14: Message edited by: chevalier ]

5. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

Really? I've seen Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon force push a few battle droids but I've never seen them use some sort of destructive lightning thing that destroyed a droid. Do you remember where in the movies they used it?

6. chevalier

Media:
    Hmm... the lowest level of that power is Stun Droid. You sure they didn't stun the droids at any point? In Episode II, there was a huge display of Destroy Droid during the battle with Duku.

7. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

Oh yea now I remember. But I don't remember who all was using it.

8. chevalier

Media:
    All the light side Jedi attacked by Dooku's droids were using it.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

True, if we were talking strictly a lightside consular. But a Darkside consular could do it just because he wanted to show his strength in the force. Kinda like Emperor Palpatine

10. chevalier

Media:
    That's correct, so that's why I was asking. Well, this makes me think of one of my "projects", which was to be a guardian with good WIS and CHA, drawing his lightsabre only when absolutely needed, i.e. not in most battles.

So much as there no lightsabre Jedi (strictly or not), there are also no Force Jedi (again, strictly or not). For the former, using the lightsabre is the last resort, for the latter using the Force to your advantage is that. The general sentiment towards buffs rather than offensive powers connects here.

11. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

If I were to play such a game, I would definitely roleplay a light side consular and not use a dark side power (as I stated earlier in the thread, I just can't get into playing dark side). But the point of my post was simply to illustrate the power of the consular, which Viper3220 seemed to either disbelieve or mock (I couldn't tell which). The bias seems to be that guardians are stronger because they can do more damage with their sabers, and that is the illusion I was trying to dispel.

12. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

It was disbelief I assure you. I hear all this talk about people having 5 attacks with a 34 strength with a guardian and wiping the most healthy enemies out in 2 rounds whilst I hear "you'll have a hard time if you're a consular..." that and I usually don't take this into account... but they don't have very much hp and unless you focus your attrib points into dex and your feats into dueling you're going to get hit alot. (I'm actually playing a consular in Kotor II right now and I'm loving it!)

13. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Viper - is KOTOR2 out yet?

14. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

KOTOR2 came out in December for XBOX. It comes out in a few weeks for PC.

Viper, I got a little confused in the middle of your post. Were you saying that the 34 strength guardians have low hp and dex, or that consulars do? Just curious.

And just to underline my point from earlier, consulars do that kind of damage too, even with a lightsaber. There is only one monster in the game that a super-guardian can kill faster than a consular, and that's a terentatek.

Anyway, glad to hear you like the consular in KOTOR2. But no spoilers please! I can't wait to start playing that game. :D

15. chevalier

Media:
    Believe me, my consular had four attacks with one lightsabre with Attack Bonus in the fourties and the damage wasn't small, either. He owned Malak like no tomorrow in lightsabre combat using two powers on self - Master Speed and Master Valour. In most cases, he didn't even need force powers to trash folks around, and his AC was quite comfortable, as well. Stats (initial): 14-12-10-14-14-14.

You could still score five attacks, but that would rely on dual-wielding. At best, you get -2 to hit, with Master Two Weapon Fighting (or however it was called). With Master Duelling (for one weapon), you get +3 to attack and defence. Add Master Flurry for one additional attack and with two weapons you have -4 to attack and -2 to defence, while with one you have +1 to attack and +1 to defence.

Now, soldier/guardians with their supreme attack bonus could try and pull off dual-wielding with Power Attack turned on, which is about -5 to hit for one additional attack and +10 to damage. I'm not really sure if this pays off. I suppose Master Duelling + Master Flurry combo with one weapon is the deadliest, except for Master Critical with Duelling (+3 to hit, -2 to AC together, crits like 15-20).

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The characters I enjoyed the most wielded one lightsabre and had duelling and then master flurry and master speed. Chop chop.

17. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

KOTOR has to be one of the best games I've ever played. I played it a while ago, when it first came out on the Xbox.

Recently beat KOTOR2 (3-4 weeks ago), and I enjoyed it more than the original.

Also, I find it very humorous how everyone demands you have to dual-wield lightsabers and powergame it. Both games are insanely easy and can be beaten with pretty much anything you want. To me, a Jedi Consular with two lightsabers just doesn't seem right, even if they add a ton of Wisdom. But that's just me.

18. Viper3220 Gems: 2/31

@Eric
    I was talking about consulars when I was saying about low hp.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.