1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Surgery

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Stefanina, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    I'll see how much I get through, as Happy Fun Time is wearing off and the room is rotating.
    First off, when I got home Friday, there was a message to me from Shands asking for info, but I got a voicemail when I called back. Oh, well. I called the check in number about 7:15pm and was told my check in time was 7:30. About an hour later, I got a call saying check in time was 12:30. Got the second girl's name, and went through my evening routine. I did not eat anything after 9:30pm, well before the midnight cutoff. This turned out to be a mistake, I think.
    Sat morning I wake up with a headache. No big surprise, my sinuses hate me. I call Shands back, verify my info and the fact I followed pre-op directions, and was told I had a $15 copay to make. I thought is was $25. I'll find out later, I suppose. An hour later, I get a call for a Jennifer F*****. Umm, no, not me.
    About 10:30, i start going stir crazy, so I asked mom to take me somewhere, anywhere, I don't care to distract me, as full blown anxiety is now setting in. We go to Yarnworks so mom can get 16" circular needles. They now carry the Debbie Bliss silk yarn! Woohoo! We then go to the credit union to deposit checks, and head to the hospital, getting there an hour early. This turned out to be a very good thing. They had my info and Jennifer's info mixed all up, so it took a good long while to figure things out and fix them, because I was NOT going to let the doctors do an L4 spinal procedure on me! I'm sure there were some serious rules broken there, but since both of us have common names (I am one of at least five C******** F*****-s) in my town.) I doubt there will be any resulting problems.
    I only waited a few minutes in the waiting room before going back to pre-op around 12:30, my original scheduled check in time. By then my headache was light and sound sensitive, with accompanying nausea. Yep, it was a migraine by then.
    After signing the forms, and designating mom as my healthcare surrogate, it was time for the IV. I won't lie, that SUCKED. First off, I am dehydrated, so my veins did not want to cooperate. The girl was good, she got it on the first try, but it HURT. I had tears running down my face. Then she tried to take blood. That did not work well, my veins did not want to give up the blood. First the started the IV fluid, then they tried the right wrist. Again, OWOWOWOWOW!!! Pain, and not fun pain! That vein gave up after a few cc's. Then they (the first girl called over another) went back the the left arm, and tried the vein in the elbow. That was not bad except that I was OVER needles by then, and was now a whimpering gibbering mess. When that failed to produce blood, I said NO MORE! They agreed and said if the doc needs more blood, they can get it while I'm knocked out. then I had to pee ina cup for a pregnancy test. I knew that was negative, but they are right to be paranoid.
    After I got back on the bed, my stomach had had it, and I puked. Tried to, anyways. I think I only puked up saline, LOL. this required changing the blankets and my gown. The male orderly had to cut the ties of the old one, since I had slipped it over my head due to a big knot in one of the ties. He was trying to change me without exposing anything, and I finally told him not to bother. The curtain was pulled and mom was in there with me, and I really didn't give a hoot if some guy saw me naked, I just wanted the change done with minimal jostling, as I was still heaving.
    Then the anesthesiologist pushed Zantac through the IV, which once again HURT! I actually kinds screamed at that one since it caught me by surprise. the people who know me well can imagine how that effected the pre-op staff. Yeah, everyone jumped. She warned me as she pushed the Propofol, and the "milk of amnesia" took effect, I did not remember anything 'til I came to.
    Oddly enough, despite warnings from friends, I was aware of the fact that considerable time had passed. I touched the side of my face and felt a lump, and asked why I still had a face lump after surgery. The recovery nurse was surprised I was communicative and aware that I was post-op. She told me what I felt was swelling and to please leave it alone, which I did. I drifted off again, and woke up to a male nurse telling me he was going to transfer me from the bed to a rolling chair, then rolled me to a different area of recovery. After that, the female nurse got me a ginger ale and had my mom brought up. Mom got the car as I was finishing the drink, and I was discharged. We went to CVS to fill the Percocet prescription, and I had an intense craving for French onion soup. Mom didn't want to drive anywhere else, so I called my friend Ever and she obliged me.
    I am home now, curled up in bed with my laptop. My left wrist hurts as does my throat, and Happy Fun time is wearing off, so the right side of my face feels funny and the room is slowly rotating. I shall eventually take a pain pill and go night-night.
    I do know that I was restrained during surgery, and that I was intubated. the lump was officially diagnosed as a sebaceous cyst. Hopefully after the swelling goes down my earlobe will finally unfold.

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    They knocked you out for a cyst?!?! I had a huge one removed a couple of years back (It was pressing on a nerve and making my face droop) and they just used a local! Your hospital must have nicer doctors than mine :lol:

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Depends on where it is. My mother was under local when she had one removed from her back and she coughed during the procedure. One of the attendings had left the room before it happened and when he came back he looked around the room and in a panicky voice exclaimed "What the hell happened?!" :lol:

4. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    It was on my right jaw, wight by my ear. the stitches are behind my ear. When he mentioned cutting the nerve is when he said he was going to have to knock me out. I thought it rather weird at the time myself, but hey, as long as it was covered, I was okay with it.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've managed to get a cyst inside my eyelid and two possible under my shoulderblade but luckily they're small enough and will probably disappear in two months to two years with no problems.

Ones under the shoulder could be trapped nerves apparently, the person freaked out a little when I reached round and had a feel for myself >_>

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.